Have you ever had pain in this spot?

AdriaanRobert96

Sup fam, lads and lasses ❤️ 

So very simple as the title implies, I’ll post a photo down below but before I do I just want to explain..

I currently squeeze grippers on right hand only since anything above #2 on the left hurts me in this spot.

I’ve had it before, it took around 6 months to go away and now the second time around I’ve kept a close eye on why it might be hurting.

My theory is that it hurts from grippers because of the slight downwards pressure while squeezing the gripper.

One doesn’t sqeeze the gripper with fingers perfectly straight and aligned.

Only thing that’s been alleviating the pain which btw I don’t have unless I squeeze heavy gripper besides rest is WRIST FLEXED GRIPPER CLOSES and RUBBER BAND SIDE TO SIDE MOVEMENTS with that individual finger.

Before you say “go to a doctor” I just wanted to see if someone can relate at all, thank you dearly for all answers😁

PHOTO:

45A2364E-B5B9-4D66-8A71-F7EB896FA917.jpeg

• Like 1

Yes I had pain there for almost a year when I first started with gripper training. I think knuckle pain is a very common problem you can get from gripper training. I'm sure many people have experienced this.

And you don't need to see a doctor. Not at this point but as it is with everything. If you don't listen to your body. The risk for a more severe injury increases.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think I have.. Between work and working out i've had my fair share of injuries, especially to the hands, I can't remember them all.

Stuff to the hands and wrists seem to take forever to heal. 

I'm only speculating based off my experiences Its probably one of those things you don't need to go to the doctor for.. But like Fist of Fury says, listen to your body or it will become something. Its telling you something.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

Yes I had pain there for almost a year when I first started with gripper training. I think knuckle pain is a very common problem you can get from gripper training. I'm sure many people have experienced this.

And you don't need to see a doctor. Not at this point but as it is with everything. If you don't listen to your body. The risk for a more severe injury increases.

Yeah I guess it makes sense, time heals so to speak.. I mean it healed it last time and that’s why I try to not use grippers with the left aswell😔

7 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

I think I have.. Between work and working out i've had my fair share of injuries, especially to the hands, I can't remember them all.

Stuff to the hands and wrists seem to take forever to heal. 

I'm only speculating based off my experiences Its probably one of those things you don't need to go to the doctor for.. But like Fist of Fury says, listen to your body or it will become something. Its telling you something.

Sadly yeah, seems to take forever but I guess if we in it for the long run we need to listen to our bodies🙌🏻

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AdriaanRobert96 said:

Sadly yeah, seems to take forever but I guess if we in it for the long run we need to listen to our bodies🙌🏻

yup and really  thats one of those things I  finally learned about 3 years back.

i'm guessing you where born in 96.... i was born in 93.. Its your time to learn it.🤣

• Haha 1

It will take longer if you train too hard. That's the mistake I did when I first got this problem. When I started in 2014 with grippers I worked myself up to 15 reps with the #2 (from only being able to close the trainer when I started) and that's when it happend. I started to get severe pain in my knuckle, exactly in the same place as you.

It was so severe that I couldn't even do simple stuff like shifting gear when driving without feeling pain. I also tried to train with too much resistance. So it took around 8-10 months before I got rid of it. The first 3-4 months I couldn't train at all and after I realized that the pain slowly subsided. I think it probably took 12 months before I couldn't feel any pain at all anymore.

Later, like 1-2 years later I got the same problem in my left hand. By then I knew better so I trained properly, with very light resistance and took long rest periods. I got rid of that much quicker. In around 2 months the problem was gone.

• Thanks 1

Its quite possibly one of the most common little tweaks you can get when training with grippers, If i leave the grippers alone for an appreciable amount of time and then come back to them i get it, The knuckle joints are extremely unstable joints and pain is easy to get in those spots, I find it sorta just goes away on its own unless you reaggravate it

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

yup and really  thats one of those things I  finally learned about 3 years back.

i'm guessing you where born in 96.... i was born in 93.. Its your time to learn it.🤣

Truth, I am a child👶 😂

3 hours ago, Fist of Fury said:

It will take longer if you train too hard. That's the mistake I did when I first got this problem. When I started in 2014 with grippers I worked myself up to 15 reps with the #2 (from only being able to close the trainer when I started) and that's when it happend. I started to get severe pain in my knuckle, exactly in the same place as you.

It was so severe that I couldn't even do simple stuff like shifting gear when driving without feeling pain. I also tried to train with too much resistance. So it took around 8-10 months before I got rid of it. The first 3-4 months I couldn't train at all and after I realized that the pain slowly subsided. I think it probably took 12 months before I couldn't feel any pain at all anymore.

Later, like 1-2 years later I got the same problem in my left hand. By then I knew better so I trained properly, with very light resistance and took long rest periods. I got rid of that much quicker. In around 2 months the problem was gone.

If there only was a magic exercise to make them knuckle joints more sturdy😭😂

Sounds very familiar, Imma let it continue to rest besided some armwrestling stuff😅

1 hour ago, Jermiah Merciconah said:

Its quite possibly one of the most common little tweaks you can get when training with grippers, If i leave the grippers alone for an appreciable amount of time and then come back to them i get it, The knuckle joints are extremely unstable joints and pain is easy to get in those spots, I find it sorta just goes away on its own unless you reaggravate it

Interesting, glad to find out I am not weird then😅

Rest it is, I mostly do armwrestling work on the left hand just to let it rest from grippers.

5 minutes ago, AdriaanRobert96 said:

Truth, I am a child👶 😂

If it makes you feel better, now that my nephews are 6 and 7. I’ve learned that my mind stopped developing at that age.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've had the same issue in my right hand, twice I think. First time I had it for a long time. I think doing a bit of rubber bands and many reps with an extremely light gripper every now and then helped.

• Like 1

I've only been training grippers for 5 months, so take my advice with a grain of salt. However I had severe knuckle pain in the beginning of my gripper training, I was doing way too many reps & sets (up to 5x5, 2 times a week). Now I'm doing 8-12 deep set singles tuesday and 8-12 CCS singles thursday/friday and the knuckle pain is completely gone.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Anemptybox said:

I've had the same issue in my right hand, twice I think. First time I had it for a long time. I think doing a bit of rubber bands and many reps with an extremely light gripper every now and then helped.

Yeah that sounds like my first time hurting my knuckle, bands and high rep gripper helped me aswell🙌🏻

44 minutes ago, EmilBB said:

I've only been training grippers for 5 months, so take my advice with a grain of salt. However I had severe knuckle pain in the beginning of my gripper training, I was doing way too many reps & sets (up to 5x5, 2 times a week). Now I'm doing 8-12 deep set singles tuesday and 8-12 CCS singles thursday/friday and the knuckle pain is completely gone.

I think it’s a matter of overworking the tendons maybe..

First time I had that I did 5 sets of 15 with the #2 and that ended up in knuckle pain.

Had a period where it went away and I tried going at it too fast with #2.5 and now again I got it.

I personally only do singles aswell, but Imma let the left hand rest for now 😕

Might be a vessel.
I got a feeling like a sharp bruise pain on the ring finger knuckle off to the side from knuckle conditioning (punching my fists together) and think it was a vessel. Started from the beginning of knuckle conditioning back in high school, and comes up when doing knuckle conditioning again. I don't feel it really when not touching it but very sore when I do.

Recently went pretty hard on knuckle conditioning, it became sharper, still around months later of not doing much and doing lighter work including just massaging the area ( a form of light work ) helped to decrease the pain , but overall I'm not worried about it and it will probably come back again and I'll have to just deal with blood vessel pain when training, hopefully I'll learn more from it and tune my senses.

So yeah it depends on the sensation, but gripper work puts a lot of pressure in the hand and that's bound to hurt blood vessels. Part of training. Maybe use a Trainer? Sport? Isometrics? Just rep it out, do hand yoga, and massage the area.

Edited by Dylan
  • Thanks 1

I had that when I did KTA a long time ago. It lasted weeks…over crushing/holds caused it for me ….that’s the only exercises I never really do and it’s never came back since stopping those. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I had it few times. Last time perhaps 2013. I then stopped gripper work and just pinch and other grip exercise. It never came. And yes, it was taking anywhere from 2 to 6 month to heal. Do contrast bath. The cold water must be very cold with ice. Take some anti inflammation too and it will go. If you are married let your wife massage it or else let someone else do it. I also recommend dry needling and stretching. After you are healed, don't do much gripper with that hand. Once every two or three weeks and singles or lighter reps. I hope this helps as I was suffering this on my right hand (yes I was doing cement breaking when young and affected me negatively because I went too hard too soon) and this was way too useful. Again, as what others said, listen to your body.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/21/2022 at 4:11 AM, Dylan said:

Might be a vessel.
I got a feeling like a sharp bruise pain on the ring finger knuckle off to the side from knuckle conditioning (punching my fists together) and think it was a vessel. Started from the beginning of knuckle conditioning back in high school, and comes up when doing knuckle conditioning again. I don't feel it really when not touching it but very sore when I do.

Recently went pretty hard on knuckle conditioning, it became sharper, still around months later of not doing much and doing lighter work including just massaging the area ( a form of light work ) helped to decrease the pain , but overall I'm not worried about it and it will probably come back again and I'll have to just deal with blood vessel pain when training, hopefully I'll learn more from it and tune my senses.

So yeah it depends on the sensation, but gripper work puts a lot of pressure in the hand and that's bound to hurt blood vessels. Part of training. Maybe use a Trainer? Sport? Isometrics? Just rep it out, do hand yoga, and massage the area.

Very helpful, thanks a lot pal!

I will definitely look further into it, not sure what it is because it doesn’t hurt on touch but only when squeezing a heavy gripper of #2 and up.

Last time I ”treated” it with super high band extensions like 50-100 reps x 5 sets with the RED Ironmind bands.

And very high reps with the Agility (only light gripper I got).

On 10/21/2022 at 4:15 AM, slazbob said:

I had that when I did KTA a long time ago. It lasted weeks…over crushing/holds caused it for me ….that’s the only exercises I never really do and it’s never came back since stopping those. 

Hmm yeah, it’s very hard to pinpoint it tbh..

But first time I’ve got it was also because of holds, this time I have no idea😪

19 hours ago, Alawadhi said:

I had it few times. Last time perhaps 2013. I then stopped gripper work and just pinch and other grip exercise. It never came. And yes, it was taking anywhere from 2 to 6 month to heal. Do contrast bath. The cold water must be very cold with ice. Take some anti inflammation too and it will go. If you are married let your wife massage it or else let someone else do it. I also recommend dry needling and stretching. After you are healed, don't do much gripper with that hand. Once every two or three weeks and singles or lighter reps. I hope this helps as I was suffering this on my right hand (yes I was doing cement breaking when young and affected me negatively because I went too hard too soon) and this was way too useful. Again, as what others said, listen to your body.

Very grateful for these tips, I will without a doubt get to it immediately 😊

I’ll do the contrast bath and high reps since that helped me last time.

50-100 x 5 with the RED Ironmind bands and High Reps with the Agility😏

• Like 1