Read if you want a bigger THUMB PAD!

AdriaanRobert96

So let’s talk lets talk about the thumb pad a little, I just can’t seem to get over the fact that a majority of people seem to think a thick thumb pad is mainly genetics.

While genetics play a role when it comes to the thumb pads outcome without work, it’s still a muscle and we all know muscles can be made bigger and stronger with the right strategy.

Take a look at this picture:42E6D825-A9C6-44C3-BB63-75EFFE3DFA39.thumb.jpeg.c374a770530541bc8180ad21463e63e7.jpeg

So obviously as you can see there’s a lot of muscle there and you can also see the direction of the muscle fibers aswell which leads me to my main point.

I believe there’s a matter of finding what type of training will increase it’s mass and looking around, you will realize a lot of people focus on pinching and fat/thick bar for very few reps or maybe even maximal or sub maximal loads.

Don’t get me wrong, that’s alright because it builds strength and surely some muscle mass aswell, although remember that right now were talking about thumb mass only (strength will be put aside for now).

So down to the right training:

While I just stared experimenting I don’t have the right answer, but I have some points for you.

One point is that while you should try to train in all direction, but most importantly try to work in the direction of the muscle fibers which is usually across the hand like this: 

image.thumb.jpg.4a750f9ca05c1d5186436a5c546dc380.jpg

Now you might be asking “but Adriaan, what’s best?

reps, sets, tut, dynamic work?”

I will be straight with you, as I said before I just got into the depths of this and I want to figure it out aswell because I am obsessed like that😮💨

One thing I can say I am pretty sure about is that from personal experience and a lot of other people, heavy pinching/ fat bar for singles or holds that last just a couple of seconds does little to nothing for size.

While some of you might say, “hey I’ve gotten size from that”.

The goal here is to gain as much mass on the pad as possible in the least time possible, so basically maximize hypertrophy.

My second point is:

Maybe long holds with considerable weight would be something to consider since it really stresses the muscle beyond it’s capacity at peak contraction.

How long holds you might ask?

I still experiment, but I’d say 15-30 second tops since I think that should be good enough for tearing the muscle fibers.

My third point is:

Dynamic thumb work should be a must because of it’s many benefits like:

1. Working the thumb pad through it’s full rang of motion.

2. Utilizing slow negatives on each rep to maximize muscle tear.

3. Using a Pony Clamp will allow you to increase difficulty by adding small rubber bands.

My last point is:

Recovery, while this might be obvious it’s very overlooked and or very hard for some people to gauge.

Give yourself enough time between workouts, listen to yourself and take a day off if you need it but most importantly..

Utilize deloads:

Depending on how advanced you are or how much thumb/ grip work you’re doing I’d suggest 1-2 weeks of deload every 1-2 months.

Once again this depends on yourself, this is where listening to yourself comes in.

How to deload?

So there’s different ways, but just to make this easier I’ll suggest 2 ways that work for me:

1. Every 1-2 months (or however long you can go without progress decline) you deload for 1-2 weeks where you’ll half both your reps and sets on all of your work.

2. Every 1-2 months (or however long you can go without progress decline) you can take 1-2 whole weeks off completely or just do very light work with lots of blood flow.

Conclusion: 

I am 100% sure there’s a right way for each individual to more efficiently build the thumb pad, while genetics play a role in how much mass will have without work.. it doesn’t mean that you can’t build it because you start off smaller in mass size.

Last words:

Feel free to go crazy, add theories, facts, personal experiences and also.. all the thumb pad monsters can also chime in and add some advice, everyone is welcome.. let’s build that damn thumb pad!

• Like 3

Dynamic keypinch with a pony clamp and thumbless finger extensions with those elastic finger bands got my thumbpad huge in no time back when I was focusing on it.

Don't go heavy because you'll end up with thumb joint pain go super light and build up VERY gradually.

Edited by DevilErik
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, DevilErik said:

Dynamic keypinch with a pony clamp and thumbless finger extensions with those elastic finger bands got my thumbpad huge in no time back when I was focusing on it.

Don't go heavy because you'll end up with thumb joint pain go super light and build up VERY gradually.

I usually use the pony clamp the same way I pinch from the floor, I’ll definitely try the key pinch..

Not quite sure, but how should I do the thumbless finger extensions?

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, AdriaanRobert96 said:

I usually use the pony clamp the same way I pinch from the floor, I’ll definitely try the key pinch..

Not quite sure, but how should I do the thumbless finger extensions?

Just don't put your thumb in and do the same as you normally would with the thumb.

It feels a bit awkward at first but the thumbpad pump is INSANE.

Edited by DevilErik
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, DevilErik said:

Just don't put your thumb in and do the same as you normally would with the thumb.

It feels a bit awkward at first but the thumbpad pump is INSANE.

Oh alright, I got ya😄Will give it a go for sure!

• Like 1

Find a picture of Joe Kinney's hand and see a HUGE thumbpad.  I always noted that when I first saw him and I started training grip. No way it was not due to his training it.

• Haha 1

On 12/26/2022 at 12:16 PM, Wannagrip said:

Find a picture of Joe Kinney's hand and see a HUGE thumbpad.  I always noted that when I first saw him and I started training grip. No way it was not due to his training it.

Yeah, I remember seeing that.. jeez😦

I made this  a couple years ago. It’s just to work the thumb. A couple reps with this in each hand and you Really work the thumb pad

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, John Knowlton said:

I made this  a couple years ago. It’s just to work the thumb. A couple reps with this in each hand and you Really work the thumb pad

image.jpg

image.jpg

Oh this looks like something I’ve seen before, very nice and jesus them hands look larg af😦😂

How did you make this thing?

Answer whenever you have time or even want to go through the hassle😮💨

No worries I’ll send something soon

• Thanks 1

This is how it starts

image.jpgStep one

Edited by John Knowlton
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, John Knowlton said:

Step two

image.jpg

Awh man, you’re a saint🥺
I really appreciate you taking your time bud, I will definitely get these things and make myself a thumb builder😎

Thanks a lot legend!

2 minutes ago, AdriaanRobert96 said:

Right? 

That creativity of these gripsters is something else🥺

I have a few ideas but so far thats all they are.🤣

Step four drill and tap hole in outer sleeve. Cut slot on inner sleeve

image.jpg

• Thanks 1

Step six. Clean welds and get ready for paint

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, John Knowlton said:

Step five make pretty And paint