Building a block from wood and using a small kettlebell for

Sino_

Hi 

So I am thinking of buying a ball looking pinch-grip-strengthener, on Ebay or Aliekspress. And also to buy a block to hang weights from. Looks like the two pictures at the top. 

Now, since I will have to spend money and wait quite a while for these, do you guys think I could just as well just hang heavy stuff from the reverse side of the green kettlebell below? And use that for a pinch grip strengthener. And then just use the wooden one below for a block weight, where I hang weights on it? For example, from straps, or a string stuck to these and then hang weights from it. Would that serve the same purpose as the fancy ones I buy online? Or would it not be able to replicate the movement in some way? 

Or can I just as well just go with these two less pricey alternatives?

Thanks

Skärmavbild 2023-02-18 kl. 10.58.48.png

Skärmavbild 2023-02-18 kl. 10.59.03.png

Skärmavbild 2023-02-18 kl. 11.03.57.png

Skärmavbild 2023-02-18 kl. 11.04.05.png

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sino_ said:

Hi 

So I am thinking of buying a ball looking pinch-grip-strengthener, on Ebay or Aliekspress. And also to buy a block to hang weights from. Looks like the two pictures at the top. 

Now, since I will have to spend money and wait quite a while for these, do you guys think I could just as well just hang heavy stuff from the reverse side of the green kettlebell below? And use that for a pinch grip strengthener. And then just use the wooden one below for a block weight, where I hang weights on it? For example, from straps, or a string stuck to these and then hang weights from it. Would that serve the same purpose as the fancy ones I buy online? Or would it not be able to replicate the movement in some way? 

Or can I just as well just go with these two less pricey alternatives?

Thanks

Skärmavbild 2023-02-18 kl. 10.58.48.png

Skärmavbild 2023-02-18 kl. 10.59.03.png

Skärmavbild 2023-02-18 kl. 11.03.57.png

Skärmavbild 2023-02-18 kl. 11.04.05.png

Hello! You can go with the less pricey alternatives, and you will get stronger.

If you want to participate in any official competition, then you should buy branded equipment. 

In the end of the day getting stronger is more important than having expensive equipment 💪

• Like 1

For a ball typically people will just run a bolt through a baseball and/or softball that will get you close enough and is about as cheap as can be. Pinches are even easier, just have a bunch of hunks of wood with varying thicknesses to train all angles, also extremely cheap. If you need to do a feat or competition then the real implement is vital, but anything at all will work if strength is the goal. 

• Like 2

On 2/18/2023 at 4:36 PM, Climber028 said:

For a ball typically people will just run a bolt through a baseball and/or softball that will get you close enough and is about as cheap as can be. Pinches are even easier, just have a bunch of hunks of wood with varying thicknesses to train all angles, also extremely cheap. If you need to do a feat or competition then the real implement is vital, but anything at all will work if strength is the goal. 

Aa great. We don't have a lot of baseballs around where I live(Scandinavia) but I am thinking perhaps one of those red bandyballs might do it don't you think? :) You know the ones looking like the picture below. Also it could work with a tennisball maybe? Just drill a hole in it and then make like a little hook with chain in it or something like that right? By the way do you have a picture or link to a thread where someone did this? Would be interesting to see how they did it and if I am approaching it correct.

Skärmavbild 2023-02-24 kl. 13.42.49.png

Edited by Sino_

I also wonder if anyone starting to bend nails and such have a good idea for how to start doing that without having to buy all those expensive competition nails?

Are there like a cheaper kit or something I could buy from Amazon that works well for noobs or so? Or perhaps I could buy that sort of stuff from a store with regular nails or something?

Edited by Sino_

You can get very strong with very minimal equipment.  Get inventive - I'm was in the military in Vietnam back in the 60s - we trained with a pipe for a bar with different sized sandbags for weight plates for a powerlifting competition - never touched an actual weightlifting bar until the meet.  No actual weight equipment at all - we got strong and did well in the meet.  Use rocks for weight - or bricks or concrete blocks etc. for pinch lifts - wood blocks work fine - fill a bucket with rocks - wrap the handle to make a sort of "Fat Grip.  Just work hard with whatever you can find.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, climber511 said:

You can get very strong with very minimal equipment.  Get inventive - I'm was in the military in Vietnam back in the 60s - we trained with a pipe for a bar with different sized sandbags for weight plates for a powerlifting competition - never touched an actual weightlifting bar until the meet.  No actual weight equipment at all - we got strong and did well in the meet.  Use rocks for weight - or bricks or concrete blocks etc. for pinch lifts - wood blocks work fine - fill a bucket with rocks - wrap the handle to make a sort of "Fat Grip.  Just work hard with whatever you can find.

I take my hat off to you @climber511. You where a Seabee right?

9 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

I take my hat off to you @climber511. You where a Seabee right?

Thanks - Yes I was a Seabee - I served 3 tours - parts of 1968 - 69 - 70 - just seems like yesterday - where does the time go?  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Sino_ said:

Aa great. We don't have a lot of baseballs around where I live(Scandinavia) but I am thinking perhaps one of those red bandyballs might do it don't you think? :) You know the ones looking like the picture below. Also it could work with a tennisball maybe? Just drill a hole in it and then make like a little hook with chain in it or something like that right? By the way do you have a picture or link to a thread where someone did this? Would be interesting to see how they did it and if I am approaching it correct.

Skärmavbild 2023-02-24 kl. 13.42.49.png

Bandyball looks too soft, and a tennis ball does not work since those are filled with air, if you drilled a hole in it then you would not have a ball anymore it would flex. You really just need any sphere that is too hard to deform with your hand, a ball made of wood or a round enough stone would also work, really anything if you're handy you can make most grip implements put of random junk. 

Here is a photo I found online, it can't really be any simpler you make a hole and put a bolt through it there's nothing to explain. If that's too complicated, then just buy one of the ready made grip implements. 

stools1.jpg