I spoke with the strongest CoC closer!

AdriaanRobert96

So recently I spoke to one of the strongest if not the strongest CoC closer to date and I learned this…

Out of personal reasons I won’t disclose his name.

One of the oddest things I’ve learned was that he’s training with volume way more than with very low reps.

Personally I’ve gained a lot of my strength with low reps like 1-2 and sets of maybe 4-6.

While different approaches fit different people I’ve learned that he keeps the rep ranged as high as 9 reps

He stated that low reps work for a while but then it’s better to keep the volume higher as stated before.

My mind battles itself against this and by no means am I an expert, I am very close to getting the #3.5 but still it makes no sense to me.

Higher reps for strength correlation is something I’ve felt yet it makes no sense to me, is it the bloodflow?

Let say that I can close the #3 which btw I can😎, I usually close it for reps of 1-2.

Would it make me stronger if I took the #2.5 for volume reps of 10 for a month or two and then came back to the #3, would that translate to better strength on the #3?

Let say I take the #3 from 1-2 reps to reps of 7-10, would that increase my #3.5 strength or maybe even help me close it?

What do you people feel about all this, science behind it, I personally felt stronger on the heavy closes when doing high volume like in the beginning of the week and heavy at the end of the week.

• Like 2

People are different but I believe Franco Columbo once said "I don't care what anyone thinks - if it works it works".  The only way you will ever know for sure if it's for you is to give it a try.  Good Luck!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I don't think there is a single formula that works for everyone. There's so many different ways of training. The most important thing is to use a system that works best for you.

If I would train only in one way I would not make any progress at all. For me everything works (everything that is clearly not really stupid for obvsious reasons).

High reps, few sets, high reps many sets. Low reps few sets, low reps many sets. Over crushes, speed reps, choked grippers, negatives, isometric crushes/cheat closes. Two finger closes, beyond the range. I've tried it all and it all works for me.

The question is not what type of traing works. It's how consistent I am with it and most importantly, I need to switch between all of these. If I stick to one thing for too long I stop making progress. There's many ways of switching. Can be volume, resistance and/or exercise.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, climber511 said:

People are different but I believe Franco Columbo once said "I don't care what anyone thinks - if it works it works".  The only way you will ever know for sure if it's for you is to give it a try.  Good Luck!

Awh man R.I.P good olè legend Franco❤️

Yeah I guess that makes sense, different things work for different individuals.

I’ll make sure to give it a try later on and see :D

2 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

I don't think there is a single formula that works for everyone. There's so many different ways of training. The most important thing is to use a system that works best for you.

If I would train only in one way I would not make any progress at all. For me everything works (everything that is clearly not really stupid for obvsious reasons).

High reps, few sets, high reps many sets. Low reps few sets, low reps many sets. Over crushes, speed reps, choked grippers, negatives, isometric crushes/cheat closes. Two finger closes, beyond the range. I've tried it all and it all works for me.

The question is not what type of traing works. It's how consistent I am with it and most importantly, I need to switch between all of these. If I stick to one thing for too long I stop making progress. There's many ways of switching. Can be volume, resistance and/or exercise.

Amen to that brother, very well put!

Personally for me, super low reps and high sets and sometimes changing up to medium rep ranges makes my hands feel good because of bloodflow I assume.

Forced reps and negatives only hurt me so I keep them at bay even tho they might yield benefits:/

I think we all need variation to some degree🤔

44 minutes ago, AdriaanRobert96 said:

Personally I’ve gained a lot of my strength with low reps like 1-2 and sets of maybe 4-6.

While different approaches fit different people I’ve learned that he keeps the rep ranged as high as 9 reps

9 reps doesn't seem high to me. I don't know that I would call that volume unless it was like 6-8 sets. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Cannon said:

9 reps doesn't seem high to me. I don't know that I would call that volume unless it was like 6-8 sets. 

I guess it’s medium rep range, I formulated that wrongly😂

But me coming from 1-2 reps makes it look like a lot of reps for me😉

• Like 2

something to think about

this mite be the workout to try (LOW REPS)

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, John Knowlton said:

something to think about

this mite be the workout to try (LOW REPS)

Not quite sure I understand😅

I'm always trying to get a few sets of 10 with various grippers and then go to heavier grippers and get lower reps. So after reading what you just wrote I might just two sets of three.

• Like 1

If you look around this site some more, you will find that there are two training programs developed long ago by @Wannagrip.  One is very high volume (Radical Reps Baseline Training) and one is very heavy with low volume (KTA).  Both have a proven track record of success.  One way of training will work for an individual at one stage of their training while another program may be more appropriate at a different stage of training.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, jchapman said:

If you look around this site some more, you will find that there are two training programs developed long ago by @Wannagrip.  One is very high volume (Radical Reps Baseline Training) and one is very heavy with low volume (KTA).  Both have a proven track record of success.  One way of training will work for an individual at one stage of their training while another program may be more appropriate at a different stage of training.

I love the last part where you mentioned different training methods for different points within your journey, which I definitely felt the last month.

I will for sure look into it, thank you legens😁

I think with small movements like wristcurls oder gripper closes even 10 reps or more mean not much time under tension. I would give it a try. 

• Like 1

If you are destined to be strong, you will come to this in any way, the main thing is regular training, any.

• Like 5

17 hours ago, SeNoLD said:

If you are destined to be strong, you will come to this in any way, the main thing is regular training, any.

Very true to some degree💪🏽

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Florian Kellersmann said:

I think with small movements like wristcurls oder gripper closes even 10 reps or more mean not much time under tension. I would give it a try. 

Yessir🤔

• Like 1

The big confusion with this is that because grippers are very CNS dependant, singles can make a big difference in a short time to what you can do so you think you got stronger. In reality you didn't gain any actual strength, you just gained access to more of the strength you already had. Rep work and volume is what gain strength in every exercise going.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Paul Savage said:

The big confusion with this is that because grippers are very CNS dependant, singles can make a big difference in a short time to what you can do so you think you got stronger. In reality you didn't gain any actual strength, you just gained access to more of the strength you already had. Rep work and volume is what gain strength in every exercise going.

I really love this explanation, big up lad😎✊🏼

As in all things in life the answer is "it depends" early on high reps got me far but injured often. I feel singles and negatives work far better for me. I gain strength and don't get injured. For adding muscle I just do all my normal lifts with fat grips and it has worked out well. There are also some people that will be good at grip stuff no matter what they do Ivan Cuk is an example of this.

• Like 2

On 11/19/2022 at 3:38 AM, Paul Savage said:

Never thought of it that way. Interesting thought. To what extent is this true? I mean Nathan Holle trains singles on grippers. What helped me to lift the Millennium trainer is singles or negatives on the same dumbbell but with added weight. Reps with smaller inch didn't really help me out to lift a bigger inch. Inch VS gripper is static VS dynamic. 

Do you think everyone varies or you still stick to your point? I know you are very strong and big (180kg?) But don’t you think because your overall strength is so much that reps and volume will bring what you already have out?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Alawadhi said:

Never thought of it that way. Interesting thought. To what extent is this true? I mean Nathan Holle trains singles on grippers. What helped me to lift the Millennium trainer is singles or negatives on the same dumbbell but with added weight. Reps with smaller inch didn't really help me out to lift a bigger inch. Inch VS gripper is static VS dynamic. 

Do you think everyone varies or you still stick to your point? I know you are very strong and big (180kg?) But don’t you think because your overall strength is so much that reps and volume will bring what you already have out?

I'm 140kg now and not particularly strong overall, can still no set a 3.5, do rep sets on the inch etc overall strength doesn't make too much difference for grip strength. When i say things im probably never meaning with me (unless i say with me), ill be meaning in general. Of course people are going to vary in terms of how much singles help them, but it will always be the reps, volume, time under tension etc that really builds the real strength. Singles are basically for peaking and yes, they can make a huge difference for grip, its very cns dependant and much more tendon based as opposed to powerlifting but the strength is still built with the reps and volume. Keep in mind nathan doesn't just do gripper singles, there's a bunch of other things he does that will make him better at grippers, a number of exercises will essentially build up the exact same areas. Becca has just done a 120rgc gripper for 8 tns reps with at least 2 more in her, which is more than any other female has come close to doing for a single, and i didn't have her do anything less than 20 reps on grippers. She also lifted the inch dumbbell and i didn't have her do anything less than one minute holds on thickbar or 30 second holds on pinch. Everything was high reps or a good amount of time under tenson.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Paul Savage said:

I'm 140kg now and not particularly strong overall, can still no set a 3.5, do rep sets on the inch etc overall strength doesn't make too much difference for grip strength. When i say things im probably never meaning with me (unless i say with me), ill be meaning in general. Of course people are going to vary in terms of how much singles help them, but it will always be the reps, volume, time under tension etc that really builds the real strength. Singles are basically for peaking and yes, they can make a huge difference for grip, its very cns dependant and much more tendon based as opposed to powerlifting but the strength is still built with the reps and volume. Keep in mind nathan doesn't just do gripper singles, there's a bunch of other things he does that will make him better at grippers, a number of exercises will essentially build up the exact same areas. Becca has just done a 120rgc gripper for 8 tns reps with at least 2 more in her, which is more than any other female has come close to doing for a single, and i didn't have her do anything less than 20 reps on grippers. She also lifted the inch dumbbell and i didn't have her do anything less than one minute holds on thickbar or 30 second holds on pinch. Everything was high reps or a good amount of time under tenson.

In the grand scheme of things i'm a baby to grip only been doing it for a year at this point, But i found that after a certain point i was spinning my wheels on heavy singles, I'd either go nowhere or my strength would fluctuate up and down due to the sheer demand heavy singles put on me, So switched to a volume and rep based program and its way better, I agree with treating grip in a similar vein as powerlifting, Working on submax weights for a training block and then testing

• Like 1

16 hours ago, James Rishell said:

As in all things in life the answer is "it depends" early on high reps got me far but injured often. I feel singles and negatives work far better for me. I gain strength and don't get injured. For adding muscle I just do all my normal lifts with fat grips and it has worked out well. There are also some people that will be good at grip stuff no matter what they do Ivan Cuk is an example of this.

Very well said, it all depends in the person and I also believe as someone else said on this post.. that after a certain time, what has worked will stop working so one might have to change approach😊

• Like 2