Your heaviest CPW rated #3

Alex K

Hello guys! Recently I was wondering regarding those very heavy CoC#3s. I’ve got quite a few rated above 150, all of them being close to 80mm (3.15”) in spread. I am quite skeptical that those super heavy (155+) #3s are much wider than that, and it is probably related to the mount being higher or maybe the springs of the grippers.

If anybody has any superheavy cpw-rated #3s, I’d love to see what such grippers look like! :) 

Edited by Alexander Koss
  • Like 2

Just now, Alexander Koss said:

Hello guys! Recently I was wondering regarding those very heavy CoC#3s. I’ve got quite a few rated above 150, all of them being close to 80mm (3.15”) in spread. I am quite skeptical that those super heavy (155+) #3s are much wider than that, and it is probably related to the mount being higher or maybe the springs of the grippers.

If anybody has any superheavy cpw-rated #3a, I’d love to see what such grippers look like! :) 

My Coc cert was with Matt as my judge and the gripper was rated at 158. Matt commented the moment we opened the box that it was surprisingly wide- @Cannonwhat do you remember about that afternoon? 

• Like 7

44 minutes ago, AdamTGlass said:

My Coc cert was with Matt as my judge and the gripper was rated at 158. Matt commented the moment we opened the box that it was surprisingly wide- @Cannonwhat do you remember about that afternoon? 

I have a 3.5 rated 158, 😂. I call it the 3.25, narrow spread too. 

• Like 6

47 minutes ago, stranger said:

Jeebers you could sell that one for $500 bones to some of these clowns who would do anything to say they closed a 3.5 lolol keep that one in a jar that says in case of emergency sell to IG clown. 

Edited by AdamTGlass
  • Like 6
  • Haha 4

57 minutes ago, stranger said:

Lightest 3,5 ever maybe 👀

• Like 4

Just now, pancho_grip_lift said:

Lightest 3,5 ever maybe 👀

Lightest rated by @Cannon lol

• Like 4

8 hours ago, AdamTGlass said:

Jeebers you could sell that one for $500 bones to some of these clowns who would do anything to say they closed a 3.5 lolol keep that one in a jar that says in case of emergency sell to IG clown. 

Only in grip world!  This made me smile for a few reasons.  First, only a guy like Adam can say this, as if 158 is nothing.  It would be like if Learjet dropped the price of their entry level private jet from 10 million to 9 million, and Bill Gates said "Pshaw, at that price now every pauper is gonna want one."  Adam is a Bill Gates of grip.  Truth is, for most people, 158, 165, and up are all just bricks.  But second, Adam is totally right.  I bought a 3.5 rated 165, which I thought was extremely light for a 3.5, just to have a shot at closing a 3.5.  Paid face value but thought I was stealing it lol.  So if you had offered me a 158 for a premium, I can't deny it would have been tempting.  It is quite like the larger market for COC 3s rated in the 130s, which are sought for the same reason and maybe moreso because of MM0 and because that difficulty level is more universally attainable (I was in that boat, too, before I started managing the harder 3s).  There is something about the progression up the gripper models that is alluring enough to cause these desires to move up to the next one ASAP.  Grip geeks we are.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Hardest I've had is around 160 and 77 mm spread. That one is unrated but I know it's over 158 at least. I've had one rated (CPW) at 158 and that was 75-77 (dont remember exactly).

Lightest I had wiith that spread was rated 146 with 77 mm spread. Which I think is unusual for that rating.

Of all #3's I've bought brand new most of them had a spread of at least 75 mm or more but they always shrink 1-2 mm after 30-50 closes.

• Like 1

On 9/17/2022 at 7:42 PM, AdamTGlass said:

I remember that you closed that gripper about 7 times from CCS. It was hard as hell. One attempt was a solid slam but you jumped my start command that the rules say is technically supposed to happen. So we did it a few times. You demonstrated total control over the gripper in the spirit of the IM cert. 

• Like 2

On 9/20/2022 at 4:21 AM, Cannon said:

A truly hard example of any level will have a wide spread. I cannot think of any exceptions. 

I had a 112 CPW rated #2 once which had a unusual narrow spread for that rating. Although that is not the highest the #2's go but it's still fairly high rating. That's the best example I can think of. As for #3's I think the old double stamped #3 I have is a very hard #3 and it has "only" 75-76 mm spread, but that's not really small. But it's the smallest of any grippers in that range I've had.

• Like 1

On 9/23/2022 at 12:19 AM, Fist of Fury said:

I had a 112 CPW rated #2 once which had a unusual narrow spread for that rating. Although that is not the highest the #2's go but it's still fairly high rating. That's the best example I can think of. As for #3's I think the old double stamped #3 I have is a very hard #3 and it has "only" 75-76 mm spread, but that's not really small. But it's the smallest of any grippers in that range I've had.

That’s not really a pattern though. You can find any kind of outliers you want. The truly hard grippers are almost always wide. That’s the correlation I was pointing out. 

4 hours ago, Cannon said:

That’s not really a pattern though. You can find any kind of outliers you want. The truly hard grippers are almost always wide. That’s the correlation I was pointing out. 

Yes I was also pointing it out. Just giving my experience with grippers. I wasn't disagreeing.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Cannon said:

Its not coincidence that my GHP 9 & 10 are the widest grippers i own, Next is my RB 300, grippers i can't imagine anyone being able to TNS