Asymmetrical Bend

EricMilfeld

With the seven inch bars I'm unable to make a "U", and end up with more like a "J". My right hand, the one which does the bending, inevitably creates the curved part of the "J", while my left creates the leg. What I do to compensate is to then flip the bar around after the initial kink, and give it another go, which seems to work okay. It still comes out uneven, but by flipping it, the next phase of the bend goes a little easier. Anyone else experiencing this quirk? Any advice? Or do I just carry on as I'm doing it.

Eric, you're probably just stronger than you know! :bow

It's been my experience that if I can "J-shape" the metal, then it's too easy! Meaning that I could have cut an inch off and still U-shaped it. If you suspect that this is true for yourself, try more challenging 7 inch stock or reduce the length of your metal, bend it and examine your results.

Eric, you're probably just stronger than you know! :bow

It's been my experience that if I can "J-shape" the metal, then it's too easy! Meaning that I could have cut an inch off and still U-shaped it. If you suspect that this is true for yourself, try more challenging 7 inch stock or reduce the length of your metal, bend it and examine your results.

Terry, I first suspected what you just related. In fact, yesterday I cut some real easy 1/4" stock to 7" and discovered I was plagued by the same problem. Althouth with great concentration I could almost accomplish a symmetrical bend. When I made my max bend (or close to it) of the 205 kilo bar last night, it too came out like a "J". It does make me wonder if I can bend the 220 kilo bar, which I do have. It's the same bar with 1/2" cut off. You can bet I'll be giving the 220 a go in a day or two. Thanks for your interest Terry. I love your website, by the way!

Eric

I normally bend the 7 inch bars off centre too – I was hoping I was stronger too!!. I was also wondering the same about the 220. Only one way to find out I suppose :)

Jim

Eric, I have recently been having the same results from time to time when I bend, last night I bent another grade 5 6in. x 1/4in. bolt and it came out uneven. However the bend felt very easy. As long as the ends are within the two inch requirment don't worry about it. Now go and CRUSH that 220k bar!!!! :rock

Okay. I feel better now. I was afraid my brain wasn't symmetrical. :whacked Well, actually I'm still wondering...

Thanks ya'll for the input.

Edited by EricMilfeld