Norcal Strongman And Pda Thunderball Contest

Clay Edgin

A buddy of mine is promoting his strongman competition at www.norcalstrongman.com There will the normal strongman events and then a Thunderball competition after the main events. I will be there doing what I can to out-grip stronger guys than me!

I read the rules.

I am just curious, and would only like to know, I don't intend to ask any more question on this matter apart from these:

Why no chalk allowed?

Will a brand new Thunderball be used for this contest?

No problem on the questions --

1. RE: No chalk -- after some discussion with others, it seems as though most people try to throw chalk into the berings and make their lift easier. While the PDA should all but not be impedimented by this, I still would rather not have to scrub out the handle between lifters to keep things fair. Being this is a grip/lift challenge, what better way to equalize everyone than to allow no help in any form. Plain, grubby paws, a PDA handle, and some weights. Give it a lift and we'll see what comes of it.

2. The PDA thunderball will be all but new. I should be receiving it the same month as the competition, plus or minus a week or two. It will get some light use from myself and a couple of friends who have never used one of these before. We will do some dry runs imitating the competition and review the rules to ensure we know what we are doing and we are all in synch for the rules and officiating. If I find that no one can lift 10 pounds without chalk, I may revisit my decision for #1. I don't anticipate that to happen though.

If I can turn it around on you,

May I ask why the lack of chalk would be concerning? How big of a delta do you think your lift is with/without chalk? I'm curious what the real-life difference is.

With regular deadlifts, I know the difference for me is in the amount of times I can lift the weight more than the actual weight lifted. ie. my grip wears out sooner. I can still pick up a significant amount of weight without chalk. This was part of the decision making process for me.

One potential issue with no chalk is that you have a bunch of sweaty hands touching and grabbing it. Could definitely put the later competitors at a disadvantage. I would think chalk in the bearing swould be minimal if you'd allow people to chalk, but just make them brush their hands together to keep it sane. Or say no chalk on the hands, and have a "contest representative" carefully chalk the handle between competitors. That might work.

One potential issue with no chalk is that you have a bunch of sweaty hands touching and grabbing it. Could definitely put the later competitors at a disadvantage. I would think chalk in the bearing swould be minimal if you'd allow people to chalk, but just make them brush their hands together to keep it sane. Or say no chalk on the hands, and have a "contest representative" carefully chalk the handle between competitors. That might work.

That is an interesting idea. I was thinking just toweling it. If I can get the air compressor - which is what I think the air pig is, that'd be better.

I'll think on it. Thanks for the ideas.

I wont be there but in the interest of consistancy, bring up these points.

I don't use chalk and probably never will, however, the handle will get greasy as has been previously discussed, if several people are using it.

As far as a new thunderball, the frame of reference from similar competitions has been to use a new out of the package impliment foe each contest.

One potential issue with no chalk is that you have a bunch of sweaty hands touching and grabbing it. Could definitely put the later competitors at a disadvantage. I would think chalk in the bearing swould be minimal if you'd allow people to chalk, but just make them brush their hands together to keep it sane.  Or say no chalk on the hands, and have a "contest representative" carefully chalk the handle between competitors. That might work.

That is an interesting idea. I was thinking just toweling it. If I can get the air compressor - which is what I think the air pig is, that'd be better.

I'll think on it. Thanks for the ideas.

Air pig is a portable tank.Looks like a propane tank...you fill it up with air with a compressor and it stores 'air'...works great.We have used it for Rolling THunder maintenance.

Ask around.One of your buddies will likely have one.Or call Lowes,Home depot,menards...what ever.

Good luck.

i don't use chalk either.maybe?i'd want to with too many fried chicken eatin',sweaty palmed,hamburger and fry chompin' competitors though. :rolleyes

• 1 month later...