Training program advice please

Brigsy

Hi all, over the last few months I’ve been making a concerted effort to train my grip twice a week. I’ve been using 5x5 method and increasing weight when I hit the 3 sets of 5 at the top set. I’ve been training the David Horne drainpipe and the Grip Bend Italia oklift. Just trying to focus on those two things. I’ve been stuck on both for quite some time. I’m even about 10kg off my PB on the drainpipe.  I’ve tried having a rest and coming back to it but no luck. 

anyone have any programming tips please? Getting discouraged and frustrated. Thanks in advance. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Brigsy said:

Hi all, over the last few months I’ve been making a concerted effort to train my grip twice a week. I’ve been using 5x5 method and increasing weight when I hit the 3 sets of 5 at the top set. I’ve been training the David Horne drainpipe and the Grip Bend Italia oklift. Just trying to focus on those two things. I’ve been stuck on both for quite some time. I’m even about 10kg off my PB on the drainpipe.  I’ve tried having a rest and coming back to it but no luck. 

anyone have any programming tips please? Getting discouraged and frustrated. Thanks in advance. 

Try some lower reps like singles or maybe doubles or triples.

Maybe you could try 5x3 instead of 3x5.

You could also try 5x2 or you could ramp up to a max, 3x3 is another option.

There's plenty of options but since you've pretty much stalled on 5's give lower reps a try for a while.

I am not an advanced gripster so I can't tell you anything about programming but I do know that the 1-3 rep range works really well for the majority of gripsters.

Edited by DevilErik
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've been doing extremely well with 1-3 reps. 

Don't get discouraged at all. It takes a while.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Its a marathon not a sprint. Took me a decade plus, to understand it and rewire my brain. With that being said. Im trying to go in blocks using percentages for a certain set/rep range for that week only then moving up in percentage and going down in sets/reps. Much like 5/3/1 or similar pyramid program. And Im focusing on a main lift say axle for the main scheme and dumping the percentages/sets/reps by 5 or 10 for 2 similar thick bar lifts. Say 2” vbar,  and 2.5” crusher. For 4-6 weeks. 

Hopefully it works lol

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You have no "base" developed yet if this is all you've been doing.  Build a base of all around forearm and wrist strength with wrist curls - reverse wrist curls - wrist curls behind the back and reverse curls.  Add in some levering to the front, back and rotational.  After a few weeks of that add in heavy "finger curls" - you wouldn't build a house without a foundation - try it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, climber511 said:

You have no "base" developed yet if this is all you've been doing.  Build a base of all around forearm and wrist strength with wrist curls - reverse wrist curls - wrist curls behind the back and reverse curls.  Add in some levering to the front, back and rotational.  After a few weeks of that add in heavy "finger curls" - you wouldn't build a house without a foundation - try it.

this. I wish i took more time with the basics... If i knew then what i know now!  

David Hornes beginners routine includes wrist curls and all the basics.. It’s a good one to try out and really I might go back to it at some point.  Maybe do that routine plus one of your other lifts one day and the other one on another day. But really take it from someone whos been doing it a long time... Climber and someone like me, who wasted a couple years being an idiot. Stick to the basics.

Edited by Blacksmith513
  • Thanks 1

Thanks all. I shall read and take on board your suggestions. I got the record in my weight class for a hold on the drainpipe a year ago, and can’t even get back to that (low) level. I shall try some of your suggestions and be patient. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...