Tungsten Spheres

johndaly

Guest Harlan Jacobs

I doubt if many on here are fimilar with tungsten. Tungsten is 1 1/2-2 times heavier than steel than carbon steel. The one in the picture won't be seeing much airtime.

Guest Harlan Jacobs

Now that I look at it closer, it looks like it is some kind of tungsten tool steel . The weight I gave was for tungsten carbide( 1 1/2-2 times heavier). The tool steel will still be at least 50% heavier that regular carbon steel.

I just got a reply from the company about prices. He wouldn't even give me an estimate and just said "We make them to-order, and we can't just make 2 x 2" balls". Nothing else. Bastard...

I believe that the Level 2 Dexterity Balls from IronMind are made of Tungsten. They are quite heavy.

This site has various sizes of solid steel or marble balls.

I recommend the 73mm bad boys. They are awesome and available nowhere else.

Solid Steel

Thanks for the link John!

The blue ones with the ying yang on them are exactly like mine.

Rick Walker :rock

I looked at these posts and tried ten minutes with my boule balls last night.

(about 800 grams, 7-7.5 cm diameter). The idea was to facilitate recuperation of my tendinitis. And for my middle fingers that might work. But my hands actually got bit sore in some small, hard to define muscles, like from a real workout!?. Do you guys think that they are too big for medium sized hands?

Nils

This place (tungsten spheres) is 4 miles from where I work. It's half-way between work and home and I drive by it every day. I'll stop by and see if they let me in the building.

Mike M.

If I recall correctly, the formulae for the volume of a sphere is 4/3 x pi x radius cubed (excuse the crap notation, I can't find the relevant buttons).

Thus, at 18.5gr/cc:

A ball with a radius of N centimetres would weigh x kilos.

N X

1 0.07

2 0.62

3 2.09

4 4.96

5 9.69

6 16.74

7 26.58

8 39.68

9 56.49

10 77.49

(Somebody check my maths please!!)

Therefore (discounting the handle) a Millenium weight bell would have globes of roughly 7" diameter, and a very heavy (469lb) "Atlas Stone" of roughly 11 inches in diameter (not that they make them above 4", though).

Tungsten is defintely VERY dense. Not sure how it would handle the abuse, though.

Edited because i messed up the calculations myself!!

Edited by The Mac

• 4 weeks later...

I finally did stop by and they did let me into the building. The finished products are very expensive (4 inch cube = $1000) but they are also very cool, just not $1000 worth of cool! These little objects were very smooth and hard to pick-up. They told me they would sell pieces of scrap far cheaper than they would finished cubes and spheres - still pretty steep though. Anyway, my wife stopped by and sweet-talked a deal and she got a 46# chunk and a 76# chunk for me for Christmas. They are interesting as novety items and functional for training as well.

Mike M.

Those 73mm colossal balls look nice. Anybody have them? How much do they weigh? I use shotputs ranging from 4lbs-10lbs.