Mash Monster Duplicates

jad

My fiancee just gave me an early Christmas present and it was the Mash Monster Elite replica gripper I asked for. When I opened it though I noticed it was stamped with an "E" not an M. Does anyone know if the replicas come stamped with an "E" or did he send me an Elite by mistake? I know she didn't tell him Elite by mistake because she doesn't even know what an Elite gripper is and I wrote down exactly what to tell him. I don't own an Elite so I have nothing to compare it to. It didn't come with a receipt or invoice either. I can grind my 2002 double-stamped #3 and I'm between !/4-1/2 inch away from shutting the one Mr. Tetting sent me, if this helps. The spring is visibly thicker than my #3. I could understand not stamping it with an M to protect certification integrity. Its a great gripper either way and I'm extremely happy with it but when I'm able to shut it with authority I don't want to set up a Mash Monster certification and get embarrassed because I was training with the wrong gripper. Thought I'd try and get some input here before I gave Mr. Tetting a call. I'm sure he's very busy this time of year and I don't want to bother the man if I don't have to.

Any info would be greatly appreciated

Thanks,

jad

It' the right one. The MM gripper is a elite. If your around a half on it it's probably right where it needs to be strength wise or at least thats what Heath told me.

I can grind my 2002 double-stamped #3 and I'm between !/4-1/2 inch away from shutting the one Mr. Tetting sent me

Are you certified yet on the #3 yet, if not then I don't think you should

be posting that you can "grind" it, if you have closed it congrats, but

as per the rules I don't think you should posting that you can. IMO

M2

Also-I dont think you can take a shot at the MM unless you have been witnessed/ provide video/or certify closing #3. ;)

Rick Walker :rock

Are you certified yet on the #3 yet, if not then I don't think you should

be posting that you can "grind" it, if you have closed it congrats, but

as per the rules I don't think you should posting that you can. IMO

I thought the rule was mainly for 'world class feats' or records?

I know there are a lot of uncertified #3 closers and 'grinders' out there.

Most will likely never bother to be certified...

Perhaps I misunderstood the 'spirit'of the rule...and actually?I can't remember if the forum ever decided that closing a #3 was even world class? :erm

Are you certified yet on the #3 yet,

Reply: Yes, I am certified. It took me forever to get my 3s to show up in the picture but I finally got it sent off and I'll be in the next (edited to save space). I didn't think grinding a #3 was a world class feat which is why there is no video proof. I don't even know if my digital camera has the video option. I guess I'll have to look into that. I thought we only needed proof if we were claiming a WORLD CLASS FEAT. If me claiming to grind a #3 without proof offended someone I appologize but as I said I didn't think this was a WORLD CLASS FEAT. I was only using it as a reference point not trying to boast as I don't feel its all that special among the company on this board.

Also-I dont think you can take a shot at the MM unless you have been witnessed/ provide video/or certify closing #3.

Reply: Yeah I know but as I said I'm in the 1/4 to 1/2 inch range away from closing the replica so it'll be awhile before I need to worry about getting certified on the mash monster. When the CoC certification comes out in (edited to save space) does that count as my certification as far as making me elligible for MM or do I need to send a video of myself in closing the #3?

jad

Certification counts- ;)

Rick Walker :rock

Josh,

I gaurantee you that gripper is harder than the MM. If it's a new BBE, the spring is buried right to the handles. Porkbone has one just like it I shut on video that I have been trying to finish getting some stuff on so I can get to Bill.

Heath,

So are you saying its an Elite and not a Mash Monster replica? That's what I was confused on because of the E stamped on it? From what I can gather from Matt VanWheele's earlier post the Elite and the MM are the same??? I guess it doesn't matter as long as the one I have is harder its only to my advantage. You're right about the springs though, those things are buried at least in reference to my #3. I stood it on the edge of desk and measured from the bottom of the spring down to the edge of the desk and here's what I got? MM duplicate: 3 9/16 inches, #3 3 5/8 inches #4 3 5/8 inches. These were crude measurements performed with a a stanley tape measure but the MM and my #4 appear to be mounted deeper than my #3. I'm not sure though if the mount measures deeper due to spring thickness???

Rick,

Thanks for clearing that up on the certification process

jad

Well, Bill was wanting an MM replica, and Tetting sent him 3 that are just like your's saying it was an MM. If you can close it, you are way up the ladder and will close the MM on the board.

i have ordered an elite from tetting........how will a regular one compare to the MM???

I have a PDA .295 that I am about 1/8 from closing, it's supposed to be the same spring size as the elite.

There's only 3 MM cert grippers. All bets are off for replicas. The MM cert grippers have special M's on each handle. Replicas do not.

Heath,

Thanks for the headsup on MM replica. That's definetly reassuring to know that once I can close the replica I'll be more than ready for the real deal. I'm between the 1/4-1/2 inch mark so I've still got a ways to go. Speaking of grippers....enough typing time to start crushing. Thanks again

jad

I'm confused here, I don't understand why the BBE(250lbs) is harder than the coc#3(280lbs). It is my understanding that 280lbs would require more crushing force to close than the 250lbs that theBBE. So why is theBBE considered a harder gripper to close?

I'm confused here, I don't understand why the BBE(250lbs) is harder than the coc#3(280lbs). It is my understanding that 280lbs would require more crushing force to close than the 250lbs that theBBE. So why is theBBE considered a harder gripper to close?

Briefly, very briefly. poundages used to close these grippers

basicaly are a result of location on the gripper handle that the test

load was placed. Ironmind tested their #3 with the load in the middle

of the handle.

Do not concern yourself with the poundage it takes to close a gripper.

Grippers vary across the board

Spring wire diameter and the depth the spring legs are mounted in

the handle, will give you a better idea of it`s toughness. The Elite has

a spring wire diameter of approximately .010-.014 thicker than a #3

There is your difference

Thanks for the explanation zcor, with that in mind if I want a BB gripper that is slightly harder than the coc#1, but less difficult than the#2, which one should I pick up? Also which BB is slightly more difficult than the coc#2, but less than the #3? It would be nice to work with some in between grippers to gauge my progress.

Thanks for the explanation zcor, with that in mind if I want a BB gripper that is slightly harder than the coc#1, but less difficult than the#2, which one should I pick up? Also which BB is slightly more difficult than the coc#2, but less than the #3? It would be nice to work with some in between grippers to gauge my progress.

It is reputed the BBSA (super advanced) is harder than the #1. Again,

varying reports of how hard has been posted here.

The BBSM would be the choice between the #2 and #3. You may want

to consider the PDA SOS 242 unassembeled gripper. The gripper is sent

unassembled and this allows you to sink the spring legs at the depth

you need to make it tougher than a #1 and possibly the #2

I believe PDA is coming out with a 260 as well that should be tougher than

a #2.

PDA, (if I read their news page correctly) will be getting back in to the

gripper game and have a multiple choice of grippers or "Tweeners" as I

call them... Hang loose

zcor, thanks again for your replies. You have answered my questions and this will help in choosing which grippers I will purchase next.

No Prob...

In my opinion though, RB crushers are the Topshelf grippers of them all..

Time consuming to obtain them and the added overseas shipping expense

can kill ya though :D