Opinions on the grip machine (called Bruce Lee grip machine ?) and if this one would be ok

Sino_

1 minute ago, Sino_ said:

Grip machines don't have carry over to grippers if you want to be good at grippers you should train with grippers.

They don't have no carryover at all if you're not good at grippers to begin with, but I also wouldn't use a grip machine that has gigantic handles like that as that doesn't mimic anything close to a gripper. Same motion, wrong dimensions. The ironmind go really grip machine has thinner handles and one is filed so it makes a deep close. Works the same muscles and similar pattern but it is also not a substitute for learning how to use a gripper properly 

So many imitation grip machines always they always get the handles wrong.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, C8Myotome said:

They don't have no carryover at all if you're not good at grippers to begin with, but I also wouldn't use a grip machine that has gigantic handles like that as that doesn't mimic anything close to a gripper. Same motion, wrong dimensions. The ironmind go really grip machine has thinner handles and one is filed so it makes a deep close. Works the same muscles and similar pattern but it is also not a substitute for learning how to use a gripper properly 

So many imitation grip machines always they always get the handles wrong.

Ah you have a link to that one? I am not sure what it is called. If Amazon have it I can order to Sweden.

Edited by Sino_
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Sino_ said:

Ah you have a link to that one? I am not sure what it is called. If Amazon have it I can order to Sweden.

It is on Ironmind's website.

• Like 1

My 2 cents is save your money on grip machines.  Learn to do "finger curls" with a barbell.  No extra cost and maybe better carryover to grippers than machines offer - but that said actual gripper training seems the best to improve gripper ability.  

• Like 3

It should be possible to build strength with it. The thing with grippers is that it's very technical and neurological. So you have to train with them a lot to get better.

It's probably worth buying one for that price

15 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

It should be possible to build strength with it. The thing with grippers is that it's very technical and neurological. So you have to train with them a lot to get better.

It's probably worth buying one for that price

Even fully closed, that grip machine looks as wide as a rolling thunder. It also looks like it only fits upto 100 lbs in 10 lb plates. Which if you get good at it, won't be much resistance.

1 hour ago, Sino_ said:

ah ok. I read Tommy Heslep used something called a Gripinator for negatives. Any idea where to buy one similar to that one? Don't find that one on Amazon either.

I think Arm Assassin made something similar.

The Gripinator was made by PDA - a company no longer in business.  It was a nice machine and did have some carryover to grippers as it operated very similar to them.  It might be possible someone has one laying around somewhere??  I don't believe there were many made.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, climber511 said:

The Gripinator was made by PDA - a company no longer in business.  It was a nice machine and did have some carryover to grippers as it operated very similar to them.  It might be possible someone has one laying around somewhere??  I don't believe there were many made.

Good info here. I was able to borrow a Gripinator from Tommy Heslep years ago. The most impressive thing is that it’s a well-made small machine that handles heavy weight very smoothly. By design, it has a stationary palm handle and puts the weight in your fingers which I feel is important for TSG carryover. All the same, overall I did not feel the machine was better than just training on grippers. And the Secret Weapon is a more simple and approachable machine that has very similar mechanics. 

The grip machine you have linked won't make a difference within your training. You're limited with how much weight can be used.

You'll have a far better time training fingers curls with a barbell, deadhangs from a pullup bar, training with hand grippers

If you go with a machine, get one like this https://www.armassassinstrengthshop.com/products/grip-machine-guillotine

If you plan to do negative training, this one is better https://www.armassassinstrengthshop.com/products/gripinator

• Like 1

7 hours ago, John McCarter said:

The grip machine you have linked won't make a difference within your training. You're limited with how much weight can be used.

You'll have a far better time training fingers curls with a barbell, deadhangs from a pullup bar, training with hand grippers

If you go with a machine, get one like this https://www.armassassinstrengthshop.com/products/grip-machine-guillotine

If you plan to do negative training, this one is better https://www.armassassinstrengthshop.com/products/gripinator

Ah the lower one looks a lot like the original gripinator. Nice.

The top machine, guilloutine, looks quite similar to the one I linked above. Only problem with these seem like the end range is quite wide.

Perhaps this could be solved by grinding7sawing down like a hole in the middle or something. So that your hands close it together in a smaller range at the top ?

Edited by Sino_

That Gripinator is way cool, I would like to try one out someday