Red Nail! - Grade 8 Bolt

SHRUG

I have recently been thinking about this and I have come up with the following list of reasons that lead me to believe that the RED NAIL and a Grade 8 Bolt are about equal in terms of how difficult each of them feels when being bent. I have personal experience with bending a Grade 8 Bolt into a full U and I know that Grade 8 Bolts tend to be a little springy. Grade 8's are also only 6" which makes them more difficult for a guy with very wide hands to bend, this leaves a very large part of my hand being unused for the bend. Longer pieces of steel suit my hands much better, I love bending all lengths of steel and I like the challenge of a short piece of steel. However a piece of steel around 7" or so seems to fit me the best. Due to the fact that a RED NAIL is 7 1/8" and that it is also not springy like a grade 8 is why I am thinking that it will feel about the same as a grade 8 feels. Also a grade 8 takes 235k to fully U while a new RED NAIL takes 255k. This is only a difference of 20k, I know that 20k can be a lot of difference, however I think that the other factors will almost make up for this. This is just what I have been thinking, I would appreciate the opinions of some other experienced benders on this subject. I would especially like to hear from David and terminator. Please post what you guys think about this I am open to any response. :rock

Shrug, I think the Red Nail is quite a bit harder than the Grade 8 bolts. It may as you say depend on whether your body is set up more for the longer bends than the shorter ones. I am much more proficient on the 6" and below bends, the major challenge for me on the Red was getting used to a length that was decidedly awkward for me. That and it's one tough piece of steel. Once I get into a position to chest crush something I'm more able to compare relative difficulties of the material.....after that point length no longer matters. I still find that side by side on the crush the Red is a bit tougher than the Grade 8's. You may find the same thing or it may feel totally different to you. The "springiness" in the grade 8's is probably due to them being alloy steel as opposed to carbon steel for Grade 5's and most other bending material. The older dark Red Nails are a different animal altogether, tougher all the way. I only have one left unbent, which I plan to save for posterity.

terminator, just as you said that you are much more proficient on the 6" and below bends, I am much more proficient on the 7" bends. I do however enjoy bending steel that is 6" and below very much. Infact all I have been bending for the last few weeks is 6" and below grade 5 and grade 8 bolts as well as very hard 60D nails. I will soon find out how the RED NAIL feels to me compared to the grade 8's because I am expecting a batch of 20 in a couple of days. I think it will feel roughly the same to me as the Grade 8's do and maybe even feel a little easier because of how my hands are better suited to longer steel. By saying that it might feel a litter easier than a grade 8 bolt I mean that it will feel easier because it will be less awkward for me because of its length. If you have any more thoughts on this subject I would love to hear them. :rock

Edited by SHRUG

Also, earlier red nails were measured at I believe 275kgs. Everything is pretty inconsistant at ironmind, but hopefully the red nail won't have quite the variability of the grippers...

Also, earlier red nails were measured at I believe 275kgs. Everything is pretty inconsistant at ironmind, but hopefully the red nail won't have quite the variability of the grippers...

255 kg vs. 270kg is pretty consistent, especially since there is no evidence that IM attempts to calibrate the bars. I think the grippers vary by a lot more than 5%.