How To Take Advantage Of Bar Length

mcham

Recently got myself IMs bag of nails... I haven't been able to bend a yellow yet, which is annoying because I'm pretty sure I would have been able to a few months ago when nails 150mm x 5.6mm were bending very easily... I took a break for a few months, and seem to have lost everything :(

Anyway... my question is a about bar length... I know that a yellow being 7" long should somehow make it easier, but how do I take advantage of the length?

I bend underhanded, so I gather I'm just mean to grab the bar by the ends so that there's a gap between my hands... but then I can't seem to apply any force!

...am I just too weak, or is there a technique for using the bar length to my advantage?

im pretty new so take this with a grain of salt but i like my hands close together regardless of the length of the nail. Good luck Austin Slater

Thanks Austin - that's what I do too - gripping further apart just feels weird.

I guess I was just wondering if the longer bars are easier just due to mechanical properties of the steel, or whether there's techniques for taking advantage of the length to get extra leverage on the bar?

I start the bend with my fingers close together and then reposition my hands later in the bend, to take full advantage of the length. Like you, I use the spike bending style.

IMHO, if the steel is stiff, it is very hard to get the bend started unless your fingers are close together.

Robert

Thanks Robert.... that makes sense!

Last few days I've been giving the terminator technique a try-out to see if that suits me more.... feels good so far and I think it will help with getting the most out of the nail length.

I bought some 150mm x 5.6 nails yeasterday that I can bend fairly easily... so I'm just gonna bend, bend, bend to get the feel for it... then make another stab at the yellow.