Pinch Grip Apparatus

Bill Piche

Nice piece, an elegantly simple solution!

Very nice David,

I assume those are steel plates? I have a few aluminum discs measured

at 3/8 and 1/2 inch thick.. 11 inches in diameter. I use them between

2 25lb plates. They weigh roughly about a lb+ for the 3/8s and about

1.5lb or so for the 1/2s

They are ideal in that the aluminum provides thickness without added

heavy weight. I cut a 2 inch hole in the aluminum plates for the aluminum

2 inch round stock for additional add on weight plates

The diameter of the discs is 400mm.

Outer plates are steel. The inside discs are hard rubber, that have a slot for easy loading. The rubber was chosen so it would be lighter to post. But still the apparatus unloaded was 23k.

The width can alter from 12mm upwards. Pictured is 52mm.

John, glad you like it. It took a few ideas for us to eventually come back to original 'pinch disc' shape. Nothing beats it!

David

Outer plates are steel. The inside discs are hard rubber, that have a slot for easy loading. The rubber was chosen so it would be lighter to post. But still the apparatus unloaded was 23k.

The slot is ingenious! slide on then pull off without outside plate

removal. Did you choose the rubber material specifically for the ease

of the slot cutting?

Does anyone have a do it yourself at home easy way of cutting circles from flat stock steel?

Man, don't you love those old and ugly plates! :happy I have a bunch of them myself... the way I see it, "iron is iron" no matter how rusty they get! :D

David, again... you can send me some evaluation pieces if you wish. Just email me for my address, thanks!! ;)

Rick,

The slot was introduced for ease of loading/thickening.

The hard rubber was used for cost cutting regarding postage.

Climber,

All this apparatus is made by a proper company, so obviously they have all the proper machines.

David

Yes, we are finally in a position where we can compete on equal terms in pinching. Everyone has their own power curve in pinching where they can lift the heaviest weight at a certain width. Going up or down from this width means less weight lifted. Now it just a matter of getting a set from David and find out where your maximum strength is. A quick way of getting a very rough idea is to pinch a bathroom scale adding books or something for extra width.

I was wondering what the design for this adjustable apparatus was going to be like. To be sure it follows the minimalist tradition in some home gyms. I dislike the idea that adding discs, even hard rubber ones, will add a bit of weight to the assembly and will make comparing lifts a bit more confusing. It would have been preferred if the assembly remained the same weight. There does not seem to be any easy way to adjust the width to the mm. If someone wanted 69 mm I doubt you could select that unless the discs were made beforehand to achieve this.

There is an "improvement" that can be done to the existing apparatus. It will take special welding to achieve. The collars should be welded to the outside steel discs so that these discs are kept vertical. If you look at the first photo you will see that the assembly is leaning to one side. That will happen when the holes are a bit on the large size which is needed to easily take discs off and on.

As long as there are no sharp edge on the outside rims the apparatus works and is an improvement on the fixed width. I guess because of expense considerations we won't be seeing stainless steel rims for some time. Unless some maverick in a far away place decides to machine one up! Let's face it, guys, most of you never design things for commercial gyms. Stainless is the preferred surface for anything that gets touched a lot. However, we need not go into what has now become a rather taboo subject. :)

I think its an excellent design,david and Mikael should be congradulated for there thinking design and hard work,its a very possitive step in the right direction.

Stainless steel plates and the like belong in the gyms were the pussies hang out and no chalk is aloud.

You cant please all the people all the time ,and yes it would be nice to have infinate adjustability,but that would make it too expensive for most people.

David is making something available at a reasonable price that most of us can afford and can then compare results with other people across the world.

Lets help him and mikael out not knock him for his efforts.

very cool implement.

As usual Vince you are very critical about using chalk and not using a machine. but it seems to me that everyone but ONE person likes the device, so the goal is reached!!

congrats david.

thanks for posting those pics!!

david

Here's the thoughts that went into making this.

1. We tried a few other ideas and stainless wasn't any of them!. We thought about an adjustable one via a large threaded bar, but when I asked the company they said with all the dropping of the weight in training/competition it wouldn't last 2 seconds.

2. But the outside discs had to be the same ones as there may be a difference if I had a few different width discs on offer, ie. one might be more chalky or whatever.

3. After getting another device made up, I realised that I wanted a pinch to look like a pinch hence round plate style discs.

4. It's 40cm high so this will not be a problem as far as depth goes.

5. For the filler discs I thought of steel plates, but this would increase the price dramatically, and make postage out of this world. Wood was thought of next, but small warping may occur and it isn't as resiliant as the hard rubber which we ended up choosing.

6. For ease of loading (I was thinking of our poor loader Magnus who does it every year), we got the slots cut into the rubber, so that it can be made thinner or wider by just loosening the collars and slotting them in from the top.

7. As Vince said the discs were loose on one of the photos. Well this was due to us not tightening them for the last few lifts as we were just messing around and then I said "take a photo of the weighted pinch". No biggee, it is as tight as you want when you fasten it.

Hope this hasn't bored everyone too much,

David

Hope this hasn't bored everyone too much,

No way!! Without sounding to Rah- Rah!, I am stoked about the

slotted add on plates for width adjustment !!

You have a winner Dave!

I guess most of you people haven't made any gym equipment. I have my own engineering factory with big lathes, milling machines, automatic bandsaw, radial drills and so on. So I feel my comments are worth something and are not knocking anyone or anything.

You start out with an idea and then try to come up with a solution that is satisfactory. Sometimes there are several engineering solutions. When that happens considerations such as expense and weight become important. It all depends on what you want.

The idea that you will be using the same device in competitions as you are training on is fine. That doesn't mean it is the best solution. Why limit ourselves to things that are cheap? If someone is planning on making items for sale then I fully understand that it has to be affordable.

I still think welding the collars is preferable. The steel discs will tend to get larger holes in them after a while.

There is nothing sissy about using gym equipment with stainless steel handles. Nor does one achieve manhood by using magnesium chalk!

Edited by Allman

Sorry Vince but the stainless steel issue just wont wash LOL :laugh anymore,its been beaten to death on Nicks site.

Chrome and Fern,washing hands every 2 minutes,no chalk,no thanks,i want to lift like the oldtimers,raw,rough and brutal,not like a puff.