What is considered a good grip strength base?

AdriaanRobert96

So basically, what lifts and how much if there are weight classes etc?

I am 6 foot 250lbs..

So what I mean, grip strength bases in rolling thunder, pinch, crush or whatever..

If there are any “base” strength to be build, what numbers would be decent?

Where are you now?  Office worker or construction worker who doesn't lift - or a serious strength athlete who lays block and is just new to grip sport?  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, climber511 said:

Where are you now?  Office worker or construction worker who doesn't lift - or a serious strength athlete who lays block and is just new to grip sport?  

So I’ve been into Muay Thai, Boxing, 60, 100 and 400m, and gym on and off from 13-16..

From 16-26 (current time) I’ve done serious strength work/ fitness.

Grip strength I’ve only done on and off for a year or so but got serious about it the last 3 months maybe.

I am 1cm off of closing the Captains of Crush #3.5, I can No Set and CCS a hard #3.

My rolling thunder is at 100kg on the spot and my pinch grip is very mediocre for some reason☹️

Before my current job I was into IT (Web Designer/ Developer), shortly I was a Full-Stack Developer but that literally drained me.

Always being an active person makes it hard to sit at the PC for 8+ hrs a day..

My work now is pretty much like area administrator (which is basically like a janitor I think) which takes care of a whole part of the area we live in.

Plants, grass, the apartments/ houses, electricity and even landscaping and small renovations.

That’s my background and work very briefly..

25 minutes ago, AdriaanRobert96 said:

So I’ve been into Muay Thai, Boxing, 60, 100 and 400m, and gym on and off from 13-16..

From 16-26 (current time) I’ve done serious strength work/ fitness.

Grip strength I’ve only done on and off for a year or so but got serious about it the last 3 months maybe.

I am 1cm off of closing the Captains of Crush #3.5, I can No Set and CCS a hard #3.

My rolling thunder is at 100kg on the spot and my pinch grip is very mediocre for some reason☹️

Before my current job I was into IT (Web Designer/ Developer), shortly I was a Full-Stack Developer but that literally drained me.

Always being an active person makes it hard to sit at the PC for 8+ hrs a day..

My work now is pretty much like area administrator (which is basically like a janitor I think) which takes care of a whole part of the area we live in.

Plants, grass, the apartments/ houses, electricity and even landscaping and small renovations.

That’s my background and work very briefly..

Well - It doesn't really look like many of us are qualified to offer much advice to you with your gripper strength - strong work!  As far as what I personally might offer I suggest maybe visiting the Grip Well and read my write up there - I have made a study of the Euro pinch.  I think for a guy your size a 200# Euro Pinch - a 380# or greater IM Axle - 50# York Blob - 2-45# plate pinch etc. should all be possible for you - greater if you have bigish hands.  In other words someone with your base strength should shoot for most if not all the major Grip Feats of Strength.  I would still advise the workout I put forth with the wrist curls - reverse WC - WC behind the back - and reverse curls plus levering - in my mind this is what many (most) lack.  When you wrist curl 200# - lot's of other grip items just seem to happen.

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, climber511 said:

Well - It doesn't really look like many of us are qualified to offer much advice to you with your gripper strength - strong work!  As far as what I personally might offer I suggest maybe visiting the Grip Well and read my write up there - I have made a study of the Euro pinch.  I think for a guy your size a 200# Euro Pinch - a 380# or greater IM Axle - 50# York Blob - 2-45# plate pinch etc. should all be possible for you - greater if you have bigish hands.  In other words someone with your base strength should shoot for most if not all the major Grip Feats of Strength.  I would still advise the workout I put forth with the wrist curls - reverse WC - WC behind the back - and reverse curls plus levering - in my mind this is what many (most) lack.  When you wrist curl 200# - lot's of other grip items just seem to happen.

Thank you very much, I will definitely read up on that pretty much right now😄!

I’ll also make sure to save that workout aswell because it sounds like fun💪🏽

The 225# wrist curl is already achieved, not sure how many reps you’d suggest but I think I did 2-4 which is basically nothing.

Rolled it down the fingers and all the way up.

hey that's an advanced level. hangboard like in your other thread is a pretty practical strength, so I'd stick to that for a while. I have read 10 minutes with a 6 hours break every day is best for tendon/ ligament strength, according to a youtube video that cites a study and implemented by a climber to great effect:

So for whatever tendons/ ligaments you're trying to train, go for 10 minutes twice a day I guess.

Hangboard trains finger flexors, so train extensors for 10 mintues twice a day as well. Bands will work probably. For hand ligaments, grippers and bending is probably best but putting a lot of force through a flat palm is also useful so if you can do a bit of back lifting or simply palm strike a surface that should be worth your time.
I don't think the items need to actually bend so use a thick piece of steel; I've always heard of the tendon/ligament strengthening that comes from those "overcoming isometrics" where stuff doesn't move though one puts in max or high effort.
Twist of the wrist, sides, underside and topside. Static bending can take care of the sides, twists, and the curl/ extend if you want. 10 minutes each twice a day for max benefit.

Fingers can twist and that will hit them differently than the linear flex & extend, so isometrics for 10 minutes twice a day going through each finger using your thumb or something to add some 'crank' torque to each finger both directions would be good.
Gripedo and other globe twists achieve a degree of finger torque but not nearly as much as individually cranking each finger.

Third person to try this method:

Edited by Dylan
added
  • Thanks 1

On 11/11/2022 at 5:44 PM, AdriaanRobert96 said:

If there are any “base” strength to be build, what numbers would be decent?

Some time ago Jedd Johnson published a short basic informative video about it, I think that is related to what you asked: 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, josé adalton said:

Some time ago Jedd Johnson published a short basic informative video about it, I think that is related to what you asked: 

Thank you pal!

Divin right in!

10 hours ago, Dylan said:

hey that's an advanced level. hangboard like in your other thread is a pretty practical strength, so I'd stick to that for a while. I have read 10 minutes with a 6 hours break every day is best for tendon/ ligament strength, according to a youtube video that cites a study and implemented by a climber to great effect:

So for whatever tendons/ ligaments you're trying to train, go for 10 minutes twice a day I guess.

Hangboard trains finger flexors, so train extensors for 10 mintues twice a day as well. Bands will work probably. For hand ligaments, grippers and bending is probably best but putting a lot of force through a flat palm is also useful so if you can do a bit of back lifting or simply palm strike a surface that should be worth your time.
I don't think the items need to actually bend so use a thick piece of steel; I've always heard of the tendon/ligament strengthening that comes from those "overcoming isometrics" where stuff doesn't move though one puts in max or high effort.
Twist of the wrist, sides, underside and topside. Static bending can take care of the sides, twists, and the curl/ extend if you want. 10 minutes each twice a day for max benefit.

Fingers can twist and that will hit them differently than the linear flex & extend, so isometrics for 10 minutes twice a day going through each finger using your thumb or something to add some 'crank' torque to each finger both directions would be good.
Gripedo and other globe twists achieve a degree of finger torque but not nearly as much as individually cranking each finger.

Third person to try this method:

Oh wow very in-depth, I like it very much!

Thank you, I will definitely have all this in mind going forward..

My end goal is to close a CoC #4 but of course even build optimal hand strength or as I like to call it “godly grip strength”🤌🏼

11 minutes ago, AdriaanRobert96 said:

My end goal is to close a CoC #4 but of course even build optimal hand strength or as I like to call it “godly grip strength”🤌🏼

Seriously if you want to close the 4… train to close the 4. Anything else will just detract. Except for accessory exercises….

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Seriously if you want to close the 4… train to close the 4. Anything else will just detract. Except for accessory exercises….

Planning to do so, but I have to keep going after the #4😉

• Like 1

I think the NAGS qualifications are a good start personally. To me its hard to quantify what you are asking because grip seems to vary. Like climbers and people who turn wrenches for like 12 years for example seem to do well. You seem to be one of those that can walk up to a inch and lift first try. Respectfully. I hate you :)

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, AdriaanRobert96 said:

I should add that a heavy squat session and heavy deadlift session once a week (separate days) would probably help push progress, given what is known about strength training; anything requiring a lot of strength tends to build strength in 'unrelated' areas all over and helps build some work capacity.

@Blacksmith513 Isn't too far off on his point though; if that's your goal then other grip stuff can easily interfere in building more specific strength. Light and basically 'therapeutic' work using other grip training probably beneficial though, maybe 15% of max with more work done on stuff like extensors since they interfere less.

A bodyweight pull up and press day probably good though as well, along with DLift and Squat. P-dips seem to be one of the best, especially when you pull your shoulders forward and down to get a stretch and squeeze your upper back. It might not have as big of an overall effect as Deadlift & Squat but they're pretty big movements focusing on the upper body and should have good effect.

In this video a Youtuber was told how to do P-Dips by gymnast coach: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSmTmY0Odwk

I noticed in the video he says his upper back was really being worked when going that low and forward in P-dips (halfway through video), which I've noticed myself; and I think that suggests rotator cuff and rear shoulder complex development along with front shoulder stretch you wouldn't get as much with less range of motion. So long-run I think it's best; higher range to build athleticism and injury prevention using movement or load regressions where necessary has been a longstanding theme of training for athletics that I've noticed, and has been used to great effect.   Check out the Mark Bell & Ben Patrick collab for an example.

If you have shoulder issues I'd do 'dislocates' starting with broom, for 20 minutes once a week, per USA olympic gymnastics coach recommendation Sommers; + dead hang from a pull up bar probably 3x a week till failure 3 sets up to 8 or something per Sommers recommendation:

https://youtu.be/2lNZRhFJIfc

Edited by Dylan
added and edited
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, BottledCitrus said:

I think the NAGS qualifications are a good start personally. To me its hard to quantify what you are asking because grip seems to vary. Like climbers and people who turn wrenches for like 12 years for example seem to do well. You seem to be one of those that can walk up to a inch and lift first try. Respectfully. I hate you :)

Awh man😂I am flattered thank you, I am only 6 foot but my hands are unusually large.

My little brothers are both 6 foot 5 and I gor the same hand size as em.

I guess that might help somewhat.

1 hour ago, Dylan said:

I should add that a heavy squat session and heavy deadlift session once a week (separate days) would probably help push progress, given what is known about strength training; anything requiring a lot of strength tends to build strength in 'unrelated' areas all over and helps build some work capacity.

@Blacksmith513 Isn't too far off on his point though; if that's your goal then other grip stuff can easily interfere in building more specific strength. Light and basically 'therapeutic' work using other grip training probably beneficial though, maybe 15% of max with more work done on stuff like extensors since they interfere less.

A bodyweight pull up and press day probably good though as well, along with DLift and Squat. P-dips seem to be one of the best, especially when you pull your shoulders forward and down to get a stretch and squeeze your upper back. It might not have as big of an overall effect as Deadlift & Squat but they're pretty big movements focusing on the upper body and should have good effect.

In this video a Youtuber was told how to do P-Dips by gymnast coach: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSmTmY0Odwk

I noticed in the video he says his upper back was really being worked when going that low and forward in P-dips (halfway through video), which I've noticed myself; and I think that suggests rotator cuff and rear shoulder complex development along with front shoulder stretch you wouldn't get as much with less range of motion. So long-run I think it's best; higher range to build athleticism and injury prevention using movement or load regressions where necessary has been a longstanding theme of training for athletics that I've noticed, and has been used to great effect.   Check out the Mark Bell & Ben Patrick collab for an example.

If you have shoulder issues I'd do 'dislocates' starting with broom, for 20 minutes once a week, per USA olympic gymnastics coach recommendation Sommers; + dead hang from a pull up bar probably 3x a week till failure 3 sets up to 8 or something per Sommers recommendation:

https://youtu.be/2lNZRhFJIfc

Wow what a great read, thank you!

How funny tho since I am in a calisthenics phase at the moment and actually do p bar dips aswell as pull ups of all sorts😂

Altho I’ll have to add in dislocates, sommers and deadhangs aswell since I don’t do them anymore.

I’ll have to look up sommers tho since I can’t put my finger on it, thanks for the link and the time you put into this answer.

I really appreciate it🤌🏼

Edit: juste realized from the vid that Sommers is a person 😳

Edited by AdriaanRobert96
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, AdriaanRobert96 said:

Wow what a great read, thank you!

How funny tho since I am in a calisthenics phase at the moment and actually do p bar dips aswell as pull ups of all sorts😂

Altho I’ll have to add in dislocates, sommers and deadhangs aswell since I don’t do them anymore.

I’ll have to look up sommers tho since I can’t put my finger on it, thanks for the link and the time you put into this answer.

I really appreciate it🤌🏼

Edit: juste realized from the vid that Sommers is a person 😳

Yeah no problem. They always feel pretty good on the shoulders personally, but I do a lot of stretching and when things hurt I tend to back off and stretch a lot (not that I train much).

I had the feeling you'd be into dips and pull ups with your background lol athletic types tend to like them I think.

Well my grammar wasn't very clear to be honest. I listened to him on a couple podcasts after looking at pass throughs/ shoulder dislocates for prehab and undervalued niche exercises that are good foundation.

I got a lot out of this: https://www.allthingsgym.com/shoulder-dislocates-for-shoulder-mobility/

Lot of talk about regressions and prep. I think the principles translates into grip quite a bit since the focus is on connective tissue. The exact methods probably involve a lot of twisting and stretchy moves, extensor work, finger push ups, and claw finger push ups (on nail). Up to interpretation I guess.

Edited by Dylan
added last line; added second paragraph; added more to last line
  • Haha 1

Reasonable base with little training 

2x35s

300 axle do 

Decent 

2x45s

Inch

Blob

Elite

2x55s 

Millennium or equivalent 

Blobzilla

Closing a no.4 is world class not elite.

Closing a no.3 pinching 2 45's and lifting the inch are elite lifts.

Closing a no.4 pinching 2 old schools yorks and lifting the millennium dumbbell are all world class feats.

Edited by DevilErik
  • Like 2