How do you spread out the different wrist movements?

Dim_Sum_Kid

When it comes to wrist there's flexion/extension, ulnar/radial deviation, pronation/supination. I tend to train grip three times a week. Should I do all the wrist movements in one workout three times a week? Do I spread them out over the week, like one or maybe two types per workout?

Same questions for the different types of pinch. I know I can just do pinch grip blocks, or pony pinch, but if I want to mix it up (key pinch, hub pinch, ect) should I do a different type each workout?

I'm not a competitor or anything. I just want stronger grip

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Dim_Sum_Kid said:

When it comes to wrist there's flexion/extension, ulnar/radial deviation, pronation/supination. I tend to train grip three times a week. Should I do all the wrist movements in one workout three times a week? Do I spread them out over the week, like one or maybe two types per workout?

Same questions for the different types of pinch. I know I can just do pinch grip blocks, or pony pinch, but if I want to mix it up (key pinch, hub pinch, ect) should I do a different type each workout?

I'm not a competitor or anything. I just want stronger grip

There's also circumduction. I would do them twice a week for 2 sets per exercise. 

From what I have heard pony pinch and hub are pretty useless unless you have specific goals with those implements.

Pinching twice a week worked really well for me.

Volume wise I have no idea everyone is different when it comes to the amount of volume they can recover from.

Edited by DevilErik
  • Like 1

If your just training for pragmatic purposes then I would imagine that wrist flexion and circumduction are the most useful in regards to full body movements outside of the gym.

K, interesting point about the pony pinch and the hub. I don't necessarily NEED to do them. But I like the variety. If I'm actually losing out by doing those and not focusing on the pinch block, then that might be a consideration.

Also interesting because this is the first I've heard of circumduction. What movements do you suggest?

Edited by Dim_Sum_Kid
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, DevilErik said:

There's also circumduction. I would do them twice a week for 2 sets per exercise. 

From what I have heard pony pinch and hub are pretty useless unless you have specific goals with those implements.

Pinching twice a week worked really well for me.

Volume wise I have no idea everyone is different when it comes to the amount of volume they can recover from.

How would one work circumduction?

• Like 2

Wrist circumduction is basically using your hand like a balljoint if this still doesn't make sense google it.

Edited by DevilErik

"Power Forearms" is an older Health For Life program that covers things pretty well.  It has served me well for many years.  Available online with a search for free.  Push the weight really hard on the basics - then rest equally hard.  If you do it right 3 times a week will likely be too much after you get strong enough to use serious weights.  You can't build a nice house without a solid foundation.   

• Like 1

On 12/22/2022 at 4:35 AM, hellswindstaff said:

If your just training for pragmatic purposes then I would imagine that wrist flexion and circumduction are the most useful in regards to full body movements outside of the gym.

So would it be fair to say that overall for everyday grip strength that ulnar/radial deviation and pronation/supination should be lower on the list of priorities? Is it kind of like focusing on squat over leg extensions? I typically bias towards the idea of minimalism, but I also don't want to unwittingly neglect something

Edit: Disregard. I'm going to ask that in another thread

Edited by Dim_Sum_Kid

On 12/23/2022 at 7:25 AM, DevilErik said:

Wrist circumduction is basically using your hand like a balljoint if this still doesn't make sense google it.

Why didn’t I think of that. TYFYS

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, climber511 said:

"Power Forearms" is an older Health For Life program that covers things pretty well.  It has served me well for many years.  Available online with a search for free.  Push the weight really hard on the basics - then rest equally hard.  If you do it right 3 times a week will likely be too much after you get strong enough to use serious weights.  You can't build a nice house without a solid foundation.   

i'm going to look into that program. i'd like to  add it to my routine if i can without taking away from what i'm doing already.

15 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

i'm going to look into that program. i'd like to  add it to my routine if i can without taking away from what i'm doing already.

Let me know how that goes for you.  There's no way I could "add it to another program" - do either well and recover.  Done right it takes a lot of recovery time - at least for me - twice a week in the beginning and once every 5 or so days later on.  Doing Power Forearms twice thru at 100% effort takes all I've got - I can only get thru it once in the beginning.  Post your weights used please.  I view this as a 6 or 8 week stand alone program done once a year.  I add weight as soon as I hit the top of the rep range (8 to 12) - which is nearly every workout.  So it gets hard real quick.  When I do it - it's all the forearm/grip I do (or can do).  Right now I'm setting the stage before I start the program again - just doing wrist curls with 125# x 25 and Reverse wrist curls with 42# x 25 reps plus the levering it calls for.  Get strong on this - really strong - I think you'll be very pleased.  The only thing I've ever been able to add to it is "finger curls" - and that only after some serious toughening up.  Good Luck!!!

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, climber511 said:

Let me know how that goes for you.  There's no way I could "add it to another program" - do either well and recover.  Done right it takes a lot of recovery time - at least for me - twice a week in the beginning and once every 5 or so days later on.  Doing Power Forearms twice thru at 100% effort takes all I've got - I can only get thru it once in the beginning.  Post your weights used please.  I view this as a 6 or 8 week stand alone program done once a year.  I add weight as soon as I hit the top of the rep range (8 to 12) - which is nearly every workout.  So it gets hard real quick.  When I do it - it's all the forearm/grip I do (or can do).  Right now I'm setting the stage before I start the program again - just doing wrist curls with 125# x 25 and Reverse wrist curls with 42# x 25 reps plus the levering it calls for.  Get strong on this - really strong - I think you'll be very pleased.  The only thing I've ever been able to add to it is "finger curls" - and that only after some serious toughening up.  Good Luck!!!

Thanks. Might have to modify it and not do the real program then for now. Because i've got a coach and not going mess with his program. But i'm going to look it up and get will something out of it. From the little  I know about it, it sounds like a very solid program. 

1 hour ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Thanks. Might have to modify it and not do the real program then for now. Because i've got a coach and not going mess with his program. But i'm going to look it up and get will something out of it. From the little  I know about it, it sounds like a very solid program. 

If you're working with a coach I'd stay with his advice - you're probably working towards something specific.  This really isn't a good "add on" to a program.  To me it's a base building or somewhat of a "reset" program.  I'll do this for a while and then go to what might be called event training towards a few goals I have.  Check it out for sure - it is solid.   Luck to you!

• Like 1