Your best finger extension ideas please

AdriaanRobert96

As the title says, what’s your best alternatives to band finger extensions for finger extensors?

I love/hate bands because you always have to buy new ones, they break and it just doesn’t feel reliable in that way.

It just has to exist another good alternative, something that someone has come up with..

A smarter idea and alternative?

I do use bands, I’ve done sand bucket which is nice but messy, seen some plate exercises which only exercises the top end of the extensions..

I want something that works the full range and can be tracked/ progressed with..

I know, I am looking for a unicorn but whatever you may have will be appreciated.

Thanks!

finger curls? twist yo wrist?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

finger curls? twist yo wrist?

I appreciate the feedback, really!

Altho I don’t believe those work finger extensions now do they😅?

• Like 1

The best finger extension work I have done was with an arm assassin bull ring attached to 15 lbs of chain, raising and lowering it to pulse isometric contractions & adjust the resistrance precisely to exactly how much I could handle. Each rep was just raising and lowering it. Video here: 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, AdriaanRobert96 said:

I appreciate the feedback, really!

Altho I don’t believe those work finger extensions now do they😅?

You're correct, finger curls are finger flexion, twist you wrist is wrist ulnar and radial deviation or pronation and supination depending on how you hold it, none of which involve active finger extension

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, C8Myotome said:

Neither of those involve finger extension...

You’re right but when I use it I hold it with my finger tips only. Works the finger tips and elbows nicely. Almost like extensor bands.

I misread and thought @AdriaanRobert96 was looking for ways to strengthen fingers.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

You’re right but when I use it I hold it with my finger tips only. Works the finger tips and elbows nicely. Almost like extensor bands.

I misread and thought @AdriaanRobert96 was looking for ways to strengthen fingers.

The fingertip isn't a muscle it's a phalange, the elbow isn't a muscle it's a joint, the flexor digitorum profundus flexes the fingertips at the DIP joints, many muscles operate the elbow, not sure which muscle you are referencing at the elbow...I am very good with anatomy though so this is stuff I just don't like to be vague about when I can be very specific about it

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, C8Myotome said:

The best finger extension work I have done was with an arm assassin bull ring attached to 15 lbs of chain, raising and lowering it to pulse isometric contractions & adjust the resistrance precisely to exactly how much I could handle. Each rep was just raising and lowering it. Video here: 

Oh alright, so this reminds me of that old martial arts exercise where they held a vase like object filled with sand or water..

I like this one for sure, also them forearms are massive😎

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

No problem mate, all feedback is appreciated.. maybe I should’ve been more clear😅

26 minutes ago, C8Myotome said:

The fingertip isn't a muscle it's a phalange, the elbow isn't a muscle it's a joint, the flexor digitorum profundus flexes the fingertips at the DIP joints, many muscles operate the elbow, not sure which muscle you are referencing at the elbow...I am very good with anatomy though so this is stuff I just don't like to be vague about when I can be very specific about it

The muscle anatomy concerning fingertips to elbows is a mouthful for sure😂

• Like 1

@C8Myotome Oh I also wanted to let you know that you got a fairly interesting YT channel there pal.

I like the vairety and detail that goes into your videos, very well explained.

Much respect!

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, C8Myotome said:

Dude. One thing you gotta understand, not too many of us are in your field... I'm in construction. I love grip, but have 0 desire to learn any more than the basic anatomy from the elbows down.  I'll leave that to professionals like you.

Extensor bands are great for elbow health..I thought @AdriaanRobert96was looking for alternatives that you can track and progress on.. When I use twist yo wrist and grip it with only my finger tips.. In layman's terms  It feels great for  my elbows, finger tips and wrists.  

I know I've read something here about reverse curls, and finger curls being good for extensors to some degree.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There isn't really a good non-isometric exercise, but also every grip movement is already working your extensors so it likely isn't necessary. You cannot grip anything without using your extensors, that is what allows your wrist to remain stable whole flexing the fingers. If the extensors were not being used, flexing the fingers would pull your entire wrist into flexion, this is stopped via the isometric contraction of the extensor group. 

The classic one is to take an old protein container or similar, cut the top off tape up the edge to prevent any cuts then lift this with the back of your fingers, easy to progressively load by adding more to the container via sand, rocks, weights or whatever. Can do reps or timed holds. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Another interesting way to work the finger extensor muscles is the Gripedo. Even when you are doing wrist extension on it, the finger extensors act as assistance muscles to wrist extension, because they cross the wrist joint as well. So while you are training wrist extension, the finger extensor muscles contribute to help out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wrist extension is easier since you can use weights, or better the climber curl which takes finger flexion out of the equation. I added a photo of an example, not too hard to diy one but I believe Luke still makes these on request. 

20170805_173413.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Climber028 said:

There isn't really a good non-isometric exercise, but also every grip movement is already working your extensors so it likely isn't necessary. You cannot grip anything without using your extensors, that is what allows your wrist to remain stable whole flexing the fingers. If the extensors were not being used, flexing the fingers would pull your entire wrist into flexion, this is stopped via the isometric contraction of the extensor group. 

The classic one is to take an old protein container or similar, cut the top off tape up the edge to prevent any cuts then lift this with the back of your fingers, easy to progressively load by adding more to the container via sand, rocks, weights or whatever. Can do reps or timed holds. 

Yep, I totally know the old container/ vase method😅

Used in old time martial arts training.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AdriaanRobert96 said:

No problem mate, all feedback is appreciated.. maybe I should’ve been more clear😅

haha, you where very clear.  The issues me😂

You could just buy a bag of #84  rubber bands.. They will break but they are cheap enough. I've actually haven't broken any yet. Watch now one will snap tomorrow.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

haha, you where very clear.  The issues me😂

You could just buy a bag of #84  rubber bands.. They will break but they are cheap enough. I've actually haven't broken any yet. Watch now one will snap tomorrow.

Don’t jinx it man😂, already got a bag of em xD

• Haha 1

Bucket o' pebbles... Bit more resistant and not so messy as sand. I like this method over any other because the resistance curve is more even, and the modality is more versatile (meaning you can work many parts of the hand/forearm with it, by altering the movements). 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Gripperer said:

Bucket o' pebbles... Bit more resistant and not so messy as sand. I like this method over any other because the resistance curve is more even, and the modality is more versatile (meaning you can work many parts of the hand/forearm with it, by altering the movements). 

Hmm, I’ve heard this before😄I just need to figure out were to get pebbles😅

19 hours ago, Climber028 said:

Wrist extension is easier since you can use weights, or better the climber curl which takes finger flexion out of the equation. I added a photo of an example, not too hard to diy one but I believe Luke still makes these on request. 

20170805_173413.jpg

One of my old inventions - glad to see Luke still makes it for sale - the angled handles are much more comfortable.  Can be used for regular or reverse wrist curls - and even as a DARD for your shins.

• Like 2

I had a Gripmas Medley event with a big piece of PVC pipe where you stuck your fingers inside the pipe  - spread your fingers and lifted - set it up so I could add weight to it - it would be easy to incrementally add weight to it.   Measurable at least - I'm thinking I  used 3.5" (3" ID) PVC - I could be wrong.  Used a piece maybe 8" long - drilled a hole through it and stuck a bar through it clipped a carabiner over that and hung a loading pin with weight.  I'll see it I can find a picture of it.

Edited by climber511
  • Like 2