I really need some advice

AdriaanRobert96

So I thought about asking here but I wasn’t really sure..

The issue I’d like so light on is me always getting a stiff mid back and upper traps from working shoulders or back..

We talking stiffness that radiates to the jaw and neck aswell.

It all started during my “calisthenics years” before going into weights, where I worked on my planche hold and I heard a slight pop in my left shoulder.

It didn’t hurt, did not have issue weeks after..

Although as soon as I started emphasizing shoulder work or back work it always messed with me.

It even messes with my hand on the left side, my middle finger radiates tightness in some weird way.

I know “go and see a professional” and I will but I wanted to see if anyone else has this issue with mid back being stiff/tight from ohp and other shoulder exercise.

Thanks lads.

• Like 1

It's very hard to address a specific unknown problem with a generalized unknown solution.  See a doctor - at least know what it is you're trying to fix.  The wrong therapy can not only not help but actually make it worse.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Check your lat flexibility, and scapular areas. If there is tightness, or your scapular area doesn’t move properly, you’ll shrug and or keep your shoulders forward or rounded. Which the traps and neck suffer from. 

• Thanks 1

First my advice would be to see a Dr...

I'll try and keep this very short. Short answer is yoga and foam rolling. 

I'm a natural very tense person. Just how I carry myself. My late teens and early to mid 20s,  I was constantly injuring something, had stuff similar to you, bad sciatica.... I could go on and on. But I started doing yoga 5 years ago give or take. I've never felt better.  

It could be a number of things.. If you don't want to see a doctor.. Start doing 10-30 minutes of yoga or stretching as often as possible... Maybe get some lacrosse balls and lay on them, do some trigger point stuff. I'm sure you started pressing around in your upper back you could find some knots.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, C8Myotome said:

"Radiating tightness" do you mean nerve tension with radiating nerve pain? Or muscular tightness?

Muscle tightness..

5 hours ago, slazbob said:

Check your lat flexibility, and scapular areas. If there is tightness, or your scapular area doesn’t move properly, you’ll shrug and or keep your shoulders forward or rounded. Which the traps and neck suffer from. 

This was my first thought tbh, I feel there’s an issue with my scapula movement/ maybe tight lats because I always subconciously notice how my traps are shrugged when I wake up in the mornings.

• Like 1

Yup I can now confirm that tight lats were the issue, I did lat stretches for about 2 days now and it’s like I never had an issue in the first place.

Thanks a lot lads😅

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AdriaanRobert96 said:

Yup I can now confirm that tight lats were the issue, I did lat stretches for about 2 days now and it’s like I never had an issue in the first place.

Thanks a lot lads😅

That will do it. Don’t forget to keep stretching them.

glad your feeling better.

• Thanks 1