Injury question

Justin Douglas

So like 3 weeks ago after a gripper workout I’ve developed quite a bit of pain in the knuckles on my pointer and middle finger, it’s to the point where I can’t train grippers at all. I was just wondering if anyone else has had this problem? I really hope I didn’t do any long term damage.

32 minutes ago, Justin Douglas said:

So like 3 weeks ago after a gripper workout I’ve developed quite a bit of pain in the knuckles on my pointer and middle finger, it’s to the point where I can’t train grippers at all. I was just wondering if anyone else has had this problem? I really hope I didn’t do any long term damage.

Yeah I had this happen to my right index finger. I'm not sure of the medical term but if your finger has 3 "knuckles" mine was in between the top and middle. I thought I would never be able to squeeze grippers again. I had to take a lot of time off. A lot of ice and squeezing on super light foam stress balls seemed to heal it after about 2-3 months. It's stronger than ever now and no pain anymore 

4 minutes ago, Kevin Gripz said:

Yeah I had this happen to my right index finger. I'm not sure of the medical term but if your finger has 3 "knuckles" mine was in between the top and middle. I thought I would never be able to squeeze grippers again. I had to take a lot of time off. A lot of ice and squeezing on super light foam stress balls seemed to heal it after about 2-3 months. It's stronger than ever now and no pain anymore 

Mine in the neck joint up nevertheless I guess I need to take some time off 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Justin Douglas said:

Mine in the neck joint up nevertheless I guess I need to take some time off 

How often are you using them?

Find something else grip related that doesn't hurt to do in the meantime. Rest, ice, stretching and some extensor work should help

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Blacksmith513 said:

How often are you using them?

Find something else grip related that doesn't hurt to do in the meantime. Rest, ice, stretching and some extensor work should help

Once a week for me but I hadn’t been training grippers for a while and that one session where I developed the injury I think I just went too hard 

• Like 1

Just now, Justin Douglas said:

Once a week for me but I hadn’t been training grippers for a while and that one session where I developed the injury I think I just went too hard 

yeah grippers are real rough on the hands. I'm not a Dr, but i've had similar stuff happen in the past, if you can find something that doesn't aggravate it, plus some rest and rehab maybe try that for a while. Or go to the Drs if you think you should. 

I've learned there are some things you can work through and some you cant. But only you know.

Just now, C8Myotome said:

Is it a joint issue or a tendon issue that crossed over the joint? Does it hurt just sitting there or when you do a specific movement & what type of pain?

hurts when I try to close a gripper, even a really weak warmup gripper, hurts a little when I open a bottle cap 

11 minutes ago, Justin Douglas said:

hurts when I try to close a gripper, even a really weak warmup gripper, hurts a little when I open a bottle cap 

The area you are talking about sounds either like your MCP joints, your lumbricals, or your extensor digitorum insertion tendons...it could be that you had poor muscle length of your extensor digitorum & lots of gripping strained it from it being already shorter than it's supposed to. Here is a tutorial I made on how to stretch it, see if that helps, if it does work on increasing your muscle length there so you don't get such high tension on the insertion tendons to each finger when you start gripping again. I'm not saying that's for 100% sure what it is, but it is something to try & see if it helps 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, C8Myotome said:

The area you are talking about sounds either like your MCP joints, your lumbricals, or your extensor digitorum insertion tendons...it could be that you had poor muscle length of your extensor digitorum & lots of gripping strained it from it being already shorter than it's supposed to. Here is a tutorial I made on how to stretch it, see if that helps, if it does work on increasing your muscle length there so you don't get such high tension on the insertion tendons to each finger when you start gripping again. I'm not saying that's for 100% sure what it is, but it is something to try & see if it helps 

Ok thank you I will give it a try 

• Like 2