Choosing A Block Weight

Jeff T

Hi,

I'm about to buy a hex dumbbell to make some block weights, but I don't know what weight to choose.

From what I've read I gather that a 50lb dumbbell is a good choice to buy, but I wanted to double check.

My pinching strength isn't the best, I can lift about 30kg on a wooden block but can't yet raise 2x15kg plates. Also, my hands 7.25" and I have small thumbs for my hand size.

40lbs, 50lbs, 60lbs?

Anyone got any suggestions?

Thanks,

Jeff

I got a 40lb dumbell to make my first blocks. they were 20lbs and perfect for my first blocks.

Were they too light?

Yes and no. for deadlifts? yes. Tossing/clean and presses/snatches/farmers? No, they were perfect, and I hammered my hands with these little 20lb blocks. :rock

I'd get a 40, and a 50 to start with. If you want to work max holds you can alway tape plates to it to see what block you should get next.

-HH

I was actually going to start a thread similar to this because i'm looking to buy a hex dumbell for christmas to cut up. For someone whos goal is to lift the blob would you still recomend getting one as light as the 40 or 50? Looking at benders website his 20 and 25 lbs hex heads look alot smaller in diameter compared to the blob and this seems like it would be a handicap even as you tied weight to it because of the smaller diameter.

Obviously the only hex head that is the same size as the blob is probably almost as hard to pick up so that wouldnt be a good place to start but do you think maybe starting w/ the 60 or 65 lbs hex dumbell would be a better place to start?

-Matt

mAnvil-

If you goal is to shoot for the Blob and you're not really intrested in training with blocks, don't waste time ore $ training on hex. I'd remommend getting the Blobett, or have a loadable replica made.

-HH

A 60 may be too much.

A 50 is a safe bet.

A 40 may be perfect, but it may also be too easy.

When I started, I grabbed the 40 and 50, then every few months bought one more, 10lbs up. From about the second week, the 40 got way too easy, but the 50 is still fun to pinch across the face.

Thanks for the replies fellas, I'll probly buy the 40, and maybe the 50 if I can afford it. Next tuesday there is a 20% off sale so I'll pick em up then and let you know how it goes.

Jeff,

I posted this elsewhere, but the hex dumbells were (and I think still are) 1/2 off right now at The Sports Authority. I got a 50 pounder for $18. It seems to be just the right weight for everything but tossin'

As far as width goes, a 75lb hex head seems (by feel) to be the same width as The Blob, but even with 15lbs added, it's much easier than the Blob. Still, the different shape makes it a much different lift.

Then again, there are two different brands/types of hex-head's. One brand is considerably narrower. I can't fit my hand across a 95 of the thick brand, but I can reach across a 125 of the thin brand. The 75 I mention above is the thick brand.

For reference:

Flat edge - Total Width

40: 2+7/16" - 3+11/16"

50: 2+15/16" - 4+7/16"

70: 2+5/8" - 4+9/16"

80: 2+7/8" - 4+7/8"

90: 3" - 5+7/16"

BLOB:3+7/8" - 5+3/8"

The blob dimentions are odd, as it flares outwards, but measuring from where my 7.75" hands touch the Blob, it's about 5" across, much like the 70, 75 and 80.

The best training tool for lifting a 100lb york, is with other yorks, or york simulating products.

Also, the 20+25 lb block weights are where to begin, and are by no means the only block weights you should ever get. Every few months, you need to buy something bigger until you are up to getting a 90 or 100 hex. I would say that you will never, ever lift The Blob just training with a 20 and 25 hex. Again, they are teachers and warm ups for bigger block weights.

Hex heads are hard. Jedd has half a 110 that I cant budge and I can lift the 50-pound blob with ease!

Also-Shrug has a half a 90 that my hand barely fits over. I think I can get it, I just have tried it when I was warmed up and ready. He is giving me the other half so I will have it in due time.

Big Steve gave me a pinch block a long time ago that works well for simulating the hex heads. It is 5.5 inches across the face and I can just barely get my finger tips on it. My best pull to date withit is a measly 25 pounds :blush

Be creative. Anything that is wide and hard to grasp will work as a block weight.

Rick Walker :rock

Thanks again fellas, you've all confirmed what I've been thinking. I think the brand that I'm getting is wider than most, and with my small hands that'll make a fair difference so a lighter weight will be needed.

I'm training with block weights to get my hands strong, but I have no interest in lifting the blob. Having finally having a go on the blob after this year's Aus grip comp I really doubt that I'll ever lift that. It's simply far too wide for my hands. The only way I would ever lift it would be without my index finger, so as to get the my hand opened wider.

ianders1, a 50lb for $18 is F@#n awesome, AFTER discount I'll be paying $54AUD (bout $40USD), $67.50 ($50USD) before discount.

If they were that cheap here I'd buy a 40,50 and a 60!

Jeff-

Just so you know it IS possible-I have got the blob 6 inches up with my middle finger and ring finger only.

Awesome stuff Rick!!

The stuff you can do with your hands never ceases to amaze me. Just goes to show what hard work and determination can achieve. My hat's off to you.

Jeff

I have got the blob 6 inches up with my middle finger and ring finger only.

...And you call yourself a man? ;);)

Seriously, that's pretty nuts! How long have you been training your grip? I am completely in awe of some of the things I've seen and heard about on this board. It seems that some of the less extreme things are even attainable by the rest of us mortals.

I'm just getting started but I must admit that finding this board has been very inspiring. I don't know if I'll ever bend nails, lift the blob, or set any records, but all of the knowledge that is being freely passed on is invaluable.

Thanks Jeff-you will get there man! All in good time. :mosher

I have been training grip about a year now. It comes slow. But, the gains come. Keep training. I once thought I would never bend steel either-now I am closing in on aa grade 5 bolt!

Keep training hard guys! :mosher

Send me you email addys and I will send a pic of the 2 finger blob lift-

Whoops.

Bought the 40lber. Too light.

It's okay for tossing, I suppose, and would be good to build endurance, but it's way easier than I thought it would be after playing around with it in the store.

I can lift it easily with either hand with just any finger + thumb, other than pinkies, and index finger on left hand. It is easy by the face too, but near the limits of how wide my hand will open. Then passed it around my back 57 times before my left hand gave up.

Should've bought the 50, or maybe a 55.

Oh well, you live and you learn.

Jeff T,

I found the 50lber was getting a little light my last workout, so I decided to do the COC grippers first and then the Pony Clamp (thanks for the idea Bender!) directly before the block weights to work my thumbs. Trying to do much more than pick up the block weights after that was a humbling experience. It was kind of a grip/thumb pre-exhaust.

I followed that with some sand grabbing (thanks again Bender) and my hands were on fire and completely spent.

Give that a try and see how light the 40lbs feels. It should definitely help make them feel heavier until you get 50+ ones.

BTW, Bender, my thumbs are sore this morning. That's a first in my life. Those Pony clamps are a bitch! I picked out the hardest one in the bucket, which is about 80% as hard as closing the #1, and ended up doing negatives and everything on it. GREAT Toy!

Thanks for the tip mate.

I'll probably do some regular pinching and then use the block weights to finish the workouts off. They may be light, but they still hit my hands in a very unique, very nice way.

Awesome. Keep on training those suckers, and don't ever stop. The limit of your hand strength is still unfathomable, but you'll see soon enough.

As for block weights, buy the 60, 70 and 80 as soon as you have the cash. There will be no need for pre-exhausitng your hands.

• 4 weeks later...

Going Up:

I've had my 25 pounders for about a month or so now, and I can hold 'em for about 30-45s or longer now, so I'm ready to move up. How much do you guys usually progress? Should I go up to 30 or 35 pounders? I'll probably try the duct tape thing to see, but I'm just wondering how much weight most of you have jumped on the block weights 5, 10, or more lbs. between weights. I'd buy 5lb increments all the way up, but I'm kinda poor - well I make good money, but my wife's in law school...I'm retiring in about 2 years I tell her ;)

I made 5 lbs jumps til I hit the 40lbs. It's thick enough that 2.5 lbs jumps are plenty big. And mentally it works beter for me. You know, "It's only 2 punds heavier. I can lift it."