Read this if you’ve closed a #3 and up!

AdriaanRobert96

Alright so an interesting thought has struck me the other day..

Let’s say that not everyone has “in between” grippers which I believe it to be the case for a lot of people.

How would one go from a #3 to a #3.5?

Would going for volume aka reps still be a good way if the heavy closes are stalled?

A small example would be, taking your #3 from a set of 1-2 reps to a set of 10-15 reps in one set.

Would that be transferable to closing a #3.5?

Obviously there’s not a one answer fits all and no sure way to know what and how, but I’d like to know from you guys closing #3’s and up

Of course if there are any females on here, feel free to share your advice.. 

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, AdriaanRobert96 said:

Let’s say that not everyone has “in between” grippers which I believe it to be the case for a lot of people.

Would going for volume aka reps still be a good way if the heavy closes are stalled?

A small example would be, taking your #3 from a set of 1-2 reps to a set of 10-15 reps in one set.

Obviously there’s not a one answer fits all and no sure way to know what and how, but I’d like to know from you guys closing #3’s and up

I am about a deep set away from closing my no.3.5 from a TNS.

I am also a deep set away from closing my no.3 but I am still getting used to torsion spring grippers.

I would suggest doing deep set attempts with your no.3.5.

Nathan Holle who can CCS a no.4 trains this way on 2 of his 3 training days.

He does 4-6 deep set attempts with a gripper he can move after setting it to parallel then he does 4-6 parallel closes with a lighter gripper.

So if you can move it a few mm after setting it to parallel you can use it for your attempts.

Over time your attempts will turn into closes.

The other option would be negatives done the safe way.

You take your no.3.5 you set it to parallel you cheat close it with your hands hold it for 5 seconds and then you let go don't resist it just hold it for 5 and let go off the handle.

Don't forget to squeeze as hard as you can on the attempts it might feel weird at first but you will get used to it eventually.

I hope this helps.

Edited by DevilErik
  • Like 2

I borrowed a friend's 160-rated 3 and I own a 3.5 rated 165 (a light one I know).  Around when I could MMS double the 160-rated 3, I was able to get one MMS rep on the 165.  I never could do as many as 10 straight MMS reps with any 3, even an easy one, but then again, I never got up to an average 3.5 either.  If all you have is the 3 and you can get up to 10 reps, I would imagine you would be close to an average 3.5 about then.  But I like the comment above about how Nathan Holle does it - try a few reps just moving a harder gripper from parallel, and then go down to the one you can close all the way after a few fails above your max.  I never tried that.  It might be a helpful variation, and obviously works for him.

• Like 3

100% getting more reps on a 3 over time is going to put you closer to closing a 3.5 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, AdriaanRobert96 said:

1.You have the vulcan. Use it.

2.If you stall with one method of training you should always try something else.

3.Yes it will. But increasing reps on the #3, from only 2 reps to 15 reps is not easy. You need to put in the work.

4.Yes it will be "transferable" but as I said it's not as easy as you might think. Just doing reps for a while might make you stall on that aswell. That's why you should change the way you train if you stagnate.

• Like 2

Muscles grow when a load is applied to tear and recover muscle fibers.
I believe that intensive training is more important than certain methods.
If we do high-intensity training (negative, reps, etc.) through volume in any way, I think the person who reaches 3.5 will somehow go1665328295633.thumb.jpg.ffcf90e7bef998fc7da7f2e5e1f61455.jpg

Edited by Seoyoon
  • Like 1

What are your 3 and 3.5 rated at? These things do make a difference, but I understand that it is costly to buy a bunch of bridge grippers, as much as it helps

My main bridge gripper was a Standard Cobalt (163)...granted it's not like I was doing a bunch of volume on it, but I did enough attempts and finally closes to get more comfortable with what a gripper a bit heavier felt like. But if we are talking about avoiding buying more grippers.

I would focus less on reps and more on how much time you're spending at the heaviest part of the gripper. Because someone doing 1 long timed hold could get getting a lot more work and strength gains in than someone working up to tapping the handles 10 times. Or if you really are intent on doing reps, at least make the last rep a hold for much longer.

But maybe eventually get used to setting the 3.5 without ever trying to close it, because the set is hard to do for heavy grippers....also another perspective is you can choke the 3.5 to at least start working on building this end-range, so that when you do start doing real attempts at the 3.5, you have already built up some strength required for the end range. All you need is 1 hose clamp (& a vice to put it together in, & a screwdriver), and some athletic tape can help protect the knurling.

But yeah volume is not just how many reps...volume can be increased by how many seconds you have held shut a gripper at full close, which is going to be much less if you are just moving the handle back and forth for reps, you're spending more time where the gripper is lighter. If you don't have a CPW bumper to make the 3 heavier I've seen people make homemade ones, maybe you could find someone that has a good method

TL;DR: methods to make the 3 harder...methods to make the 3.5 easier until you are ready for the 3.5

Edited by C8Myotome
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Nuttgens said:

100% getting more reps on a 3 over time is going to put you closer to closing a 3.5 

Agree

• Like 2

14 hours ago, AdriaanRobert96 said:

10 to 15 reps? Assuming it is an average 3 then yeah you will close average 3.5. Try wider reps, speed closes and hydraulic closes. When the 3 feels like nothing then you easily will get the 3.5

• Like 1

Not to be negative here, but just reality for those out there setting goals. Unless you are able to close a #3 in a very short time with pretty much basic grip training, you are not likely going to be able to get to the #3.5 level.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Wannagrip said:

Not to be negative here, but just reality for those out there setting goals. Unless you are able to close a #3 in a very short time with pretty much basic grip training, you are not likely going to be able to get to the #3.5 level.

That's interesting, what would you consider a short time to close the #3?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, EmilBB said:

That's interesting, what would you consider a short time to close the #3?

A couple months tops.  Maybe even less frankly.  

It's no different with other lifts. It's called genetic potential.  You can't expect to squat 600 if 400 and likely 500 weren't obtained pretty easily and quickly.  Same with the bench press.  You likely have no shot at 400 if you struggle to achieve 300.  Disclaimer: no PEDS are in play here.  Also disclaimer reasonable techniques on these lifts. Not that you turned into a super archer and changed your bench stroke to 2 inches. LOL!

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Wannagrip said:

A couple months tops.  Maybe even less frankly.  

It's no different with other lifts. It's called genetic potential.  You can't expect to squat 600 if 400 and likely 500 weren't obtained pretty easily and quickly.  Same with the bench press.  You likely have no shot at 400 if you struggle to achieve 300.  Disclaimer: no PEDS are in play here.  Also disclaimer reasonable techniques on these lifts. Not that you turned into a super archer and changed your bench stroke to 2 inches. LOL!

For sure, genetics definitely play a huge role. Thankfully they're trying to get rid of that ridiculous arch now, atleast in the IPF as far as I know. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, EmilBB said:

For sure, genetics definitely play a huge role. Thankfully they're trying to get rid of that ridiculous arch now, atleast in the IPF as far as I know. 

I agree.

• Like 1

I closed my #3 after a month of training grip just farting around not really adhering to any kind of best practices, Achieved the #3.5 earlier this year and am putting a decent dent in my #4, While i agree that genetics definitely makes up a decent bulk of your true potential in the sport, Programming will be your bread and butter since if you're just messing around unless you're a 0.000000001% phenom, You're not gonna get to that level

Edited by Jermiah Merciconah
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Wannagrip said:

Same with the bench press.  You likely have no shot at 400 if you struggle to achieve 300

I struggle with 200 so I'm doomed lol.  I figure 225 would be a life goal, if I ever get interested.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vinnie said:

I struggle with 200 so I'm doomed lol.  I figure 225 would be a life goal, if I ever get interested.

Get on a good strength training program like Wendler 531 or Conjugate bulk up put in the work and a 225 bench will a laughable goal for you in no time.

Some coaches say that the average healthy adult male should be able to bench 225 after just a year of training.

I am not in this category so I can't say whether it is accurate or not.

The average healthy adult male should be able to reach a 300 bench a 400 squat a 500 deadlift and a 225 strict standing press in their lifetime throw in a 100 LB weighted pull up(or chin up) to account for the bodyweight and you've got yourself an awesome goal to work towards.

(These are 100% accurate).

Edited by DevilErik
  • Like 1

^This may be true for the vast majority of people..I closed a 2.5 my first day trying grippers, was almost TNS'ing a 3 because I didn't know how to set a gripper, the first day I tried the widest set possible still having no idea what I was doing I closed a 3 with a credit card, a couple months into using grippers. I've been on & off grippers for the past year (both from overtraining tendonitis/resting & training other implements) but in my last bout of grippers I closed 2 different 3.5's. Genetic potential is a real thing, however I know there are people like Jedd that couldn't close a #1 when first starting out and I think have closed a 3.5 by now (MM4 is pretty equivalent to a 3.5) - but this is more of just spending years & years going at it..I agree that to get to a 3.5 *quickly* you should also have got to a 3 *quickly*. I know adult males that struggle with below 90 RGC...

Also I really just lift for maintenence now not actively pushing powerlifting like I used to, but my best lifts were 465 squat, 530 deadlift, & 350 bench press. I am also 5'8" and on average usually weigh 190.

I also think people train at very different levels. Some push very hard, some don't. I know people who almost a decade later really haven't even upped the weight of any of their lifts at all, or the volume, or technique or anything, some people just really baby themselves in the weight room & lift very cautiously I guess. I would be suprised if some people I knew even broke a sweat during their workouts, where other people treat a lift like it's a life & death matter. Some people have the rage, others don't. Some people like working out, some don't, & won't. Some of the girls I have tried to take to the gym with me during my life time just sat in the sauna until I was done lifting. Ugh..

Edited by C8Myotome
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, C8Myotome said:

Some of the girls I have tried to take to the gym with me during my life time just sat in the sauna until I was done lifting.

I'll keep them company.  I am not a guy who is that into lifting.  I certainly don't care to break a sweat.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, DevilErik said:

Some coaches say that the average healthy adult male should be able to bench 225 after just a year of training.

Yeah, in a year I might be able to do 225 if I made that a priority (I probably won't).

1 hour ago, DevilErik said:

The average healthy adult male should be able to reach a 300 bench a 400 squat a 500 deadlift and a 225 strict standing press in their lifetime

I am 53, 5'6, 180 pounds (and that's with a pot belly) -- and I will never, ever come close to any of those goals.  200 bench, 315 deadlift, 125-ish standing press, and I can't really do squats because of flexibility and balance issues, so I don't have a number for those (would be under 200 though, I think, just because of the mechanics, probably in the 200s but under 300 just on body strength if I could do the movement).  But I am probably not "an average healthy" adult male, for various reasons including childhood cancer treatments, so I don't hold myself to those sorts of guidelines.  I'm proud enough of my forearm strength, which I only discovered in my 40s.

• Like 4

Just now, Vinnie said:

Yeah, in a year I might be able to do 225 if I made that a priority (I probably won't).

I am 53, 5'6, 180 pounds (and that's with a pot belly) -- and I will never, ever come close to any of those goals.  200 bench, 315 deadlift, 125-ish standing press, and I can't really do squats because of flexibility and balance issues, so I don't have a number for those (would be under 200 though, I think, just because of the mechanics, probably in the 200s but under 300 just on body strength if I could do the movement).  But I am probably not "an average healthy" adult male, for various reasons including childhood cancer treatments, so I don't hold myself to those sorts of guidelines.  I'm proud enough of my forearm strength, which I only discovered in my 40s.

I am sorry to hear about your childhood cancer man I am not an "average healthy adult male" either.

3 hours ago, EmilBB said:

My prediction is that the rules will become even more ambiguous for bench press. They will screw it up even more. Just do para bench for everyone, no legs. Solved.

Also, I disagree with the statement that you need to close the #3 fast in order to get to the #3.5.

It took me 2-3 years to close #3's and it took me around 1 year to go to 160+ and then around 6 months to go to above 170 from there. So it took me much less time to make much harder gains.

I know that Jedd Johnson also has mentioned that he was stuck at the same level (I think around #3-level) for like 10 years before he found a better way to train and got much higher than that (MM4).

Thing with grippers is that it can take a long time and most people simply give up because the gains come very slowly.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, C8Myotome said:

^This may be true for the vast majority of people..I closed a 2.5 my first day trying grippers, was almost TNS'ing a 3 because I didn't know how to set a gripper, the first day I tried the widest set possible still having no idea what I was doing I closed a 3 with a credit card, a couple months into using grippers. I've been on & off grippers for the past year (both from overtraining tendonitis/resting & training other implements) but in my last bout of grippers I closed 2 different 3.5's. Genetic potential is a real thing, however I know there are people like Jedd that couldn't close a #1 when first starting out and I think have closed a 3.5 by now (MM4 is pretty equivalent to a 3.5) - but this is more of just spending years & years going at it..I agree that to get to a 3.5 *quickly* you should also have got to a 3 *quickly*. I know adult males that struggle with below 90 RGC...

Also I really just lift for maintenence now not actively pushing powerlifting like I used to, but my best lifts were 465 squat, 530 deadlift, & 350 bench press. I am also 5'8" and on average usually weigh 190.

I also think people train at very different levels. Some push very hard, some don't. I know people who almost a decade later really haven't even upped the weight of any of their lifts at all, or the volume, or technique or anything, some people just really baby themselves in the weight room & lift very cautiously I guess. I would be suprised if some people I knew even broke a sweat during their workouts, where other people treat a lift like it's a life & death matter. Some people have the rage, others don't. Some people like working out, some don't, & won't. Some of the girls I have tried to take to the gym with me during my life time just sat in the sauna until I was done lifting. Ugh..

And your a better man than I for leaving them in the sauna.

im sorta in between. I push hard but not to the point I can’t walk the next day or risk injury. I need my body for work.  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Fist of Fury said:

1.You have the vulcan. Use it.

2.If you stall with one method of training you should always try something else.

3.Yes it will. But increasing reps on the #3, from only 2 reps to 15 reps is not easy. You need to put in the work.

4.Yes it will be "transferable" but as I said it's not as easy as you might think. Just doing reps for a while might make you stall on that aswell. That's why you should change the way you train if you stagnate.

Oh definitely on it already😎

Let me just say you blessed me with 2 opportunities when sending me those, and I am forever grateful🥺

I love hard work, can’t wait to bring that sucker up to 15 reps.

21 hours ago, C8Myotome said:

What are your 3 and 3.5 rated at? These things do make a difference, but I understand that it is costly to buy a bunch of bridge grippers, as much as it helps

My main bridge gripper was a Standard Cobalt (163)...granted it's not like I was doing a bunch of volume on it, but I did enough attempts and finally closes to get more comfortable with what a gripper a bit heavier felt like. But if we are talking about avoiding buying more grippers.

I would focus less on reps and more on how much time you're spending at the heaviest part of the gripper. Because someone doing 1 long timed hold could get getting a lot more work and strength gains in than someone working up to tapping the handles 10 times. Or if you really are intent on doing reps, at least make the last rep a hold for much longer.

But maybe eventually get used to setting the 3.5 without ever trying to close it, because the set is hard to do for heavy grippers....also another perspective is you can choke the 3.5 to at least start working on building this end-range, so that when you do start doing real attempts at the 3.5, you have already built up some strength required for the end range. All you need is 1 hose clamp (& a vice to put it together in, & a screwdriver), and some athletic tape can help protect the knurling.

But yeah volume is not just how many reps...volume can be increased by how many seconds you have held shut a gripper at full close, which is going to be much less if you are just moving the handle back and forth for reps, you're spending more time where the gripper is lighter. If you don't have a CPW bumper to make the 3 heavier I've seen people make homemade ones, maybe you could find someone that has a good method

TL;DR: methods to make the 3 harder...methods to make the 3.5 easier until you are ready for the 3.5

My #3 is an average and the 3.5 is an average aswell.

Oh those are all great points, especially what you said about the time at the hardest part of a gripper.

I also love the last part about making aome easier and some methods to make easier grippers harder😎

• Like 1