Pinch: not just thumb

Gripperer

When we think "pinch" we think "thumb" right? 

Well I do/did anyway. 

Pinch seems to be great at improving overall hand strength, but how can this be if so thumb dominant? 

Lately I've found that the pinch, especially wide pinch, requires a lot in wrist extensor stability. Anyone else feel this? 

There is a possibility that I have a tendon damage (slightly overworked, nothing major) and that's why I feel it, particularly in line with the index finger. 

Edited by Gripperer
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Gripperer said:

When we think "pinch" we think "thumb" right? 

Well I do/did anyway. 

Pinch seems to be great at improving overall hand strength, but how can this be if so thumb dominant? 

Lately I've found that the pinch, especially wide pinch, requires a lot in wrist extensor stability. Anyone else feel this? 

There is a possibility that I have a tendon damage (slightly overworked, nothing major) and that's why I feel it, particularly in line with the index finger. 

Look at your hand like its a vise, to lock it in there you need strength and pressure on both sides. If you are like me  you've got 4 fingers on one side and one thumb on the other. So the thumb has got to be strong. I never really thought about it, but wider pinch probably does work the extensors more. Thats because your hand is opened wider.

I've never done any wide pinching except for smaller blob I picked up once. But I know it's important to ease into it. If you are feeling pain, do something that doesn't aggravate it for a while.

There isn't much worse than hearing a loud pop and seeing your thumb swell up a balloon.... Actually, throwing in getting stuck in a funeral procession on the way to the hospital with a sprained thumb ligament sucks pretty bad too. 

• Like 2

On 8/14/2022 at 12:41 PM, Blacksmith513 said:

Look at your hand like its a vise, to lock it in there you need strength and pressure on both sides. If you are like me  you've got 4 fingers on one side and one thumb on the other. So the thumb has got to be strong. I never really thought about it, but wider pinch probably does work the extensors more. Thats because your hand is opened wider.

I've never done any wide pinching except for smaller blob I picked up once. But I know it's important to ease into it. If you are feeling pain, do something that doesn't aggravate it for a while.

There isn't much worse than hearing a loud pop and seeing your thumb swell up a balloon.... Actually, throwing in getting stuck in a funeral procession on the way to the hospital with a sprained thumb ligament sucks pretty bad too. 

Sounds bad, what caused it? 

10 minutes ago, Gripperer said:

Sounds bad, what caused it? 

Work. I was carrying some sheets of something up stairs, set the two sheets down on the tread to re adjust my grip. One sheet went sliding and took my thumb with it. It hurt but I forgot about it. Two hours later I was carrying plywood and pop instant pain 10/10.  I sprained some ligament or tendon. Took 2-3 years to fully heal. 

• Like 1

Been dealing with a thumb extensor issue for four months.  Progressively getting better with time, cautiousness of certain movements that aggrevate, strengthening & stretching and using a thumb splint periodically. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Vinny F said:

Been dealing with a thumb extensor issue for four months.  Progressively getting better with time, cautiousness of certain movements that aggrevate, strengthening & stretching and using a thumb splint periodically. 

Yeah, it can take a long time. I had a few tendon/ligament things going on with my hands in my early 20s. Looking back, i'm glad I did. I think that played a big role in me discovering this sport. Some things that really helped was stretching, buying this https://www.amazon.com/Rolflex-PRO-Leverage-Foam-Roller/dp/B07H14X98W/ref=sxin_14_pa_sp_search_thematic_sspa?content-id=amzn1.sym.a15c61b7-4b93-404d-bb70-88600dfb718d%3Aamzn1.sym.a15c61b7-4b93-404d-bb70-88600dfb718d&crid=2VC3LZ182AR72&cv_ct_cx=forearm+massager&keywords=forearm+massager&pd_rd_i=B07H14X98W&pd_rd_r=4b5ac94c-27e5-479a-ba29-76a98abfbf15&pd_rd_w=52wig&pd_rd_wg=GwHVi&pf_rd_p=a15c61b7-4b93-404d-bb70-88600dfb718d&pf_rd_r=VG8H00PF5CTZF03ZDZ2V&qid=1660696199&sprefix=forearm+massage%2Caps%2C168&sr=1-1-a73d1c8c-2fd2-4f19-aa41-2df022bcb241-spons&psc=1

and some compression gloves to wear at night. I hope yours clears up soon. 

• Like 1