Almost closed a CoC 3.5 after my first 1 month and 28 days of training

JellyB

Hello everybody,

My name is Jelly and I just wanted to tell here that after my first month and 28 days of training ive almost closed a CoC 3.5. I know its hard to believe

that is why (obviously) ill post the link to my youtube video. On my IG, Jellybarbe you can see that about 2 months ago ive got a gripperset send by Goldengrip to me and some days later and also my first training ever I couldnt close a 90kg one so obviously im making great progress :)

https://youtube.com/shorts/5rlvbu5h3Qw

Jelly

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, JellyB said:

Hello everybody,

My name is Jelly and I just wanted to tell here that after my first month and 28 days of training ive almost closed a CoC 3.5. I know its hard to believe

that is why (obviously) ill post the link to my youtube video. On my IG, Jellybarbe you can see that about 2 months ago ive got a gripperset send by Goldengrip to me and some days later and also my first training ever I couldnt close a 90kg one so obviously im making great progress :)

https://youtube.com/shorts/5rlvbu5h3Qw

Jelly

It's a little easier to believe once you find out it's a two-handed close.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

@JellyByou gotta not use your second hand after the set. It makes it way easier and isn't allowed in certifications or contests. 

• Like 3

I am not going to be mean, because you are new and you just need to watch some other folks a bit and see what's what.  There's definitely some strength there, and you should keep working grippers and may well get close to (or succeed at) closing a 3.5.  The reason that your video does not show a particularly "close" attempt is, as some of the others have said, because you used your other hand to help too much and also it was still a significant distance from being closed (the hardest part is that last millimeter!).  Rather than ridicule you though, I would suggest people encourage you to look at videos of true closes, learn better form, and get some solid, valid closes with easier grippers as you train towards the harder ones.  There is no shame in posting a video of you successfully closing a 2 or 2.5, or whatever is the hardest you can close under conventional conditions.  And no need to jump the gun and post what you can't do yet (especially when it is something almost no one can do anyway).

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

On 12/13/2022 at 5:59 PM, Vinnie said:

I am not going to be mean, because you are new and you just need to watch some other folks a bit and see what's what.  There's definitely some strength there, and you should keep working grippers and may well get close to (or succeed at) closing a 3.5.  The reason that your video does not show a particularly "close" attempt is, as some of the others have said, because you used your other hand to help too much and also it was still a significant distance from being closed (the hardest part is that last millimeter!).  Rather than ridicule you though, I would suggest people encourage you to look at videos of true closes, learn better form, and get some solid, valid closes with easier grippers as you train towards the harder ones.  There is no shame in posting a video of you successfully closing a 2 or 2.5, or whatever is the hardest you can close under conventional conditions.  And no need to jump the gun and post what you can't do yet (especially when it is something almost no one can do anyway).

This. You are miles away from a proper close at that level. Like Vinnie said, train at a level of performing a proper close and then keep going. Who knows where you might end up! :) 

• Like 6

People nowadays seem to be obsessed with how fast they can reach a certain goal without caring about technique or longevity.

People should stop worrying about time and start focusing on quality training sessions and staying injury free.

Some people close a no.4 in two years it takes others four or maybe five years and there are people that will never close a no.4 but who cares.

Consistently getting stronger and still being able to close a no.3 at seventy years old or aiming to be stronger at seventy than you are now is a much better goal/approach.

I don't understand why the "Ronnie Coleman approach" to things is so popular nowadays.

Edited by DevilErik
  • Like 3

34 minutes ago, DevilErik said:

People nowadays seem to be obsessed with how fast they can reach a certain goal without caring about technique or longevity.

People should stop worrying about time and start focusing on quality training sessions and staying injury free.

Some people close a no.4 in two years it takes others four or maybe five years and there are people that will never close a no.4 but who cares.

Consistently getting stronger and still being able to close a no.3 at seventy years old or aiming to be stronger at seventy than you are now is a much better goal/approach.

I don't understand why the "Ronnie Coleman approach" to things is so popular nowadays.

instant gratification.. 

I admire Ronnie Coleman a lot, that man is a legend. It breaks my heart to see him now. 

• Like 4

You aren't almost there. Springs don't get harder linearly like weights do, the closer it gets to being closed the harder each increment is, and you're pretty far off. Definitely keep training and ride the motivation, but the expectations need to be tempered a bit or you're in for a world of disappointment. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Climber028 said:

You aren't almost there. Springs don't get harder linearly like weights do, the closer it gets to being closed the harder each increment is, and you're pretty far off. Definitely keep training and ride the motivation, but the expectations need to be tempered a bit or you're in for a world of disappointment. 

Mate, do you even keep up? I closed it last week already. And also off camera without holding the spring 

8 minutes ago, Jellybarbe said:

Mate, do you even keep up? I closed it last week already. And also off camera without holding the spring 

Why didn't you film it when you closed it without holding the spring? That's what most of us want to see 

Edited by EmilBB
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, EmilBB said:

Why didn't you film it when you closed it without holding the spring? That's what most of us want to see 

Alright, ill upload a video maximum by friday👍

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Jellybarbe said:

No, I don't keep up with every single lifter on the planet. I'm only going off of the videos you have provided, so far you have not completed a close on any gripper at all. If after the set is complete your off hand makes any contact at all with the gripper then you have not closed that gripper. 

• Like 10

1 minute ago, Climber028 said:

No, I don't keep up with every single lifter on the planet. I'm only going off of the videos you have provided, so far you have not completed a close on any gripper at all. If after the set is complete your off hand makes any contact at all with the gripper then you have not closed that gripper. 

Zzzzzzz ill upload a vid on friday zzzzz

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Londonjoseph said:

What a great way to react to criticism! 

Mate, im not surprised by your reaction, I blocked you on Insta after you started with personal insults, now you start here. I guess i just cant get rid of you can it🤣

Edited by Jellybarbe

6 hours ago, Jellybarbe said:

Mate, im not surprised by your reaction, I blocked you on Insta after you started with personal insults, now you start here. I guess i just cant get rid of you can it🤣

I'm not gonna delve into details since I don't think gripboard allows it, but your reaction to criticism is "zzzz I'll do it zzzz" which really shows your maturity. Just seems to me you can't handle one bit of criticism. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Jellybarbe said:

You're basically ego lifting my dude. Your "hammer curl" was obnoxious to say the least. Most of us are trying to keep you from injury and making stupid training decisions and poor exercise form. But you are intent on doing it.

As they say in France, you can lead a horse to the watering hole but you can't make it drink. 

I suppose you do you, just don't expect everyone to cheer you on. 

• Like 2

Strong work! But I’d call that a braced close and not a real close. Good for training by allowing you to do extra reps at the end of a training set.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, David_wigren said:

Strong work! But I’d call that a braced close and not a real close. Good for training by allowing you to do extra reps at the end of a training set.

Thanks! Yeah the second hand definetly helps more then it should. I should train full range i know

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/19/2022 at 1:41 PM, Jellybarbe said:

Zzzzzzz ill upload a vid on friday zzzzz

What happened??? Where is the video at?? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1

It still says "Fastest to close a CoC 3.5" in his instagram bio, I think he just wants to impress people who don't know better.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, studman123 said:

This thread deserves a bumb. Wonder where he at now 🤣

He’s probably lifting the inch with blobs balanced on each globe while no setting a 3.5 in the other hand.

Edited by Blacksmith513
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4