AGP 4

jasonotto

Well AGP 4 was a success.  Lots of strong fellas, lots of big performances, and a whole lot of laughs!

In the early planning stages of this event I wanted to make sure we had something unique.  Last year was sparse since Covid slowed things down and I just knew we would have a bigger group this year.  I reached out to a friend of mine to see if his dad wouldn't mind wood burning awards for each event.  He agrees and they turned out great.  We will be enlisting his help in the future.  I also reached out to strongman artist Alvaro Rocha.  He graciously agrees to do the artwork for our event.  It was something he never tried, and he jumped at the opportunity.  The artwork was amazing.  The folks at the Used Gym Store once again amazed me with their hospitality.  They offer up their space and sponsor prizes every year and I cannot thank them enough.  Such a great place.  Finally, as he always does, Jedd provided prizes as well.  I can't think him enough for helping us out every single year.  It is truly appreciated.  I'd love to have him down for the comp one year!

I was excited this year because we'd have our usual suspects in attendance, but also the crew from the north east: Vinnie Rivellese, Tim Butler and Anthony Clarino.  What a great group of super strong guys.  I was stoked they were able to make it especially with the weather.

As usual we started with grippers.  I haven't trained grippers in a couple years so I was not at my peak, though I managed an easy 150rgc squeeze and narrowly missed a 156.  I certainly can't complain and I do have the gripper bug back (MM3 here I come). Porkchop won the event with an easy crush at 160 and missed 167 a couple times but was very close.  Vinnie has a great crush and took 2nd with 156.  He had 160 down to a hairs width.  Tim and I tied at 150.

Lever Top has become the staple for Charlotte and the Pick Up Artists.  Personally, I can't stand the event, but I trained a bit and mustered something in the low 80s.  James broke his own record by .02 lb which is absolute insanity.  The lift was 121+.  As I say every year, if you ever try the event you would see how challenging and taxing it is on the wrist.  Pork pulled a huge 105 and Cody busted into the 100s to be the 3rd PUA to do so.  

Sledge was nuts.  James broke into the 400s which I don't think anyone was surprised by.  He has been working the sledge constantly for the last few years.  Such a strong event for him.  Pork is strong at everything.   He pulled 324 with authority and Gary pulled 252 to take 3rd. 

The 2.5" Crusher was absolutely awesome.  I didn't place in the top three but pulled a PR of 170 and was pumped, especially missing it the attempt before and getting a successful pull on my final lift.  Tim Butler made everything on the crusher look easy.  He pulled 188 like a feather and repped it out for a triple afterward.  Then missed 200.  Fresh, I believe he would get 200+. Zach Mullins is otherworldly.  He was right behind Tim with a pull of 182 and change.   Pork pulled 174 to take 3rd.  Dude is one of the most well rounded gripsters out there.  

Finally the Euro 2HP.  We always have a Euro in our event because it is a classic and rarely contested anywhere anymore.  Zach Mullins pulled 210 and made it look easy.  If he focuses on this event for a while I think he has the potential to put up some serious numbers, especially at a wider grip.  Vinnie and Porkchop tied for 2nd at 191.

During and after the event everyone played around with some various toys.  Nobody lifted the 'Flintstones' (two 91 lb discs) which was not surprising since we just lifted through 5 events.  Tim pulled my nasty 135lb anvil by the horn thumbless!  Absolutely nuts!  

Thank you to Scott Johnson for scoring and thank you to Vinnie F for helping load and unload weights all day.  Thank you to Gary and his son Dom for helping set up in the morning.  Thank you to James for lugging all the calibrated plates and thanks to everyone who brought grippers and other stuff.  Lastly, it was great seeing Bob Sundin back in action.  Has been laying low for a while but still strong as an ox.  

It was a super event and I am already thinking about next year!

Edited by jasonotto
Addition
  • Like 6

12 hours ago, jasonotto said:

Well AGP 4 was a success.  Lots of strong fellas, lots of big performances, and a whole lot of laughs!

In the early planning stages of this event I wanted to make sure we had something unique.  Last year was sparse since Covid slowed things down and I just knew we would have a bigger group this year.  I reached out to a friend of mine to see if his dad wouldn't mind wood burning awards for each event.  He agrees and they turned out great.  We will be enlisting his help in the future.  I also reached out to strongman artist Alvaro Rocha.  He graciously agrees to do the artwork for our event.  It was something he never tried, and he jumped at the opportunity.  The artwork was amazing.  The folks at the Used Gym Store once again amazed me with their hospitality.  They offer up their space and sponsor prizes every year and I cannot thank them enough.  Such a great place.  Finally, as he always does, Jedd provided prizes as well.  I can't think him enough for helping us out every single year.  It is truly appreciated.  I'd love to have him down for the comp one year!

I was excited this year because we'd have our usual suspects in attendance, but also the crew from the north east: Vinnie Rivellese, Tim Butler and Anthony Clarino.  What a great group of super strong guys.  I was stoked they were able to make it especially with the weather.

As usual we started with grippers.  I haven't trained grippers in a couple years so I was not at my peak, though I managed an easy 150rgc squeeze and narrowly missed a 156.  I certainly can't complain and I do have the gripper bug back (MM3 here I come). Porkchop won the event with an easy crush at 160 and missed 167 a couple times but was very close.  Vinnie has a great crush and took 2nd with 156.  He had 160 down to a hairs width.  Tim and I tied at 150.

Lever Top has become the staple for Charlotte and the Pick Up Artists.  Personally, I can't stand the event, but I trained a bit and mustered something in the low 80s.  James broke his own record by .02 lb which is absolute insanity.  The lift was 121+.  As I say every year, if you ever try the event you would see how challenging and taxing it is on the wrist.  Pork pulled a huge 105 and Cody busted into the 100s to be the 3rd PUA to do so.  

Sledge was nuts.  James broke into the 400s which I don't think anyone was surprised by.  He has been working the sledge constantly for the last few years.  Such a strong event for him.  Pork is strong at everything.   He pulled 324 with authority and Gary pulled 252 to take 3rd. 

The 2.5" Crusher was absolutely awesome.  I didn't place in the top three but pulled a PR of 170 and was pumped, especially missing it the attempt before and getting a successful pull on my final lift.  Tim Butler made everything on the crusher look easy.  He pulled 188 like a feather and repped it out for a triple afterward.  Then missed 200.  Fresh, I believe he would get 200+. Zach Mullins is otherworldly.  He was right behind Tim with a pull of 182 and change.   Pork pulled 174 to take 3rd.  Dude is one of the most well rounded gripsters out there.  

Finally the Euro 2HP.  We always have a Euro in our event because it is a classic and rarely contested anywhere anymore.  Zach Mullins pulled 210 and made it look easy.  If he focuses on this event for a while I think he has the potential to put up some serious numbers, especially at a wider grip.  Vinnie and Porkchop tied for 2nd at 191.

During and after the event everyone played around with some various toys.  Nobody lifted the 'Flintstones' (two 91 lb discs) which was not surprising since we just lifted through 5 events.  Tim pulled my nasty 135lb anvil by the horn thumbless!  Absolutely nuts!  

Thank you to Scott Johnson for scoring and thank you to Vinnie F for helping load and unload weights all day.  Thank you to Gary and his son Dom for helping set up in the morning.  Thank you to James for lugging all the calibrated plates and thanks to everyone who brought grippers and other stuff.  Lastly, it was great seeing Bob Sundin back in action.  Has been laying low for a while but still strong as an ox.  

It was a super event and I am already thinking about next year!

Great write up!  Thanks again!

• Like 2