Do you need to "do it all" for general everyday strength?

Dim_Sum_Kid

I'm not competitive in anyway. But I like training grip, for the sake of having a stronger grip. When it comes to crush and extensors, I'm fine with grippers, finger curls, and the rubber bands for the extensors. But for the wrist and pinch, how beneficial is it to "do it all"?

For example with the wrist, there's flexion/extension, ulnar/radial deviation, pronation/supination, and circumduction. Is it best to do all four, or to pick one or two and treat the others as supplementary? If I should pick one, or two which one or two are that main ones to pick?

Same goes for pinch. There's abduction/adduction, extension/flexion, opposition/reposition. Do I pick one, and supplement with the rest, or do I do it all?

Edited by Dim_Sum_Kid
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Dim_Sum_Kid said:

I'm not competitive in anyway. But I like training grip, for the sake of having a stronger grip. When it comes to crush and extensors, I'm fine with grippers, finger curls, and the rubber bands for the extensors. But for the wrist and pinch, how beneficial is it to "do it all"?

For example with the wrist, there's flexion/extension, ulnar/radial deviation, pronation/supination, and circumduction. Is it best to do all four, or to pick one or two and treat the others as supplementary? If I should pick one, or two which one or two are that main ones to pick?

Same goes for pinch. There's abduction/adduction, extension/flexion, opposition/reposition. Do I pick one, and supplement with the rest, or do I do it all?

Block weights, thickbar and wrist work is all you need for general strength you don't even need grippers.

The only gripper that does have SOME carry over to general strength is the Ivanko Super Gripper.

But you don't need any grippers if you are doing finger curls.

Train all angles of the wrist including circumduction otherwise you'll end up having muscle imbalances which can lead to injuries.

For pinch you only need block weights which is wide pinch there is no substitute for block weights.

Dynamic pinch, things like pony clamps are useless for general strength block weights and maybe(I am not sure about this one) pinch blocks of different sizes is all you need for pinch.

For thickbar you could train different widths like maybe blue fatgripz, fatgripz extreme and axle.

Finger extensor work is only good for recovery in my opinion and maybe injury prevention other than that it's completely useless.

Edited by DevilErik
  • Like 1

Man who chases too many rabbits - goes hungry.  Everyone is different but build your base strength up and the rest will be cake.  It will probably take some experimenting to find what carries over to other things.  For me when my wrist curl and finger curl is strong I can do most feats of grip strength.  When the wrist curl hits 200# I can do all the feats except the Inch.

2 minutes ago, DevilErik said:

Block weights, thickbar and wrist work is all you need for general strength you don't even need grippers.

The only gripper that does have SOME carry over to general strength is the Ivanko Super Gripper.

But you don't need any grippers if you are doing finger curls.

Train all angles of the wrist including circumduction otherwise you'll end up having muscle imbalances which can lead to injuries.

For pinch you only need block weights which is wide pinch there is no substitute for block weights.

Dynamic pinch like pony clamps are useless for general strength block weights and maybe(I am not sure about this one) pinch blocks of different sizes is all you need for pinch.

For thickbar you could train different widths like maybe blue fatgripz, fatgripz extreme and axle.

Finger extensor work is only good for recovery in my opinion and maybe injury prevention other than that it's completely useless.

Good advice here - except for block weights for me - I get nothing from them - but most people do.  My carry over is much better doing David Horne's Euro pinch

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Keypinch could also be useful for general hand strength but I'd recommend building a base on the other stuff first before adding in keypinch.

• Like 1

Don't forget about your brachioradialis add in some hammer/reverse curls as well.

They already get some work from the reverse wrist curls but I don't think it's enough.

Edited by DevilErik

In periods where i'm not peaking for a particular feat or gripper close i'm always training everything, RGT deadlifts, RGT wrist curls off a cable stack, Variations of pinch, Thumbless deadlifts, All the usual good stuff because come time to peak again your ceiling can become alot higher