Ok, You Guys Are Nuts.

CMunger

I had to make a bolt run yesterday while fixing my Bobcat, and while I was in the bin aisle, I thought "Hey, I'm gonna get a 60d and a 40d, jsut so I can have some perspective when the Gripboard guys are talking about bending"

:bow

First off, a couple half-assed attempts on the 40d did nothing except try to poke a hole in my hand. Perhaps a towel and a clue would help, but cripes. And the 60d? That thing flat out has to be stronger than bone. Seriously. How do you guys do it? Is it a slow progression, strengthening the bones and tendons/ligaments over years of bending training?

Man, the fun you could have with people, though. "Can I speak to the manager, I think this 60d nail is defective. See? It bends..." :laugh

C-

Steel felt that way to me as well the first time. I could not believe that humans were bending 60ds :blink Now I can melt just about any 60d I come across though some are TOUGH! Maybe you just got your hands on a tough one?? I have only been bending for about 5 months.

Study the videos of Terminator bending and of David Horne. This is the prefered style of many of us and is the style that got me into bending. It is very effective and easy to learn.

Start out slow-get some 3/16" steel rods, hot rolled and cold rolled, from the local hardware. These are real easy and will allow you to perfect your technique. Start out with 7" and work your way down to 5".

Once you are confident with this steel move to 1/4" rods, again cold rolled and hot rolled. I have found that the hot rolled is often easier-so start here. A 7" cold rolled 1/4" diamter rod is a IM yellow nail. A 6" Cold rolled is a IM blue nail. Start out the 1/4" at 7"s and bend away. Cut length when ever possible.

Once you get to about 5" of 1/4" cold rolled-you will be able to confidently bend just about any 60d, except the ones made by satan himself :devil !

After that-its time to start moving to grade 5 and 8 bolts!

Good luck and good bending-

Rick Walker :rock

Thanks for the tips. I think you've actually talked me into having a try at it, because the idea of being able to bend that 60d would be cool as hell. I've got nothing going on now, so it's off to the hardware store! :D

My first encounter with a 60D was the same. Shock, fear, disbelief. I bought 5 of them as a joke, to keep me motivated. I thought there was no way I could ever bend them with out years of training. With in a month, I bent them all.

It's all technique combined with intensity, and then with the knowledge that "you can bend it".

Another one joins the ranks! Keep us posted of your progress.

I picked up some 3/16 and some 1/4, did a 7 and 6 of the 3/16 pretty easily, but when I tried the 1/4" 7, my virgin hands were too fried to get more than about 40-45 degrees on it. I got a kick out of it, so I'll keep at it and see how it progresses. :D

That's a good start! Keep a cuttin'.

my virgin hands were too fried to get more than about 40-45 degrees on it.

That is a lot more than a kink! The sticking point is ~20 degrees. I am sure you will get it when fresh.

I had a buddy over the other day and I think I have another new convert as well. I let him bend a few 3/16, and a timber tie, but he failed at the 1/4 piece. He swears now that he's hooked and will be back.

It is so easy to get hooked into bending. What is it do yall think?

Oh, does anybody besides me switch torque hands during a bend? I started doing this the other night when Eric was over and it seems to work better for me. I'll get my first bend, switch hands, get my second bend, switch back and get my last bend down ready for the crush down. Am I a freak or does anyone else do this?

W

One good thing about it is the fact that you would work both the right and left hands and wrists equally. But you're still a freak. :yikes

That's great that you made another convert, Weldon. And he got the timber on his first try? He's off to a good start.

Oh, does anybody besides me switch torque hands during a bend?

Not sure what you mean by torque hand. I've never been able to learn the style used by most of the benders on the board. I just always bend underhand. I guess they're both the torque hand.

Iwhen I tried the 1/4" 7, my virgin hands were too fried to get more than about 40-45 degrees on it. I got a kick out of it, so I'll keep at it and see how it progresses. :D

BANGED IT! Can't say it was liek butter or anything, it took me a couple cracks at it, but I think it was under a minute.

6" DOWN! I think I like this stuff... That was a lot tougher. Prolly took me 3-5 minutes of hit, rest/refocus repeat. I'll say prolly 9 efforts?

I'm trashed. Will try again Thurs or Fri.

As I'm sitting here trying to decide if the new Battlestar Galactica sucks or not, I decided to bust out a 5.5"... Got it bent to about 1 o'clock, could feel some funky pulling going on, so discretion being the better part of valor, I'm definitely gonna wait til Thurs or so.

Thank you! I'm cautiously excited, like I'm about to find out that it was a defective batch or something :D but I can't wait for my right hand to recover so I can have another crack at the 5.5" Stopped at Home Depot to pick up some more toys and their stuff was id'd as hrs, so I'll be able to do a comparison in the next couple days here and make a guess as to what the Hardware Hank stuff was.

Edited by CMunger

5.5" down... Felt very easy, but now my thumb kind of hurts. Read Bender's page last night about trying to progress too quickly. Methinks a bucket of timber spikes will need to come and go before I whack a 5".

Nice goin!

Your thumb webbing will toughen up considerably. Mine almost never hurts now.

Eric: it's actually in the joint, which is making me think I need to slow down. I imagine that even though I'm not actually pulling directly against the joint, it's still getting enough funky torque that it's not used to. My best guess anyhow.

Eric: it's actually in the joint, which is making me think I need to slow down. I imagine that even though I'm not actually pulling directly against the joint, it's still getting enough funky torque that it's not used to. My best guess anyhow.

A little more padding around the nail might help as well.

Finally took a crack at a couple more bends tonight... Did an easy 5" 3/16 for a warm-up, then took a stab at the 60d I picked up in my original post. Kinked it. Well maybe warped would be a better description. Bent it a tiny bit. That's moderately encouraging. I'm thinking I should go back to the hardware store and buy up a few pounds of nails from that same batch just to have them around. Gonna rest for a few minutes and have a crack at the 5"x1/4", see how that goes.

Congratulations on your hard fought victory! Those are the best.