Specs On The Im Nails?

CMunger

Checked in here and in the FAQ, couldn't find what the length/diameters of the IM nails are. I'm just curious to see where I'm at, because yellow, blue, cut yellow, etc are kinda greek to me at this point. I want to answer the survey, but I don't know where my 6"x 1/4" falls. Might not be anything yet, but like I said, I don't know. Looking for yet more perspective.

Duh, upon further review Rick sorta covered that in his reply to my original "you guys are nuts" post. Would still be curious as to the full range, though. Thanks.

Edited by CMunger

As far as I know IM nails are all cold rolled. That being said:

IM white: 6" 3/16

IM green: 5" 3/16

IM yellow: 7" 1/4

IM blue: 6" 1/4

IM red: 7" 5/16

In general, I have found the cold rolled to be tougher than the hot rolled-

Rick Walker :rock

but I don't know where my 6"x 1/4" falls. Might not be anything yet, but like I said, I don't know. Looking for yet more perspective.

If it is Crown Bolt Co. HRS (that is what Home Depot sells) then it is comparable to the IM Blue.

I've been playing around and measuring all the stuff I buy to bend, and the differences between batches of cold rolled and hot rolled are all over the place.

I try to buy 10' lengths to keep things consistant and I haven't bent anywhere near the amount of steel most of you have, but I usually test bend to about 1/2" and then often further and a good bit of the HRS (hot rolled steel) is harder to bend than the cold of the same size. Most CRS seems to have a harder "start" to the bend as far as feel goes (less spring) but doesn't test all that different. I have 5/16" aluminum that tests harder than the 3/8" aluminum I have. The 5/16" is tempered and the 3/8" is not. Looking at the challenge bars on the website, the HRS seems harder in many cases there too.

The biggest problem I have with the challenge bars is that we need an American distibuter for them just ot make them easier to obtain. My 2 cents.