Hex DB Blob?

AdriaanRobert96

So I got this idea about making a ”blob” like tool that’s loadable which will cost less than 30 bucks tops..

So we got a store named Rusta here in Sweden and I saw that they had Hex DBs going up to 15kg/~33lbs and then the idea struck me!

I’ll buy 2 hex dbs of different sizes, cut off one piece like this: 265E7F71-9CB5-4D72-AC32-4D6312259421.jpeg.c86cb440ad3e4a275c8f061cd229ce97.jpeg

After that I’ll drill a hole on this side of the Hex db:

7D411CC0-29E2-43C8-BB02-084820814086.thumb.jpeg.0d3a0550ba1353e225ef92c42c9b15f7.jpeg

Then simply add one of these Screw Eyes (I think that’s the name): 

8782126C-800F-44FC-8058-8A957FD2FB37.jpeg.6868a512e61f572a3955762b46733371.jpeg

After this, add a Carbine Hook: 8CCCFDC0-E8AE-4D06-B9A4-2D918A7A9BDE.jpeg.23496bf948aa40508d98f40d6f3ebc45.jpeg

Why do I make these monstrosities you might ask, oh well because this is the closest I can come to a Blob but also because the pinch feels so nice with Hex DBs..

Also it’s mad cheap, so why not.. oh and I am obsessed with grip and making homemade tools😂

Input your thoughts down below..

Edited by AdriaanRobert96
typo

They’re rubber coated though. So they wouldn’t work so well for pinching. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, David_wigren said:

I agree with David_wigren. You could do it with metal ones. I would buy a 80lbs - 100lbs dumbell and not worry about the hook. 

The problem with using the hook is the center of gravity is way off and the thickness isn't the same. 

If your goal is to improve pinch strength a block is probably the cheaper easier way to go. If your goal is to lift the blob, then you need to lift a blob (or as close as you can get, ie hex)

• Like 3

Just take a block weight you can already lift, place a resistence band over the top and hold the other ends down to the ground with either your feet or other weights. This is free for most, doesn't require any tools and is as simple as it gets for adding load. Other ways are chains on the top, coat hanger over the top with weight plates, magnetic weights, or taped on weights. 

All of these methods allow the center of gravity to remain mostly the same, if you hang weight then this changes the center of gravity a lot and you lose some of the finer nuances required for blockweight lifting. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Its not optimal in anyway but in lack of other bloblike things you can lift the bottom of a kettlebell. 

Also there's from time to time blobs for sale in Sweden aswell, but as you said they are not cheap. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, David_wigren said:

Sorry for being thick, but do you mean that they’ll slip easily?

We have exactly these at the gym and the felt amazing for pinch😅

3 hours ago, jculpepper said:

I agree with David_wigren. You could do it with metal ones. I would buy a 80lbs - 100lbs dumbell and not worry about the hook. 

The problem with using the hook is the center of gravity is way off and the thickness isn't the same. 

If your goal is to improve pinch strength a block is probably the cheaper easier way to go. If your goal is to lift the blob, then you need to lift a blob (or as close as you can get, ie hex)

Thanks for the feedback😄Just one of many ideas I have.. the reason was mostly because we have these kind of Hex DBs at the gym and I tried pinching them.. 

they feel amazing for pinching, so that’s why the idea struck me😅

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Climber028 said:

Just take a block weight you can already lift, place a resistence band over the top and hold the other ends down to the ground with either your feet or other weights. This is free for most, doesn't require any tools and is as simple as it gets for adding load. Other ways are chains on the top, coat hanger over the top with weight plates, magnetic weights, or taped on weights. 

All of these methods allow the center of gravity to remain mostly the same, if you hang weight then this changes the center of gravity a lot and you lose some of the finer nuances required for blockweight lifting. 

Very good points about the center of gravity, I definitely felt that before🙂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lennix said:

Its not optimal in anyway but in lack of other bloblike things you can lift the bottom of a kettlebell. 

Also there's from time to time blobs for sale in Sweden aswell, but as you said they are not cheap. 

Not optimal for sure, but it felt so nice pinching the 15kg Hex DBs at our gym.. hence my idea.

With that said, the upside down Kettlebell is a great idea.. I could just get a decent sized KB and maybe even attach weight to it for additional resistance😅

Thanks!

• Like 1

I pinch a 17.5kg hex (rubber coated) and add weight by balancing 2 small 2kg dumbbells off the bottom. I think it's pretty good training and find it a really good warmup but I also have a 24kg Holle blob that I'm very far from lifting single handed and the way the hand is restricted on a big blob is definitely more difficult (at least for me). With my hand size I can have my fingers on a few different faces of the hex but transferring over how my hand is on the Holle blob it's much closer to having all 4 fingers on one face and the thumb on the other side. If your goal is lifting a heavy blob I'd start training this harder hand position on the hex, or if possible wrap your mitts around a blob so you can compare.

Also try avoid using the side of the hex with the weight or brand stamp as this indentation also makes it a lot easier.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, AdriaanRobert96 said:

Sorry for being thick, but do you mean that they’ll slip easily?

We have exactly these at the gym and the felt amazing for pinch😅

13 hours ago, AdriaanRobert96 said:

Not optimal for sure, but it felt so nice pinching the 15kg Hex DBs at our gym.. hence my idea.

With that said, the upside down Kettlebell is a great idea.. I could just get a decent sized KB and maybe even attach weight to it for additional resistance😅

Thanks!

Its the opposite, its alot easier with rubber coating :) 

I was meaning the kettlebell lifts as not optimal. There's even under the "feat lifts" here on gripboard categories for Kettlebell deadlifts bottoms up. 16kg is a good start 18kg is a bit harder and 20kg is very hard. not plastic Kb's ofcs because they are to big. You can also attach weights easy to the handle to microincrease weights. But the increased size of the jumps 16-18-20 is what's hard. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, PinchByPinch said:

I pinch a 17.5kg hex (rubber coated) and add weight by balancing 2 small 2kg dumbbells off the bottom. I think it's pretty good training and find it a really good warmup but I also have a 24kg Holle blob that I'm very far from lifting single handed and the way the hand is restricted on a big blob is definitely more difficult (at least for me). With my hand size I can have my fingers on a few different faces of the hex but transferring over how my hand is on the Holle blob it's much closer to having all 4 fingers on one face and the thumb on the other side. If your goal is lifting a heavy blob I'd start training this harder hand position on the hex, or if possible wrap your mitts around a blob so you can compare.

Also try avoid using the side of the hex with the weight or brand stamp as this indentation also makes it a lot easier.

Awh man, ya’ll are killing me.. I want a Blob so badly🥲😂

Good tips, I really appreciate it :)

I wanna ask tho, if I ever get a blob which one should I start with?

My pinch is around 40kg on any given day, and I know it’s not the same but maybe it says something atleast😁

1 hour ago, Lennix said:

Its the opposite, its alot easier with rubber coating :) 

I was meaning the kettlebell lifts as not optimal. There's even under the "feat lifts" here on gripboard categories for Kettlebell deadlifts bottoms up. 16kg is a good start 18kg is a bit harder and 20kg is very hard. not plastic Kb's ofcs because they are to big. You can also attach weights easy to the handle to microincrease weights. But the increased size of the jumps 16-18-20 is what's hard. 

Oh ok, I almost thought so.. rubber is easier😂

Now I am really interested in trying the upside down KBs.. Imma go to the store that got em and try😝

I'm trying to get my hands on a ~45lb/20kg blob - I think loading extra weight is easier or at least more measurable than doing assisted lifts. If you have a goal blob you want to lift though and can only get 1 then get your goal blob so you can train with that width and feel.

• Thanks 1

Where do you live? I’ve got 8 blobs in my armwrestling gym in Örebro. I’m not selling any of them but if you ever to swing by and train with them you’re welcome to do so. I’ve also got a 67kg inch dumbbell, an Ironmind axle and a bunch of other grip equipment. I also have a 78kg inch from Nathan Holle but I’ve lent it out to Thom Fingalsson, who was supposed to train on it and get good enough to do farmers walks with them (I’m still waiting for it Thom!)

Half 22.5kg york legacy blob

Silarukov 15kg

Silarukov 18kg

Half 40kg hex blob

Half 45kg hex blob 

Half 45kg york legacy blob

Blob50

25kg Gladiator blob

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, David_wigren said:

Where do you live? I’ve got 8 blobs in my armwrestling gym in Örebro. I’m not selling any of them but if you ever to swing by and train with them you’re welcome to do so. I’ve also got a 67kg inch dumbbell, an Ironmind axle and a bunch of other grip equipment. I also have a 78kg inch from Nathan Holle but I’ve lent it out to Thom Fingalsson, who was supposed to train on it and get good enough to do farmers walks with them (I’m still waiting for it Thom!)

Silarukov 15kg

Silarukov 18kg

Half 40kg hex blob

Half 45kg hex blob 

Blob50

25kg Gladiator blob

Oh wow, thanks man.. I don’t live far from Örebro at all😅

I’ll definitely let you know if I swing by at some point.

Thanks again, can’t wait to try all of em😮💨

In case you’re interested in my journey to CoC #4 here’s my training log😄

On 2/23/2023 at 4:21 PM, David_wigren said:

Silarukov 15kg

Silarukov 18kg

Half 40kg hex blob

Half 45kg hex blob 

Blob50

25kg Gladiator blob

Yeah will pick that up now when the weather gets better so i can do it outside. 

Also, NERD 

• Like 1

On 2/23/2023 at 11:30 AM, AdriaanRobert96 said:

Oh wow, thanks man.. I don’t live far from Örebro at all😅

I’ll definitely let you know if I swing by at some point.

Thanks again, can’t wait to try all of em😮💨

dude, you just got invite from one of the best on this board. Make it happen!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

dude, you just got invite from one of the best on this board. Make it happen!

Funny enough that we both live in Sweden, I’ll definitely make it happen😄

Always grateful for people that open up like that and gives others great opportunities.