What does everyones diet and recovery look like

Blacksmith513

I know its a subject thats been covered probably a few times over the years here, but peoples methods change and some members have gone and some have joined. My diet consists of lots of coffee, whole milk, greek yogurt, oat meal protein shakes, peanut butter, bread, eggs, beef, avocado, pizza, sausage and chicken, plus a few vegetables.   I started adding powdered collagen to coffee as its supposed to be good for you.  Not the healthiest but I could do worse I suppose. 

For recovery, I row on off days and try and do yoga/ stretch my whole body including wrists every night after work and in the morning after rowing which makes a huge difference.. Foam rolling is great for finding knotted up muscles. I also squeeze one of those ironmind eggs on long car rides..  Just curious what everyone else does.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Blacksmith513 said:

I know its a subject thats been covered probably a few times over the years here, but peoples methods change and some members have gone and some have joined. My diet consists of lots of coffee, whole milk, greek yogurt, oat meal protein shakes, peanut butter, bread, eggs, beef, avocado, pizza, sausage and chicken, plus a few vegetables.   I started adding powdered collagen to coffee as its supposed to be good for you.  Not the healthiest but I could do worse I suppose. 

For recovery, I row on off days and try and do yoga/ stretch my whole body including wrists every night after work and in the morning after rowing which makes a huge difference.. Foam rolling is great for finding knotted up muscles. I also squeeze one of those ironmind eggs on long car rides..  Just curious what everyone else does.

I eat whatever I want, I do high rep closes to failure with a very light gripper and extensor work on grip days I don't do anything for recovery on off days.

I did the same back when I was still training thickbar,pinch and wrists.

I'd do deadhangs,high rep (50-100 rep sets) tricep pushdowns and high rep(50-100 rep sets) facepulls on off days back when I was still resistance training 4 times a week.

Edited by DevilErik
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, DevilErik said:

I eat whatever I want, I do high rep closes to failure with a very light gripper and extensor work on grip days I don't do anything for recovery on off days.

I did the same back when I was still training thickbar,pinch and wrists.

I'd do deadhangs,high rep (50-100 rep sets) tricep pushdowns and high rep(50-100 rep sets) facepulls on off days back when I was still resistance training 4 times a week.

Yeah, i basically eat whatever I want when I want, I just try to avoid sweets and  unfortunately limit my alcohol, but thats more because I wake up so early than health reasons. 

deadhangs are great at the end of a workout.  

• Like 1

Diet is almost always high protein low carbs, with a cheat day every now and then.

recovery, depending on the injury it could be just band work. Or lightweight lots of reps to get the blood flowing.

(beer does not count as a cheat)

• Like 2

6 hours ago, John Knowlton said:

(beer does not count as a cheat)

Its great for recovery. If your going to ice your hands, it might as well be with an ice cold beer.

• Like 1

If I want to categorize them, I have weight loss, maintenance, and bulking periods.
When the goal is weight loss, I count/weigh/log everything. It's just the most efficient way to do it. I go TDEE -20~30% in calories, with BW (lbs) x 1 g of protein, 30-35% of calories are from fats, then whatever is left is ch. If I go 30%< than target in a day, the next day, I compensate. 
With maintenance, I just make sure protein is at least BW (lbs) x 0.75 g (I don't weigh/log this). I also restrict myself to smaller portions. But no logging. 
Bulking is almost the same as maintenance. I just try to train more and don't restrict myself that much 😄. The last I did heavy, mindless bulking was several years ago. That time I squatted 3-4 times/week for hours each session. I don't have that much time for training nowadays, and I would just get fat... 

As for supplements, I always take a multivitamin (only half the dose recommended on the label though, more than enough). Additionally, I take calcium and potassium because I don't get enough of these minerals from my diet. I also took collagen for a while. Maybe I will start it again. 

As for wrist recovery, low resistance wrist curls, reverse wrist curls (resistance bands with a rolling pin), ulnar deviations, radial deviations (twist yo wrist) work really well for me. But to be honest, for me, the best would be to be more patient with bending and not mess up my wrist every x months. 
When I focused on grippers and had problems with my thumb MCP joint, contrast baths worked wonders for me. 
When I had "tennis elbow," I essentially had to wait it out; resting worked the best. It took a relatively long time to heal completely, but I never had a problem after it 100% recovered. 
With "golfers elbow," pushdowns and cross-friction massage work the best for me, and it usually goes away pretty fast. Comes back quickly too... 

Edited by matek
  • Like 2

Recovery is pretty simple if the basics are handled first:

Diet

Avoid alcohol and tobacco products, eat as little possible sugars and refined carbohydrates, adequate animal sourced protein 0.6 to 0.8 grans per pound of bodyweight, Eat a wide variety of dark leafy greens and other non-starchy vegetables. 

Sleep

7 to 9 hours per night, absolute darkness, cool temperature ideally below 68F, limit screen usage and bright lights in the hour before sleeping, try to wake up at a consistent time each day and get early morning sun exposure when practical. Avoid caffeine past around 1 to 2pm.

Movement

Large movements should be in your fullest range possible. Huge amount of simple movements like walking, don't spend all day sedentary as resting too completely will slow recovery due to decreased blood flow. For specific injuries, extremely high rep and extremely low load movement up to but not past the point of pain, without movement and blood flow there is no recovery of a tendon and/or ligament. 

Stress

Of course easier said than done, but don't have a stressful life. Take care of any anger issues or life sources of extreme stress. Pick any of the millions of breathing exercises and do whichever you enjoy the most and can stay consistent with. 

• Like 1

On 12/10/2022 at 6:06 AM, Blacksmith513 said:

Usually my lunches consist of organic chicken cooked in olive oil and seasoned with organic garlic powder and salt-free southwest seasoning with red lentil pasta. Also eat a lot of sockeye salmon with kale (cooked in olive oil and minced garlic). Every once in a while ground bison with kale and sweet potatoes. For breakfast I like Müsli with sugar-free yogurt with organic blueberries OR oatmeal OR egg whites spiced up with salt-free cayenne powder. Throughout the day (between meals) I like to snack on raw almonds (no salt) and/or fruit (often apples). I don’t add any table salt to anything I cook. 

Don’t be fooled though, I do take my cheat meals too (super hot wings, authentic Chinese, Korean and much more). 

• Like 1

I eat mostly meat’s probably 80% of intake, I sleep 7-8 hours most nights and train on average 3 days a week but more 2 days a week than 4s. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Climber028 said:

Recovery is pretty simple if the basics are handled first:

Diet

Avoid alcohol and tobacco products, eat as little possible sugars and refined carbohydrates, adequate animal sourced protein 0.6 to 0.8 grans per pound of bodyweight, Eat a wide variety of dark leafy greens and other non-starchy vegetables. 

Sleep

7 to 9 hours per night, absolute darkness, cool temperature ideally below 68F, limit screen usage and bright lights in the hour before sleeping, try to wake up at a consistent time each day and get early morning sun exposure when practical. Avoid caffeine past around 1 to 2pm.

Movement

Large movements should be in your fullest range possible. Huge amount of simple movements like walking, don't spend all day sedentary as resting too completely will slow recovery due to decreased blood flow. For specific injuries, extremely high rep and extremely low load movement up to but not past the point of pain, without movement and blood flow there is no recovery of a tendon and/or ligament. 

Stress

Of course easier said than done, but don't have a stressful life. Take care of any anger issues or life sources of extreme stress. Pick any of the millions of breathing exercises and do whichever you enjoy the most and can stay consistent with. 

You hit the nail on the head with stress. When I go through stressful  periods I do not recovery properly and my whole body starts to ache and doms seems to linger. Its just how it manifests itself in my body.

You are also right about movement too. If I don't move I feel like junk.   I ideally should get 10 hours of sleep, but waking up at 4:30 every morning, i'd need to go to bed real early.  I've sorta gotten used to it all these years.

Lots of good info here. This is the stuff that keeps us going.. It's just as important as training.

10 hours is usually too much sleep. If you are a high level athlete and that's your full time job the better option would be to have a standard 7 to 9 hours per night and add a separate nap in the middle of the day of 90 minutes or less. For most people this either isn't useful, or is not practically possible working a normal job and having a family. 

• Like 1

I try (sometimes unsuccessfully) to eat real food for the most part - I try to stay away from anything that the ingredient list reminds me of high school chemistry class.  I sleep until I wake up (generally 7 to 9 hours depending).  I "workout" seven days a week but what I call a "workout" you might not.  I obviously lift weights - climb on my climbing wall - ride the stationary bike - use my Ski Erg - Walk - swing some kettlebells around - go for a hike with my backpack on - gymnastics rings -carry rocks or sandbags around - do Power Forearms etc. - hangboard - and on and on.  Sometimes only a couple of those things - some days many of them.  Easy - moderate- hard- and nasty hard depending how I feel.  I do tons of "mobility and stretching" (not really the same thing) - I occasionally do some Ashtanga Yoga or Tai Chi.  I sit too darn much and don't move around as much as I should being retired (that's why I workout 7 days a week).  I supplement moderately - I do resistance breathing exercises (Powerbreathe etc) - at the moment I am working on holding my breath just for a challenge (best at the moment is 3 min 23 sec).  I love doing little "challenges" - helps keep the boredom at bay.  I miss competitions a lot but doubt I'll get back into them - the specialized training seems to lead to more injuries than I want - if I can't be at least marginally competitive in the open class I'd rather stay home.  Grip comps aren't what they used to be - lots of little "gadget" type implements which just don't interest me.  Chiropractor once in a while - wife and I give each other massages now and then - hang from a bar - roll around on the floor (actually a good idea).  

• Like 2

Currently, I try to get as much sleep as possible. Usually around 6-8 hours depending on the day. I follow a low carb diet and supplement with Vitamin D3+k2 and fish oil.  

• Like 1

my diet is average 3 squares,  sometimes a snack. Problem is booze and not enough sleep. totally explains my sub par performance lol

But Im trying to clean it up. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BottledCitrus said:

my diet is average 3 squares,  sometimes a snack. Problem is booze and not enough sleep. totally explains my sub par performance lol

But Im trying to clean it up. 

yeah, I don't know how old you are and dont get me wrong I can still drink, but the further away from 21 I get the more tired I feel next day... If I keep it under 7 i'm normally fine.. I used to drink 30-40 beers a week. Now Its more like 5-10 at most. I love the stuff but I feel so much better now and I still have my moments where I put them down.

I just got some MSM in pill form. I'm curious to see if that does anything. 

I will say fish oil make a huge difference. I got PRK eye surgery in May..They say the first year dry eyes can be a problem I don't get dry eye too much, but if i stop with the fish oil pills which I have 2 or 3 times to see, my eyes feel worse. So if they do good for the eyes, they must do good for the body.

Edited by Blacksmith513