Thick or Thin Lever?

AdriaanRobert96

I know I’ve been on a posting spree lately, I am obsessed with finding solutions to improve on what I love to do🥺

So with that said, what kind of lever would benefit grippers more, thin lever or thick levering but of course what rep ranges would be benefitial aswell?

These are mine:

image.thumb.jpg.2e32f610ba0d3fe7298509babb7ed9f0.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.f182a5ca53132f95c12255d0d002fb37.jpg

I’ve been doing lots of thick lever bar work in the past and felt no benefit on grippers tbh, sure I feel like I got iron wrists but that’s about it.

I know a ”variety” is key, with that said I have a feeling thinner levering with slightly higher rep ranges?

Correct me if I am wrong and feel free to chime in with personal experiences.

Thanks a lot, legends😊

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AdriaanRobert96 said:

I know I’ve been on a posting spree lately, I am obsessed with finding solutions to improve on what I love to do🥺

So with that said, what kind of lever would benefit grippers more, thin lever or thick levering but of course what rep ranges would be benefitial aswell?

These are mine:

I’ve been doing lots of thick lever bar work in the past and felt no benefit on grippers tbh, sure I feel like I got iron wrists but that’s about it.

I know a ”variety” is key, with that said I have a feeling thinner levering with slightly higher rep ranges?

Thanks a lot, legends😊

Levering does nothing for grippers no matter how thick or thin the bar is.

• Confused 1

Just now, DevilErik said:

Levering does nothing for grippers no matter how thick or thin the bar is.

Hmm, interesting way of seeing it😦

I personally have felt that wrist adduction helps a bit, but I might be biased so I am not sure yet.

I mean even 1% progression to help grippers is always welcome.

Trial and error and personal experience I assume😆

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DevilErik said:

This is me levering a 6kg hammer.

Dang, insane and also dangerous😦!

7 minutes ago, AdriaanRobert96 said:

These are mine:

Thanks a lot, legends😊

I think double overhand deadlifts/rack pulls and finger curls are the things that could potientally increase your gripper strength but it is definitelly not a guarantee.

• Thanks 1

Just now, AdriaanRobert96 said:

Hmm, interesting way of seeing it😦

I personally have felt that wrist adduction helps a bit, but I might be biased so I am not sure yet.

I mean even 1% progression to help grippers is always welcome.

Trial and error and personal experience I assume😆

Experience and one of Jedd's videos in which he says that sledge levering won't do anything for your gripper strength.

He has coached dozens of people so I'll take his word for it.

Edited by DevilErik

I'd say, neither will directly help.  But thick handles are def way harder to lever. 

4 minutes ago, DevilErik said:

I think double overhand deadlifts/rack pulls and finger curls are the things that could potientally increase your gripper strength but it is definitelly not a guarantee.

I don’t do deadlift anymore but I’ve definitely done finger curls before, managed 6 reps on 224lbs/ 102 kg.

Maybe I’ll give it a more methodical try this time around :)

• Like 1

I don’t do deadlift anymore but I’ve definitely done finger curls before, managed 6 reps on 224lbs/ 102 kg.

Maybe I’ll give it a more methodical try this time around :)

Just do rackpulls above the knee the range of motion for your back is tiny and it's great for grip strength.

Edited by DevilErik

I'd say the best thing for grippers is working on your set like really mastering it.

3 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

I'd say, neither will directly help.  But thick handles are def way harder to lever. 

Hmm alright, without being disrespectful I got to ask what makes you say that?

That neither will help, just curious.

I’ve heard so many times that the wrist is one of the links that strength goes through..

😅

4 minutes ago, DevilErik said:

Just do rackpulls above the knee then it's a tiny range of motion but it's great for grip strength.

Great point, I definitely do rackpulls.. I usually slap my fat gripz extreme on there…

Managed a measly 135kg a couple of times but I never took it too seriously tbh.

• Like 1

Great point, I definitely do rackpulls.. I usually slap my fat gripz extreme on there…

Managed a measly 135kg a couple of times but I never took it too seriously tbh.

Do it without fatgripz if you want carry over to grippers.

3 minutes ago, DevilErik said:

I'd say the best thing for grippers is working on your set like really mastering it.

Heard this one so many times, and I assume it’s rightfully so.. my set seems to be all over the place tbh😮💨

I got like 0.5cm left on the #3.5, but I feel a difference between my sets.

Altho I hate deep sets, makes me lose power in the last cm of the gripper so I usually stick to wide sets.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DevilErik said:

Do it without fatgripz if you want carry over to grippers.

Makes sense, I did that with fatgripz way back.. no anymore tho😅

Heard this one so many times, and I assume it’s rightfully so.. my set seems to be all over the place tbh😮💨

I got like 0.5cm left on the #3.5, but I feel a difference between my sets.

Altho I hate deep sets, makes me lose power in the last cm of the gripper so I usually stick to wide sets.

It doesn't matter what set you are using it's about perfecting gripper placement for the best leverages.

14 minutes ago, DevilErik said:

Experience and one of Jedd's videos in which he says that sledge levering won't do anything for your gripper strength.

He has coached dozens of people so I'll take his word for it.

Yeah, true that.. experience is what teaches us a lot tbh and Jedd really knows his thing aswell.

Just now, DevilErik said:

It doesn't matter what set you are using it's about perfecting gripper placement for the best leverages.

Yep, leverage is the word I was looking for😄

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, AdriaanRobert96 said:

Hmm alright, without being disrespectful I got to ask what makes you say that?

That neither will help, just curious.

I’ve heard so many times that the wrist is one of the links that strength goes through..

😅

I don’t really train grippers. I’m sure if took two of me and neither one ever touched a gripper… One that could lever a 20lbs sledge and one that couldn’t do 8lbs. I’m sure the me who could do 20lbs would be better on grippers for time but if you want to get better at grippers you gotta train on them.

1 minute ago, Blacksmith513 said:

I don’t really train grippers. I’m sure if took two of me and neither one ever touched a gripper… One that could lever a 20lbs sledge and one that couldn’t do 8lbs. I’m sure the me who could do 20lbs would be better on grippers for time but if you want to get better at grippers you gotta train on them.

Oh alright, I guess that makes sense then.

Thanks pal :)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, AdriaanRobert96 said:

Oh alright, I guess that makes sense then.

Thanks pal :)

By all means lever though. It’s my favorite thing in the grip world. 

7 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

By all means lever though. It’s my favorite thing in the grip world. 

Oh definitely will, usually once a week since it makes my wrists and elbows feel good😃

• Like 1

I prefer thick, especially for sledgehammers. I have one old hammer I almost never use since the handle is so thin it is almost impossible to use without pinching your skin. My favorite hammer has a perfect handle for my hand and it's about 1.75". My hands are just over 7.5" so I'm sure the ideal handle would scale accordingly to your personal hand size

Edited by Climber028
Typo
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Climber028 said:

I prefer thick, especially for sledgehammers. I have one old hammer I almost never use since the handle is so thin it is almost impossible to use without pinching your skin. My favorite hammer has a perfect handle for my hand and it's about 1.75". My hands are just over 7.5" so I'm sure the ideal handle would scale accordingly to your personal hand size

I like this answer😅Go with what feels good😊