1cm away from closing the 3. Any pointers?

studman123

4 minutes ago, studman123 said:

I know that’s probably where it’s the hardest to overcome lol. Any training tips would be greatly appreciated so I can close this beast! 

My strategy was to have a lot of grippers with ratings not that far apart in the range of my best close and near misses, and to work my way from one to the next harder, by doing singles until failure - close a 2.5, move on to a harder 2.5, to a standard, to an easy 3, etc, like that.  If you don't have the luxury of a few grippers, you may be able to get the "bump" from cannon to make each gripper you have into a range of gripper rather than just what it is.  Or if you really don't have many grippers, alternate between sometimes doing as many full reps as you can with your hardest gripper that you CAN close, and also doing your best attempt at the 3 you can't yet close.  But your results may vary anyway, we all respond differently.

Edited by Vinnie
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

My strategy was to have a lot of grippers with ratings not that far apart in the range of my best close and near misses, and to work my way from one to the next harder, by doing singles until failure - close a 2.5, move on to a harder 2.5, to a standard, to an easy 3, etc, like that.  If you don't have the luxury of a few grippers, you may be able to get the "bump" from cannon to make each gripper you have into a range of gripper rather than just what it is.  Or if you really don't have many grippers, alternate between sometimes doing as many full reps as you can with your hardest gripper that you CAN close, and also doing your best attempt at the 3 you can't yet close.  But your results may vary anyway, we all respond differently.

I’ve got the 1 all the way to 3 (including the 1.5 and the 2.5). I lent my 2.5 to my friend for now but my 2 is pretty much very close in rating to my 2.5- so you suggest doing full reps with the 2 and 2.5? 

I live all the way in Thailand so ordering a gripper is a hassle and can get pretty expensive (shipping+tax). Thanks for your help Vinnie! 

• Like 2

Yes I would do reps with the 2.5, but also would attempt the 3 sometimes, especially if you are up to high reps with the 2.5.  I think when you are trying to up your max, you make better progress with sets of fewer reps on a harder gripper (like a few sets with the hardest gripper you can do two or three reps on would be better than doing sets of 10 reps on an easier one).  So if you can get something in between the two of those, that may help, but sometimes you just have to work with what you have.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

Yes I would do reps with the 2.5, but also would attempt the 3 sometimes, especially if you are up to high reps with the 2.5.  I think when you are trying to up your max, you make better progress with sets of fewer reps on a harder gripper (like a few sets with the hardest gripper you can do two or three reps on would be better than doing sets of 10 reps on an easier one).  So if you can get something in between the two of those, that may help, but sometimes you just have to work with what you have.

Ok cheers I agree. that makes a lot of sense. I actually just received my 3. So prior to this I was just doing deep set reps with the 2.5 and I got it up to 13 reps. Because of that, I thought I’d be able to close the 3. But boy I was wrong haha….I guess it’s the same concept as training to increase your deadlifts, squats, etc - less reps, heavier weight but more sets. 

• Like 2

I wouldn't say 10 mm is close to closing a gripper. So I would suggest more rep work to build up more strength. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, studman123 said:

Ok cheers I agree. that makes a lot of sense. I actually just received my 3. So prior to this I was just doing deep set reps with the 2.5 and I got it up to 13 reps. Because of that, I thought I’d be able to close the 3. But boy I was wrong haha….I guess it’s the same concept as training to increase your deadlifts, squats, etc - less reps, heavier weight but more sets. 

If you haven't already, I would suggest checking out Paul Knight's video on how to set a gripper. Because technique could also be the reason why you can't get the 3, it was for me.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, studman123 said:

I know that’s probably where it’s the hardest to overcome lol. Any training tips would be greatly appreciated so I can close this beast! 

Keep training and soon you’ll be doing many east reps- all things come to those who persist 👍👍👍

• Like 3

2 hours ago, studman123 said:

You said your 2.5 isn't much harder than your 2, which means it is probably an easy 2.5.  That may be why your 3 seems so much harder, even if it is average, it is already a fair jump from an average 2.5 to a 3, so a jump from an easy 2.5 would be tough.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Fist of Fury said:

I wouldn't say 10 mm is close to closing a gripper. So I would suggest more rep work to build up more strength. 

Oh for sure. It literally felt like squeezing a brick from that point haha

• Like 1