Thick Bar Variation

BottledCitrus

Just looking for some opinions here on some thickbar training id like to implement. I have a axle and a 2.5" crusher but nothing else. I was debating on adding either 3" raptor or putting together AASS 1h set because he has more handle variations I can pop in to spice things up then CC does. But my question is, is it even worth it for someone not entirely looking to compete but might later on down the road? I read on here that training on different handles is a good thing so I thought I would do it. 

Which would you go with? Raptor or go with the more modular 1h nightmare? should I get a little of both? say the 3" raptor and fill in with some AASS?

• Like 1

I have a 3 inch bar I use for benching, the bar is 100 lbs.

and it gives one hell of a workout 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, BottledCitrus said:

Just looking for some opinions here on some thickbar training id like to implement. I have a axle and a 2.5" crusher but nothing else. I was debating on adding either 3" raptor or putting together AASS 1h set because he has more handle variations I can pop in to spice things up then CC does. But my question is, is it even worth it for someone not entirely looking to compete but might later on down the road? I read on here that training on different handles is a good thing so I thought I would do it. 

Which would you go with? Raptor or go with the more modular 1h nightmare? should I get a little of both? say the 3" raptor and fill in with some AASS?

I only have the regular Nightmare, but Im sure the 1 handed one is just as good or half as good depending on how you look at it. 

I also don't care about competing.. I plan too, but more for the social aspect and getting to be around other people in the sport and learning from them. Yes training on different handles is good.. There isn't always a direct carry over.

• Thanks 1

I think you can't go wrong with Fat Gripz Blue and Fat Gripz Extreme on Oly Bar, DB handle, etc.- so many ways to train thick bar and easy to travel. Also, Arm Assassin or Original Wrist Wrench is tremendous. Very good value on all of above.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Kluv#0 said:

I think you can't go wrong with Fat Gripz Blue and Fat Gripz Extreme on Oly Bar, DB handle, etc.- so many ways to train thick bar and easy to travel. Also, Arm Assassin or Original Wrist Wrench is tremendous. Very good value on all of above.

Adam Glass raves about the WW, so Ill definitely pick one of those up.

• Like 1

Different handles and variety is always good, it's important to build strength with different shapes of your hand in general. Another varience that is often overlooked is doing different lifts, don't just do deadlift style movements with thick handles, you can use them for most lifts and rotate them into everything you would be doing anyways, this is also good for starting to build wrist stability. Curls, rows, pressing, rotational movements are all made better by using thick implements. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BottledCitrus said:

Adam Glass raves about the WW, so Ill definitely pick one of those up.

I’ve only played with my WW(that a generous member gifted me)… it’s very intense. Great for wrist strength.

Edited by Blacksmith513
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

I’ve only played with my WW(that a generous member gifted me)… it’s very intense. Great for wrist strength.

Ive read its a great tool to have. I cant wait to add it to my arsenal 

I have both the 1H & 2H from Arm Assassins with the 2×5, 3x4 pinch blocks and 2" & 2 3/8" rolling handles.  Ton of variety...  and other sizes.

I'd definitely go that way vs. just one 3" raptor

• Thanks 1