Ruminations on possibility, limits, and perseverance

Vinnie

"I set no limits because I have none"

Gary ' Gazza' Hunt 

I really like this quote. 

@Vinnie, you certified on the #3 with no excuses while guys half your age and twice you size complain that they'll never do it. That right there should be enough for you to realize that you can do much more than you think. 

If you wanna keep with gripper goals I'd suggest GHP 8, CoC 3.5 then MM3. 

If you wanna lift the inch, that's definitely possible too. 

Choose one and get after it, we (the grip community) got your back! 

• Like 5

45 minutes ago, stranger said:

"I set no limits because I have none"

Gary ' Gazza' Hunt 

I really like this quote. 

@Vinnie, you certified on the #3 with no excuses while guys half your age and twice you size complain that they'll never do it. That right there should be enough for you to realize that you can do much more than you think. 

If you wanna keep with gripper goals I'd suggest GHP 8, CoC 3.5 then MM3. 

If you wanna lift the inch, that's definitely possible too. 

Choose one and get after it, we (the grip community) got your back! 

also theres no such thing as being over the limit if you have no limit...

I think @Vinnie can do it.  We do all have your back like @stranger said!

• Like 3

I told a guy in my youtube comments that fixating on some number or a feat creates a psychological barrier in the mind.  I approach training with consistency in mind and many smaller, manageable milestones along the way.  Once I hit the wall, I'll turn around and look back at where I came from and ended up.  I'm just enjoying the ride while it lasts.

Have fun or simply find contentment in the journey and struggle.

Edited by dubyagrip
  • Like 6

42 minutes ago, dubyagrip said:

I told a guy in my youtube comments that fixating on some number or a feat creates a psychological barrier in the mind.  I approach training with consistency in mind and many smaller, manageable milestones along the way.  Once I hit the wall, I'll turn around and look back at where I came from and ended up.  I'm just enjoying the ride while it lasts.

Have fun or simply find contentment in the journey and struggle.

For example, I considered the MM1 and MM2 as validators of my strength as opposed to major milestones or goals.  I had a much easier time opening the package and closing them this way.  The only pressure I put on myself was to try and get a TNS close after demonstrating successful, valid closes but this was purely for fun and show.  I know the MM3 is at the very top of my range right now, so I'll wait until I meet the training milestone of closing 185 RGC from 38mm before signing up.  At that point, the MM3 close will be exciting and not very stressful at all.

It's all about perspective and being selective on how and when you pressure yourself.

I hope this helps, but it feels like rambling... 

Edited by dubyagrip
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, stranger said:

GHP 8, CoC 3.5 then MM3

I know MM3 is harder than an average 3.5, but since it is an MM close and you don't know what you are going to have to CCS coming out of the 3.5 package, I imagine that might not be a harder goal than the IM 3.5 cert.

I think the GHP 8 might be possible for me if I shop for an easy one, which is not against the rules, but it might not make me feel special lol.  I may see what kind of gains I make if I shoot for the Inch for a while.  Looking forward to borrowing Tim's 120-something bell for holds and reps.

• Like 5

12 hours ago, DevilErik said:

A 60mm handle isn't thickbar for me I can't lift the inch but it wouldn't be impressive if I could in my opinion.

My hands are 8.66"(22cm) long and my fingers are almost able to touch on a 60mm handle which is stupid.

I prefer Fatgripz Extreme on a cheap handle and I am definitely going to get a 3" rolling handle in the future.

received_2199945430143543.jpeg

Here's my 7.66"/19.5cm

IMG_20230308_111535_edit_349382186772205.jpg

• Like 2

Just now, JohnPond said:

Here's my 7.66"/19.5cm

You need a bigger handle sir!

• Like 1

Just now, JohnPond said:

I have 3" already. 👍😁

Nice!

3 hours ago, JohnPond said:

Here's my 7.66"/19.5cm

Dang. You know what they say about big hands… big gloves.

I remeasured my hands this time with ruler vs tape. Left is roughly 7 3/4, and right is 7 5/8.

I just don’t know official way to measure hands

66E193C4-D663-4A45-9FB6-2049E6B41DD7.jpeg

• Like 2

I present to you, a chunky hand with a short thumb. My hand size is 8 inches but I still get less coverage than most people with smaller hands because of my cursed thumb.

IMG_20230308_165321.jpg

• Like 3

Whatever's going on here

IMG_4246.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I'm just doing what you're all doing.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Jermiah Merciconah said:

Whatever's going on here

IMG_4246.jpg

Jesus dude that’s a big hand.

This post went from a very serious topic, to this.. I love it 😂

• Haha 2

On 3/7/2023 at 3:44 PM, DevilErik said:

A 60mm handle isn't thickbar for me I can't lift the inch but it wouldn't be impressive if I could in my opinion.

My hands are 8.66"(22cm) long and my fingers are almost able to touch on a 60mm handle which is stupid.

I prefer Fatgripz Extreme on a cheap handle and I am definitely going to get a 3" rolling handle in the future.

received_2199945430143543.jpeg

I get about the same wrap, maybe even a bit more, and my hands are basically 8" (maybe a hair under but I'll just say 8").

• Like 3

2 hours ago, liftyzig said:

I get about the same wrap, maybe even a bit more, and my hands are basically 8" (maybe a hair under but I'll just say 8").

I might just have to remeasure then they might just be 8" as well.

Edited by DevilErik
  • Like 1

On 3/6/2023 at 7:45 PM, climber511 said:

Jedd is a no BS guy and of course it is possible you can do it with smaller hands - it will simply be harder than if they were bigger - my comments are not meant to discourage but reflect my (and others) thoughts.  With smaller hands it's much more of a pinch lift for you.  You simply cannot get as much of your hand "under" the handle.

That's why it can be a good idea for people with smaller hands to train thumbless. Some with smaller hands are stronger with a thumbless grip since they can get under the handle more.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, liftyzig said:

Maybe your thumb is long.
I understand that hand span and hand length correlate, but even a 1/5" difference in thumb length makes a huge difference. Although the lengths of my LH and RH are very similar (basically 8"), I get much more coverage on thick bars with my LH because my left thumb is almost 1 cm longer than the right. (Unfortunately, it's my non-dominant hand). 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, liftyzig said:

I remeasured apparently I had measured from the wrong palm crease the first time.

They are 21.5cm which is about 8.5".

I measured 22cm last time because I measured from the second palm crease.

My left hand is exactly the same length as my right hand which is kinda odd.

Edited by DevilErik

I don’t know what my limits are but as it is now my monster AtomGripz gripper is my life grip goal. Call me delusional or whatever. My best close is deep set 172 #3.5 and 2mm from 177 GHP 8. @Vinnie Good post. Will read the rest late tonight when I’m finally off work. 

• Like 3