Coc #2.5 x 11 reps *pretty new to grippers

studman123

I’m quite a seasoned strength athlete so fair to say I have done grip training but just not directly grippers.  I’ve only been messing with grippers  for the past few weeks and here’s a coc #2.5 x 11 reps though I’m quite sure what kind of a set this was. I’ve been practicing my set and I guess this is a slightly wider than parallel set? Let me know what you guys think! I’ll be trying my mate’s 3 in a few weeks!  
 *edit: just realized I can’t post a video here. But here’s the link on YouTube (excuse my loud breathing 🤣) : 

thanks yall! 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, John Knowlton said:

NICE ONE

Thanks. Wonder how close I’ll be to a 3. I’ve tried it back then but barely moved it partly coz I didn’t know how to set. Here’s a question though: do grippers lose its ‘stiffness’ over time? I’ve had mine for 16 years now. I’ve played around with it before since I got it but not taken it seriously until now! 

15 minutes ago, studman123 said:

Thanks. Wonder how close I’ll be to a 3. I’ve tried it back then but barely moved it partly coz I didn’t know how to set. Here’s a question though: do grippers lose its ‘stiffness’ over time? I’ve had mine for 16 years now. I’ve played around with it before since I got it but not taken it seriously until now! 

They have a break in period. After that I don’t think they change that much. Cannon did an experiment with a #3 a few months back. It’s on this site somewhere. Look it up, it was fascinating.

• Like 1

That's really good man, the 3 is gonna be a piece of cake for you.

4 hours ago, studman123 said:

A little bit but not so much that it would radically change the difficulty

• Like 1

On 1/4/2023 at 10:30 PM, Blacksmith513 said:

They have a break in period. After that I don’t think they change that much. Cannon did an experiment with a #3 a few months back. It’s on this site somewhere. Look it up, it was fascinating.

Ok cheers! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/4/2023 at 10:13 AM, studman123 said:

Not because of time itself, but because of a certain amount of initial closes. This is why CPW does 30 closes to a new gripper before rating it. I sent them a coc 3 with 2 closes they rated initially at 152, did 30 closes, then sent it back to me rated at 146. But I guess the break in rating then plateaus and stays like that.

20 hours ago, C8Myotome said:

Not because of time itself, but because of a certain amount of initial closes. This is why CPW does 30 closes to a new gripper before rating it. I sent them a coc 3 with 2 closes they rated initially at 152, did 30 closes, then sent it back to me rated at 146. But I guess the break in rating then plateaus and stays like that.

ah no wonder. I’ve just  got my 3 and despite the 11-13 reps I’ve been getting with 2.5 I haven’t been able to close it yet though I’m less than a cm from closing. My 2.5 has had its fair share of usage the past 16 years so it’s fully broken in. And I’m not saying it’s the sole reason I couldn’t close my 3 - I’m still new to the grip game and still figuring out how to set efficiently, my cues, program structure etc. 

20 hours ago, C8Myotome said:

But man that just makes certifying even harder than it already is. If they’re saying you have to close a new one right out of the package…it’s gotta be a lot harder closing a brand new that’s not broken in!! 

11 minutes ago, studman123 said:

But man that just makes certifying even harder than it already is. If they’re saying you have to close a new one right out of the package…it’s gotta be a lot harder closing a brand new that’s not broken in!! 

Yeah, it's a gamble. Closing a 3 is way easier in training. Considering average 3's broken in are currently 148 and by my experience they are at least 6 lbs heavier out of the package if not more, you should expect to in training to be at least able to CCS a broken in 154 if not more to be safe, although people have done it while only having ccs'd 152 in training. That's just if you expect to get an average one...ccs'ing into the high 150's or low 160's should prepare you for worst case scenario

• Like 1

On 1/4/2023 at 12:54 PM, studman123 said:

I’m quite a seasoned strength athlete so fair to say I have done grip training but just not directly grippers.  I’ve only been messing with grippers  for the past few weeks and here’s a coc #2.5 x 11 reps though I’m quite sure what kind of a set this was. I’ve been practicing my set and I guess this is a slightly wider than parallel set? Let me know what you guys think! I’ll be trying my mate’s 3 in a few weeks!  
 *edit: just realized I can’t post a video here. But here’s the link on YouTube (excuse my loud breathing 🤣) : 

thanks yall! 

Great work man 👏👏