Handles Why?aluminum?

Tom of Iowa2

Messing around in the shop the other day with some springs and steel and gippers........trying to make our own grippers for fun.

Made me think?(and i did a search but couldn't find real good answer)WHY are gripper handles usually made of aluminum?I'm sure there is something to 'it' that we are missing? :( ???

I'm not sure how the spring sticks into the handle, but if it is done with barbs, you would need a soft metal like aluminium/brass that the harder metal of the spring would be able to stick into.

I'm not sure how the spring sticks into the handle, but if it is done with barbs, you would need a soft metal like aluminium/brass that the harder metal of the spring would be able to stick into.

The springs are either bonded in the handles with a 2 part epoxy or as

Tetting does it, with compression pins (expansion pins)

Warren says he uses aluminium because it is alot cheaper to knurl and not as hard on the drill bits like OldGuy said. It can also be knurled and drilled alot faster about 3:1 was the ratio I think he told me. It also sticks better with the chalk giving you a better grip on the gripper.

I was talking to Warren as well and I remember he thought very highly of the alum. handles. They cut down on the cost of shipping, and since the gripper isn't as heavy it doesn't play mind games with you. He said that a gripper with steel handles just feels harder because of the weight; when in fact it isn't harder, just heavier.

All good reasons.Thanks for ALL the feedback.

I Just didn't know and Jerry has (literally)tons of steel.They were just trying to figure out some different gripper configurations/designs and were wondering about the handle??Thought it had magical properties...like the INCH dumbell rolling out of one's hand ;) ...'magical' :blush

yes aluminum is very easy to work with...more expensive to purchase though....Again,very interesting and valid 'reasons'

Edited by Tom of Iowa2

The springs are either bonded in the handles with a 2 part epoxy or as

Tetting does it, with compression pins (expansion pins)

This is also 'news' to me.

Which is the stronger bond?Does it seem to matter?

My opinion is; I believe Tettings pins are superior to the epoxy bond.

The handles will not loosen in Tettings` grippers (which I have several of and

have yet to happen ). Whereas the bonded grippers in fact can become loose,

which has happened to a few of my bonded grippers. (I do believe someone a

long while back said a PDA pinned gripper handle was a little loose on theirs,

but can`t recall for sure)

Not a problem though, I just rebonded them with JB-Weld and they are better

than they were originally after using the JB.

To me JB-Weld is the superior product that is easily available on the public market.

I have used far superior products than JB when I worked in the Aerospace industry.

But then you are talking Military Specs :yikes

I think the epoxy bond is alot better for mass production but the quality is not as good.

Is the J B Qwik?as strong as the J B Weld?

I have seen the JB Qwik, but have not tried it so I can not give you an opinion.

Believe it or not I actually tapped threads in JB Weld for kicks to see if it would work ( as an experiment and it did tap) but I myself would not actually use a tapped JB to hold 2 items together. Maybe for a temporary situation only

It is great for rebonding loose gripper handles I`ll bank that for sure :)

Believe it or not I actually tapped threads in JB Weld for kicks to see if it would work ( as an experiment and it did tap) but I myself would not actually use a tapped JB to hold 2 items together. Maybe for a temporary situation only

Interesting.Can you paint over JB Weld? or would enamel cause it to 'break down'???

Interesting.Can you paint over JB Weld? or would enamel cause it to 'break down'???

Yes, you can paint it , grind it , sand it...... I bonded a piece of 4" dia round

stock ( weighed 30 lbs) to a piece of 5" dia round stock (weighed 35 lbs) end

to end. After it cured I could not pull them apart.

I fooled around with this piece for a while pinch lifting it from the 4 inch end

and even dropped it numerous times (outside on soil) and it did not

break apart.

I had to take a 2lb. hammer and give it a few good whacks to break it apart.

Anyway, JB Weld is a good item that is easy to use and cheap way to make

things stick together. It makes for good filler material too. I obtained some steel

plates that had small 3/8 holes in them. Filled the holes with JB... sanded them

down flush.. painted the plates.. you can not even tell the holes were there.

It`s kinda like an excellent bondo job on a car :)

Thanks.Very useful information

Tom,

I checked out the label of the JB Qwik and it is primarily for household items,

hobbyist and artist. Low key stuff. My opinion is JB Weld is 2-3 times the strength.

I believe the Qwik would bond gripper handles but no where near as tight and durable as the Weld :)