Captains of Crush #3.5 within 3 months

AdriaanRobert96

Hi again lads and lasses, so about 1 month ago I started with CoC training and closed the #3 within a month, both with set and with CCS which I will have to upload later on for you guys.

That being said, I ordered the CoC #3.5 and was just an inch of closing it aswell.

So I am very confident in saying that I’ll close it within 2-3 months.

Todays topic is me wondering if anyone had  serious strength gains by doing low-medium rangen reps with grippers?

I personally tried it, and not only did my recovery suffer but I didn’t get stronger at all.

Did sets of 6 up to 12 reps with the #2.5 and never got strong to build up to the CoC #3.

As soon as I changed to doing singles only with 3 minutes of rest inbetween, my strength skyrocketed!

Went from barely closing CoC #2.5 on a GOOD day to mashing the CoC #3 within a month on pretty much any given day.

I go for blocks of 4 work weeks with the 5th week being a peak week and then 2 weeks deload.

Would love your input, and of course any tips and tricks you might have or other exercises that has carryover.

Only thing that I felt has carry over is heavy finger extensions with Iron Mind Red bands for like 50 reps x 3-5 sets.

The other thing that has good carryover for me is plate curls for some reason because it helps with thumb strenght aswell :)

6 hours ago, AdriaanRobert96 said:

Hi again lads and lasses, so about 1 month ago I started with CoC training and closed the #3 within a month, both with set and with CCS which I will have to upload later on for you guys.

That being said, I ordered the CoC #3.5 and was just an inch of closing it aswell.

So I am very confident in saying that I’ll close it within 2-3 months.

Todays topic is me wondering if anyone had  serious strength gains by doing low-medium rangen reps with grippers?

I personally tried it, and not only did my recovery suffer but I didn’t get stronger at all.

Did sets of 6 up to 12 reps with the #2.5 and never got strong to build up to the CoC #3.

As soon as I changed to doing singles only with 3 minutes of rest inbetween, my strength skyrocketed!

Went from barely closing CoC #2.5 on a GOOD day to mashing the CoC #3 within a month on pretty much any given day.

I go for blocks of 4 work weeks with the 5th week being a peak week and then 2 weeks deload.

Would love your input, and of course any tips and tricks you might have or other exercises that has carryover.

Only thing that I felt has carry over is heavy finger extensions with Iron Mind Red bands for like 50 reps x 3-5 sets.

The other thing that has good carryover for me is plate curls for some reason because it helps with thumb strenght aswell :)

That’s I trained them- singles 90% of attempts and the remaining ten was usually for challenges with Horne or things like GHP certs - both for my COC and my mash monster attempts all singles training 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AdamTGlass said:

That’s I trained them- singles 90% of attempts and the remaining ten was usually for challenges with Horne or things like GHP certs - both for my COC and my mash monster attempts all singles training 

I don't think i've ever trained reps in any appreciable manner, I don't feel like i get the best strength potential out of them for some reason, Singles with a much heavier gripper yield me better results than reps with a lighter one

• Like 2

Depends if grippers are priority atm, if they are then focus on lower reps with more resistance. But ofc like with any other strength training you need to drop back to lighter resistance and build up the muscle. Then you can peak again. You cannot be hitting heavy every single week of the year. You have to cycle in and out, so do your heavy peak of grippers but then have to back off it.

• Like 7

16 hours ago, Ivan Cuk said:

Depends if grippers are priority atm, if they are then focus on lower reps with more resistance. But ofc like with any other strength training you need to drop back to lighter resistance and build up the muscle. Then you can peak again. You cannot be hitting heavy every single week of the year. You have to cycle in and out, so do your heavy peak of grippers but then have to back off it.

Yes it makes total sense🤔

Although my back off is usually only 2 weeks after my inital peak week.

I need to get that CoC #4🥵

An inch from closing is a very long way away bud, saying you'll close that in 2-3 months is like saying you did a 300lb bench press so in 2-3 months you will be doing 500lb.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

On 9/24/2022 at 9:41 PM, Ivan Cuk said:

OMG, I just realized it’s the beastly Ivan Cuk😮💨✊🏼

14 hours ago, Paul Savage said:

An inch from closing is a very long way away bud, saying you'll close that in 2-3 months is like saying you did a 300lb bench press so in 2-3 months you will be doing 500lb.

I might be wrong, but I feel like 3 months tops should be enough..

I know the gap between 3 and 3.5 is huge but with that said I got this😅

Took me less than a month to get the #3.

Nontheless, I’ll get it sooner or later that’s for sure.😮💨

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AdriaanRobert96 said:

I might be wrong, but I feel like 3 months tops should be enough..

I know the gap between 3 and 3.5 is huge but with that said I got this😅

Took me less than a month to get the #3.

Nontheless, I’ll get it sooner or later that’s for sure.😮💨

Good luck.. I never have had good luck with grippers so I have no idea how long it should take Either way at the very least you will be three months stronger in three months, or you will be closing the 3.5.

• Thanks 1

Well, based on what I have seen over the years, the #3.5 might definitely be in your reach.  After the #3 things can still get a lot harder for most gifted closers to reach that #3.5 level of closing strength.  An inch is a mile btw and it can take a long time to close a 1/8" gap.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Paul Savage said:

Depends on genetics. I have seen people making huge gains on grippers in a very short period of time. Faster than in anything else. And I don't think you can compare it to powerlifting in that sense.

But I completely agree that one inch gap is a very hard gap to close on a hard gripper like a #3.5. And you're definitely not close to closing the gripper at that point.

We will see in three months if he is genetically gifted or not.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

Depends on genetics. I have seen people making huge gains on grippers in a very short period of time. Faster than in anything else. And I don't think you can compare it to powerlifting in that sense.

But I completely agree that one inch gap is a very hard gap to close on a hard gripper like a #3.5. And you're definitely not close to closing the gripper at that point.

We will see in three months if he is genetically gifted or not.

Very well put, wish me luck lads😮💨

1 hour ago, Wannagrip said:

Well, based on what I have seen over the years, the #3.5 might definitely be in your reach.  After the #3 things can still get a lot harder for most gifted closers to reach that #3.5 level of closing strength.  An inch is a mile btw and it can take a long time to close a 1/8" gap.

I definitely agree, I’ve heard that the 3-3.5 gap is a very hard one indeed🤔

1 minute ago, AdriaanRobert96 said:

I closed the #3 after a solid month of training, I think it took me the better part of a year to close the #3.5, How much of that was down to trash training i have no idea, Probably most of it

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Jermiah Merciconah said:

I closed the #3 after a solid month of training, I think it took me the better part of a year to close the #3.5, How much of that was down to trash training i have no idea, Probably most of it

I see, well thank you for the insight :)

Helps a lot to know what I get myself into, hopefully the universe makes sure everything pans out perfectly😂

2 minutes ago, AdriaanRobert96 said:

I see, well thank you for the insight :)

Helps a lot to know what I get myself into, hopefully the universe makes sure everything pans out perfectly😂

Yeah just make sure to keep an open mind going into this, Because its not like something like deadlift or bench where you can accurately plan out the progression, You're going to have alot of bad days on this journey, Your grip can get screwy from small stuff like lack of sleep, Too much sleep, Doing something strenuous on certain days, Damn probably even the moon phase

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jermiah Merciconah said:

Yeah just make sure to keep an open mind going into this, Because its not like something like deadlift or bench where you can accurately plan out the progression, You're going to have alot of bad days on this journey, Your grip can get screwy from small stuff like lack of sleep, Too much sleep, Doing something strenuous on certain days, Damn probably even the moon phase

Yes sir, I will definitely keep all this in mind and be open minded.

I might have come off as too confident, which wasn’t meant to in that sense.

It was just a matter of me judging my own rate of progress😅

Well, well, stay tunes until december 26th✊🏼

1 hour ago, AdriaanRobert96 said:

Very well put, wish me luck lads😮💨

1 hour ago, AdriaanRobert96 said:

Most important thing is that you keep training consistently. Regardless if you close the #3.5 in three months or not. You will get there if you keep training.

It took me three years to close the #3 (average to hard). Then it only took around six months (in total) to go from hard #3 to up to around 170-175. So for me it was actually harder to go from low #3's to hard #3's than to #3.5 level.

If you manage to crack the code you can make a lot of gains even if you hit a serious plateau.

7 hours ago, AdriaanRobert96 said:

OMG, I just realized it’s the beastly Ivan Cuk😮💨✊🏼

😎sup sup

• Haha 1

I went from inch between handles on 3.5 to closing it with card in 2 months last year. If you mean 3.5 MMS or Deep set then its guaranteed if you already close 3 with wide or ccs. But 3 to 3.5 with ccs is pretty decent jump, and ofc 3.5 to 4 is double that lol. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Ivan Cuk said:

I went from inch between handles on 3.5 to closing it with card in 2 months last year. If you mean 3.5 MMS or Deep set then its guaranteed if you already close 3 with wide or ccs. But 3 to 3.5 with ccs is pretty decent jump, and ofc 3.5 to 4 is double that lol. 

I'm a smaller guy (with not that big hands), and it took me about a year to close a 3 MMS and about 4 years to get the CCS cert.  But right about when I could first CCS an average 3, I also got my first MMS close of an easy 3.5 -- and I never closed a hard one, but I am pretty sure that I can get any 3.5 to closer than an inch just about any day (I can usually silver bullet with a 4 for a couple seconds, and with a 3.5 for a long hold).  So it seems odd to me that you can CCS a 3 and not already come much closer to MMS on a 3.5.  But I guess everyone is different, and maybe you need to work more on setting better, which is something that helped me progress when I thought I had stalled.  Your progress is fast, for sure.  Good luck, and I hope to see you make your goal.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

I'm a smaller guy (with not that big hands), and it took me about a year to close a 3 MMS and about 4 years to get the CCS cert.  But right about when I could first CCS an average 3, I also got my first MMS close of an easy 3.5 -- and I never closed a hard one, but I am pretty sure that I can get any 3.5 to closer than an inch just about any day (I can usually silver bullet with a 4 for a couple seconds, and with a 3.5 for a long hold).  So it seems odd to me that you can CCS a 3 and not already come much closer to MMS on a 3.5.  But I guess everyone is different, and maybe you need to work more on setting better, which is something that helped me progress when I thought I had stalled.  Your progress is fast, for sure.  Good luck, and I hope to see you make your goal.

Oh is that so?

Not sure what my 3 and 3.5 are, easy or hard.

But the 3 was pretty easy within a month, also my CCS close was on my peak week😅

Didn’t manage a CCS close after.

Thanks for the support pal✊🏼

On 9/25/2022 at 12:11 PM, Paul Savage said:

^ This. For having handle spreads of almost 3 inches and estimating like 175 rgc on average, the last inch of a 3.5 would take an additional estimated 60 lbs RGC to get through, with only putting in maybe estimated 115 RGC by the time the handle stops moving. That's definitely long term progress, not short term, but I am open to being surprised. Food for thought.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, C8Myotome said:

^ This. For having handle spreads of almost 3 inches and estimating like 175 rgc on average, the last inch of a 3.5 would take an additional estimated 60 lbs RGC to get through, with only putting in maybe estimated 115 RGC by the time the handle stops moving. That's definitely long term progress, not short term, but I am open to being surprised. Food for thought.

Thanks for the feedback and info, I am not very aware about all the RGC and ratings so it’s very interesting to read.

Maybe I thought that 3 months is “long term” 😂 Maybe I overestimated myself indeed.

Only time will tell✊🏼

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, AdriaanRobert96 said:

Thanks for the feedback and info, I am not very aware about all the RGC and ratings so it’s very interesting to read.

Maybe I thought that 3 months is “long term” 😂 Maybe I overestimated myself indeed.

Only time will tell✊🏼

Yes, I’ve seen 165rgc 3.5’s on cannon’s site. Grippers vary a lot. You can get a 139 no.3 or 160rgc and they are definitely different grippers. Good luck, I like your confidence…it’s better than doubting yourself!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1