Found a way to train the last 2 fingers (maybe)

AdriaanRobert96

So here I am again with my theories . .

As we all know, the importance of the last 2 fingers is tremendous in closing the last bit of any gripper.

So before I’ll drop my theory I’d love your take on this subject, no wrong answers!

I know, I know . . training individual fingers might be dangerous of done wrong and I’d appreciate if we’d keep the typical “just work harder grippers” answers at bay.

I want to see who thinks outside the box, in regards to creativity for training the last 2 fingers.

Unorthodox methods, anything that you think might help since the last 2 still got muscles that attach to them therefore it has to be a way of strengthening them.

I have come up with something special myself, not saying I invented it but it’s very reliable for sure and I’ll give it a full training cycle of test (me being the test subject) and I’ll definitely let you know if it’s working or not and bias is not in the equation since I work on the #3.5 which btw is very close!

Super excited to see what you bring to the table in terms of experience and knowledge, please blow this post up and share it so we can all grow from this❤️🙌🏻

Edited by AdriaanRobert96
typo
  • Like 1

Ulnar deviation and double underhand bending was making my ring and pinky stronger than anything else. Hit my best closes with grippers right after doing those exercises. When doing it I could clearly feel that the gained strength in those fingers was the reason for my PB's as well. In a way I never felt in anything else actually.

Thick bar and block weight lifting could be good. The problem for me with those lifts was always recovery. It fatigued me too much. Even doing light weight, low volume was difficult.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

Ulnar deviation and double underhand bending was making my ring and pinky stronger than anything else. Hit my best closes with grippers right after doing those exercises. When doing it I could clearly feel that the gained strength in those fingers was the reason for my PB's as well. In a way I never felt in anything else actually.

Thick bar and block weight lifting could be good. The problem for me with those lifts was always recovery. It fatigued me too much. Even doing light weight, low volume was difficult.

Oh wow, now this is thinking outside the box😦

Appreciate your feedback pal, I’ll definitely give those things a try!

Ulnar Deviation is something I’ve felt hit them last fingers very well but bending is something I’ve never tried🥶

57 minutes ago, AdriaanRobert96 said:

Oh wow, now this is thinking outside the box😦

Appreciate your feedback pal, I’ll definitely give those things a try!

Ulnar Deviation is something I’ve felt hit them last fingers very well but bending is something I’ve never tried🥶

You should stay away from bending if you want to progress with grippers. Don't do them at the same time. Steel bending is extremely taxing and it will, with 99% certainty make your gripper strength go down.

In my case with double underhand bending. I really suck at it so I was only bending easier bars. If I would be good at it I am sure it would have affected my gripper strength in a negative way.

I think ulnar deviation. Especially if you open up your hand a bit and let the ring and pinky do some extra work is a very good way of training those fingers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think lifting bricks or using the ironmind stacker, with fingers and thumb on the side, not thumb on top works the little fingers really good. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

John McCarter used to do R&P DB DL and that has worked pretty well for me along with grip machine weak finger work. Iam not a great gripper guy but I can close any #3 from a 20MM set at almost 56 years of age. I do think ulnar strength helps and sledge and grippers go very well together.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Ivan Cuk said:

Oh wow this was something else Ivan, thanks alot I’ll definitely give this a try aswell👍🏼

Much much appreciated!

2 hours ago, Kluv#0 said:

John McCarter used to do R&P DB DL and that has worked pretty well for me along with grip machine weak finger work. Iam not a great gripper guy but I can close any #3 from a 20MM set at almost 56 years of age. I do think ulnar strength helps and sledge and grippers go very well together.

That’s very impressive, If I got that strength at you’re age then I’ve done something right😅

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

I think lifting bricks or using the ironmind stacker, with fingers and thumb on the side, not thumb on top works the little fingers really good. 

Yeah I’ve heard this one should hit em last 2 fingers very nicely, altho I need to get one since I don’t have it yet.

Appreciate the feedback as always😎

• Like 1

Just now, AdriaanRobert96 said:

That’s very impressive, If I got that strength at you’re age then I’ve done something right😅

You are Freakin strong (much stronger than I ever was) right now so you will easily have plenty of horsepower at my age!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Kluv#0 said:

You are Freakin strong (much stronger than I ever was) right now so you will easily have plenty of horsepower at my age!

Amen to that, I thank you humbly🙏🏼

• Like 1

I found a device, basically a plate loaded crush grip machine, that had individual slots for each finger. It was made this way so that all fingers could be trained or an individual fingers could be isolated. Very interesting concept, but I never bought it, I don't remember the name of the device, or the company that produced it. I don't have the time or inclination to search for it as I have an exam coming up. Please repost if you are interested, look for it, and/or find it.

• Like 1

Something to try (thanks)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, hellswindstaff said:

I found a device, basically a plate loaded crush grip machine, that had individual slots for each finger. It was made this way so that all fingers could be trained or an individual fingers could be isolated. Very interesting concept, but I never bought it, I don't remember the name of the device, or the company that produced it. I don't have the time or inclination to search for it as I have an exam coming up. Please repost if you are interested, look for it, and/or find it.

Owh alright, interesting for sure!

I’ll try and see if I find anything on it at all and let ya’ll know👍🏼

On 10/26/2022 at 9:29 AM, AdriaanRobert96 said:

So before I’ll drop my theory I’d love your take on this subject, no wrong answers!

So what is your theory?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Cannon said:

So what is your theory?

Alright so I believe that Ulnar Deviation with a slightly thinner handle will strengthen your ring and pinky finger but..

I also believe that some sort of gripper closing like Ivan Cuk displayed with that video is key.

My original idea was somewhat along the lines of that video but instead of a regular gripper I do use the filed down Vulcan with a GOLD Spring or any spring for that matter.

And you might ask why Vulcan Gripper?

Well because with the Vulcan or any other gripper that allows incremental progressions you will make sure you know in which direction your strength goes or if it moves at all, which in turn will tell you if you’re going to close that goal gripper.

Basically, I refuse to believe that for example if you went from lvl 10 with the ring and pinky on the Vulcan to lvl 15 that you won’t be a step closer to closing your goal gripper!

What if I don’t have a Vulcan?

Well if you don’t have a Vulcan you can simply progress your way through Heavy Ulnar Deviation and or use the way shown in the video by Ivan Cuk.

• Like 1

On 10/26/2022 at 1:18 PM, Kluv#0 said:

Timed holds, singles, etc. I trained the movement anyway I could, but always as an assistant exercise. 50lbs is a great weight to build up. If a person can work up to 100lbs, they'll have no problem closing hand grippers.

It’s adorable you believe you came up with this as all you really are doing is remembering what has already been done 

C158738D-A713-4628-89F3-6356732C8105.jpeg

A3B94294-B917-4979-AC4B-08D59C938ECA.jpeg

• Haha 1

And as an edit I had this built in 2011 and Jedd Johnson had already showed the power of filled gripper closes 5+ years earlier and posted often here and on dieselcrew - I’m thinking files gripper closes for ring and pinkie was also touched on in John Brookfields books? 

On 10/28/2022 at 1:33 PM, Cannon said:

For “ulnar deviation” you guys just mean rear levering, right?

It can be done in different ways, doesn't have to be behind your back. When doing face levers you will also do ulnar deviation.

• Like 1