Hub Lift Specs

danegarreau

hey i was interested in making my own hub lift thingamabobby and i was wondering what the average 45s hub dimensions were, and what ironminds hub lift dimensions were. Any help would be appreciated. thanks

The average 45 plates do not have good hubs. The dimensions of the hub on the Hampton plates that I use for hublifting are 3" x 1 1/4" deep. I do not know the dimensions of the old York or Marcy hubs. Good Luck.

David Thornton-

Hampton plaates? Tell me about them? I found some new ones with pretty hubs. The only problem was they were way too slippery.

What plate are you using? did you take off the finish?

-HH

Dan,

I could measure my INTERNATIONAL 35# plates and tell you what I come up with. They are perfect for hub lifting... deep and close.

I built the hockey puck thingamabobby and you could use that too.

Iron Mind Hub lift

The Hub:

OD 3"

H 1 3/16"

The hub sits on a washer that's 4 1/2" outside diameter with a 2 1/8" inside hole.

The bar that you clip the weights to is welded to the bottom of this washer.

Hampton plaates? Tell me about them? I found some new ones with pretty hubs. The only problem was they were way too slippery.

-HH I am using the Hampton wide 45s, the finish is very, very slippery. They do have a good Hub, but some of the finish needs to be taken off if you want to work up to any weight. A wire brush works OK. Chalk will help the most though. I believe Old Guy mentioned leaving them outside for a while. If you can't find old York, Marcy, or Jackson plates they are an option. Dave

-HH I am using the Hampton wide 45s, the finish is very, very slippery. They do have a good Hub, but some of the finish needs to be taken off if you want to work up to any weight. A wire brush works OK. Chalk will help the most though. I believe Old Guy mentioned leaving them outside for a while. If you can't find old York, Marcy, or Jackson plates they are an option. Dave

Clamp the Hamptons in a vice and and get some Aluminum Oxide

Resin Sanding Belts. 3"x 21". (you can get these at any hardware store)

Cut the belt in two along the length or through the middle of the belt getting

2 pieces 1.5". Cut a single belt in half so that you now have one long belt

21" x 1.5 inches . Buy the 80 grit

Place the belt on the hub like you are buffing a pair of shoes and pull the

belt back and forth along the hub. This 80 grit will rip that finish right down

to the metal in no time... yas sir! Rotate the plate in the vise to get the

whole surface

It it is of any help, the Ironmind hub is very close to the size of an Ivanko 45 lb plate hub, and the hub of the York plate used by Wade is close in size to that of my black painted Cap 45 lb plates.