Thick or Thin pinch carryover to grippers

AdriaanRobert96

Simply put.. what pinch thickness has had best carryover to grippers for you?

I know I know… ”variety”

My hands are pretty large and I got long fingers so thicker pinch comes more natural to me.

Altho I want to hear someone elses experience aswell.

I do both thick and thinner pinch altho I feel like the thicker pinch hits the thumb more than the thin pinch.

Share your experience.

• Like 1

I totally suck at Grippers (except choked to parallel) - but I'm half assed good at the Euro pinch.  I have lifted most of the different Blobs - regular and Fatman - but none of Jedd's super blobs.  I honestly don't feel there much carryover to grippers with any pinch widths.  Other than actual gripper work the only thing that ever seemed to help me was Finger Curls.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, AdriaanRobert96 said:

Simply put.. what pinch thickness has had best carryover to grippers for you?

I know I know… ”variety”

My hands are pretty large and I got long fingers so thicker pinch comes more natural to me.

Altho I want to hear someone elses experience aswell.

I do both thick and thinner pinch altho I feel like the thicker pinch hits the thumb more than the thin pinch.

Share your experience.

None of the above- closing a TSG is so specific and the carry over not obvious either direction. There are some dudes who are closing 3.5s-4s with a pretty average pinch and guys pinching 100 + lb single hand who can’t close a 3. 

you have so much enthusiasm for grippers I hope you’re not too disappointed when you find out how limited their benefits are bro. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, AdamTGlass said:

None of the above- closing a TSG is so specific and the carry over not obvious either direction. There are some dudes who are closing 3.5s-4s with a pretty average pinch and guys pinching 100 + lb single hand who can’t close a 3. 

you have so much enthusiasm for grippers I hope you’re not too disappointed when you find out how limited their benefits are bro. 

He's pretty darn strong on thick bar so I don't think he will be disappointed :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, climber511 said:

I totally suck at Grippers (except choked to parallel) - but I'm half assed good at the Euro pinch.  I have lifted most of the different Blobs - regular and Fatman - but none of Jedd's super blobs.  I honestly don't feel there much carryover to grippers with any pinch widths.  Other than actual gripper work the only thing that ever seemed to help me was Finger Curls.

Oh alright, not bad at all😦

I love the finger curls, haven’t done em

in a while.. what would be a good strength standard on those?

I managed to do 102kg for like 6 reps when I usually trained them.

Altho my experience with recovery back then was bleak..

8 hours ago, AdamTGlass said:

Hmm alright, I guess that’s true aswell.. I’ve seen that first hand.

Oh absolutely not, I can handle the truth and nothing can change my enthusiasm on grip stuff❤️😂

It might just be a bias thing I guess, because when I do pinch and especially thinner pinch I always feel stronger going into gripper training😅

1 hour ago, AdriaanRobert96 said:

Oh alright, not bad at all😦

I love the finger curls, haven’t done em

in a while.. what would be a good strength standard on those?

I managed to do 102kg for like 6 reps when I usually trained them.

Altho my experience with recovery back then was bleak..

In my experiment of one I found I needed A LOT of recovery with the finger curls.  I would say 300 to 315# for triples maybe is very strong for a guy around 200 to 225# body weight but if you are a big guy probably more. It's not about what you can "do" as much as progression. At my best climbing wise I weighed about 180 and was doing double body weight on them without a full ROM. ROM becomes compromised as the weight goes up but isn't important really (even mini reps work well) - the really heavy overloads done very infrequently work well and the reps build "health" in the hands. Remember I had done these for over 20 years at that point.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, climber511 said:

In my experiment of one I found I needed A LOT of recovery with the finger curls.  I would say 300 to 315# for triples maybe is very strong for a guy around 200 to 225# body weight but if you are a big guy probably more. It's not about what you can "do" as much as progression. At my best climbing wise I weighed about 180 and was doing double body weight on them without a full ROM. ROM becomes compromised as the weight goes up but isn't important really (even mini reps work well) - the really heavy overloads done very infrequently work well and the reps build "health" in the hands. Remember I had done these for over 20 years at that point.

Holy moly, that’s super strong at 180😎

I usually roam at around 230-240 at 6 foot.

My IG is AdriaanPhyzique (I know cringe)🥲

In case you wanna get a reference.

I’ll give em a shot again after I mash my wide set #3.5, I might need one more month tops.

2 hours ago, AdriaanRobert96 said:

Holy moly, that’s super strong at 180😎

I usually roam at around 230-240 at 6 foot.

My IG is AdriaanPhyzique (I know cringe)🥲

In case you wanna get a reference.

I’ll give em a shot again after I mash my wide set #3.5, I might need one more month tops.

The way I found that gave me the best results was to "cheat" them big time.  Double underhand grip set up in power rack - do as many as you can strict then cheat by leaning back with legs bent and "rolling" the bar up your thighs as you do the exercise - then it's possible to straighten up and do negatives with the bigger weights - go to absolute negative failure and if you have a partner go to absolute negative assisted failure (yes pure old school Nautilus style).  Low reps - about all I could manage as I got stronger was once every week to ten days - it really took a LOT of recovery.  And be careful - you can work up to a lot of weight for such a small muscle group.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, climber511 said:

The way I found that gave me the best results was to "cheat" them big time.  Double underhand grip set up in power rack - do as many as you can strict then cheat by leaning back with legs bent and "rolling" the bar up your thighs as you do the exercise - then it's possible to straighten up and do negatives with the bigger weights - go to absolute negative failure and if you have a partner go to absolute negative assisted failure (yes pure old school Nautilus style).  Low reps - about all I could manage as I got stronger was once every week to ten days - it really took a LOT of recovery.  And be careful - you can work up to a lot of weight for such a small muscle group.

Sounds super intense, and guess what😦

I love it😂

I will definitely try that, altho I need to get myself a rack and weights because I cancelled my gym subscription for this year.

I prefer training calisthenics over weights, been doing it for 13 years and I like simplicity😮💨

Thanks for the tips lad!

Agreed with all of the finger roll stuff, they are highly underrated. I also like them for recovery going very light and opening up as much as possible, right before the weight will fall and then slowly back up.

I also prefer to do them with the barbell behind my back and hands pronated (palms away from body) tends to be the most comfortable and easiest of you can pull from a rack instead of the ground. 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Climber028 said:

Agreed with all of the finger roll stuff, they are highly underrated. I also like them for recovery going very light and opening up as much as possible, right before the weight will fall and then slowly back up.

I also prefer to do them with the barbell behind my back and hands pronated (palms away from body) tends to be the most comfortable and easiest of you can pull from a rack instead of the ground. 

Ah man, let’s not even mention the literally breathe taking pumps😮💨😂