I'm No Bender

Clay Edgin

But that didn't stop me from going to the hardware store and picking up some 40d and 60d nails. When I first bought them earlier this week, I was humbled and frustrated by how little I could do with them. I could barely kink the 40 and the 60 laughed at me. I heard it.

I did my research on bending - who does it, how they do it, what they do, etc. I felt more comfortable with trying the style illustrated in David Horne's video. A few more tries with the nails produced similar frustrating results.

Yesterday I received the biography of The Mighty Atom and got through the first hundred pages last night. With its philosophies in mind, I did a few runs in the farmer's walk which got the blood pumping and then I took to the nails. I laid a few nails out on the shop table analyzing them. These are just pieces of metal. I am Man. My will is superior to the nail's. After working into a focused frenzy, I wrapped a 40d and started to bend it with the style mentioned above. No luck. Something clicked inside my head (almost audibly) and I grabbed the nail with a double overhand grip. Two swift motions and I had done it! I hastily unwrapped the nail and reveled in my accomplishment. But now I had 4lbs of 60d's to contend with.

I wrapped one up and started at it. No luck. I refocused, regripped, and it started to give way. NO MERCY ON THE NAIL! As soon as it moved, I pushed harder and harder. Slowly, it started to give. After a five minute battle, one of us was drenched in sweat and the other was bent into a U. I had bent a 60d.

Next up was a spiral nail that porkbone sent me, which by most accounts is harder than an Ironmind blue. I wrapped it, gripped, and began to apply pressure. The pain started forming like small beds of coals in my wrists and I intensified the heat, mentally transferring it to the center of the nail. I will not fail! Soon my whole hands were hot with pain and I felt the nail give. Now was the time to turn up the pressure and make something happen. After another several minutes of grunting, regripping, and swearing, I had done it. I unwrapped the nail and put it with the unbent ones as if to send a message. I went through another 40d, this time slower and with more control, feeling the nail give under the pressure.

By now, a blister had broken on my hand and soft pink flesh shown underneath. Now for another 60d. Wrap, grip, bend. Nothing. I resorted to bracing one hand on my upper thigh and started to bend. The nail dug through the rag and into my hand. I stopped the nail at about 80 degrees, not having the strength left to crush it down. One more 40d, and I was done for the day. I've carefully cut the blistered skin away to reveal a nickel-sized hole in my hand. A well deserved wound that will toughen up and make the next nail easier. But for now, rest, rest, and more rest.

Absolutely inspiring story, Clay. You have no idea how hard it is not to run out to the garage and grab another nail with my already worn out hands! Do you think you'll stay with it? It seems you have gobs of potential. And that's unusual that you would be stronger with the double overhand style, but don't be afraid to experiment with several styles.

Clay,

Nice story.

By the way the pain does recede as you get used to bending. Although for some reason Jim is still in pain after every big bend, or for that matter any big armwrestle. :laugh

David

For me, the pain seems to get worse the day after the bend for some reason.

I had to do the pain killer run to the local shop last night. The guy behind the counter asked if I had headache :whacked. I considered explaining but thought better of it and just told him I had a "bad arm" ;).

Keep it up Clay.

Jim

Wait till your bending Reds and the like which wont be long by the way your progressing matey,then the pain will be realy something LOL :laugh Bring it on baby yeh :laugh

Jim

as Barns says in Platoon " take the pain.....TAKE THE PAIN!"

Massage the arm twice a week with a heat balm or simply baby oil and an elasticated bandage after a training session will help.

as does wrist stretching and massageing the hands.

or you could simply be as 'ard as a scouser and keep going regardless of injury ;)

Gazza

how are the vids of you and Jim bending the 212.5k and 230k challenge bars?

how are the vids of you and Jim bending the 212.5k and 230k challenge bars?

Don't foget the one of the PB meister bending a 180 ;) Great entertainment :rock

lol :blush

I always try my best and if the crowds travelled a long way, it would be a shame not to give them something to remember :)

what was it you said Jim, looks like i bend in fast forward! :tongue

it would be good to see the video again

not one to be smug, but my arms and hands are fine today :inno

ive found that by doing lots of sub max bends over a long time (50% to 80% max, 6 to 8 bends a session, twice a week or three times in 10 days) coupled with twice day ice water hand baths, massage of hands and arms every other day and high volume hammer curls, presses and chins.

Phew!

its a pain in the a** but its paying off.

like arm rasslin, the tendons and ligaments get hammered in bending so you have to condition them to take the power generated by your muscles.

i also take a week off bending before a big one.

well, it seems to work.

gone from 110k to 180k in 6 weeks and who knows 200k by May :cry

most of my trainings unconventional but it seems to work for me and best off all, im pain free for most of the time.

Clay-

Congrats on some good bending. But-take heed. Bending is as addicting as drugs! Once you start-it is very hard to stop. I started out just before BFGS and by the day after-I could not use my right arm to bring a spoon to my mouth.

Take it slow and the big bends will come.

I now bend 4 bars-easy, normal, hard, hardest-every 3rd day along with a ton of wrist work. Add major hand and arm therapy to that and I am finally bending pain free for the first time in my life. Sure I have aches and minor pains-but nothing like the shooting intense pain when ever I would move before! General pain is fine-work through it. Localized pain is bad-time to stop and get healed up.

I am closing in on a grade 5-I never thought I would bend a 60 penny. :D

Rick Walker :rock

Awsome. Something I can't tell people enough is "intensity and technique" are the keys to bending. You obviously have found both. Awsome job. :rock I hope others learn from your story.

Very inspiring! Great Job on the bends Clay.

And that's unusual that you would be stronger with the double overhand style, but don't be afraid to experiment with several styles.

Works for Slim and Brookfield. Maybe Swinging a hammer biulds a lot of strength for this style?

Edited by RSW