Rolling Handle carryover to grippers

Alex K

Hello guys! I believe questions regarding carryover might have been discussed numerous times before, but I wanted to ask specifically regarding those two - as of recently I took my RGT to my local gym and had myself a nice workout with it. I don’t have much weight at home, so I simply attached the handle to a machine at the gym that could be loaded up to 70-80 kg or so and me and my friends tried maxing out on how much we could lift. Today I woke up sore in my forearms, which is something I have never experienced since the very start of my grip journey. Do you guys think it would make sense to incorporate some Armlifting into my routine to improve gripper progress? 

Edit: Also noticed that most guys who are good at grippers are also into Armlifting (for example Ivan Cuk, Carl Myerscough and Tanner Merkle) 

Edited by Alexander Koss
  • Like 1

Rolling handles won't do anything for grippers, they actually could and most likely would have a negative impact because they are tough to recover from and people perform best on grippers when they are fresh. As far as those good at grippers also being good at other events, that's a lot to do with the heavier grippers tending to slip if you don't have the overall hand strength and also thumbpad size that's developed in other events. These can include rolling handles but i wouldn't have them in the same routine if your focus is on gripper strength.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Paul Savage said:

Rolling handles won't do anything for grippers, they actually could and most likely would have a negative impact because they are tough to recover from and people perform best on grippers when they are fresh. As far as those good at grippers also being good at other events, that's a lot to do with the heavier grippers tending to slip if you don't have the overall hand strength and also thumbpad size that's developed in other events. These can include rolling handles but i wouldn't have them in the same routine if your focus is on gripper strength.

Your correct, but it might not be a bad idea to dial back on grippers and get stronger with the rolling handles. The stronger you are as a unit the better. Squats might not help directly with grippers but in a roundabout way they still probably do.

it all depends on your goals. If you are on the road to closing a #3 by October or something the RGT might hold you back. But if you are in it for the long run, mix it up a bit.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Paul Savage said:

Are you suggesting that thick bar doesn't help with the setting of a gripper?

Edited by hellswindstaff

1 hour ago, hellswindstaff said:

Are you suggesting that thick bar doesn't help with the setting of a gripper?

It definitely helps. However bringing up your bench press will help much more.

• Like 1

I am currently working towards closing heavier CoC #3s from a Credit Card set, mainly looking to gain strength consistently in the long term to reach the highest possible results. The stronger the better. I had this feeling that grippers really hit the bottom two fingers, while the index and middle fingers are sort of performing more static holds. The RGT did seem to hit those a lot more during my training. But I guess it can all be debated, I’ll have to try out for myself probably :) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fist of Fury said:

It definitely helps. However bringing up your bench press will help much more.

Does that include CCS and/or TNS?

Edited by hellswindstaff

54 minutes ago, hellswindstaff said:

Does that include CCS and/or TNS?

I answered your question. It was crystal clear what I meant. 

Well I could definitely see how a bigger bench would help with a MMS, but a TNS? From what conditioning the elbow?

32 minutes ago, hellswindstaff said:

Well I could definitely see how a bigger bench would help with a MMS, but a TNS? From what conditioning the elbow?

Are you drunk? Why do you even talk with me about CCS and TNS? You asked about setting grippers.

I hope you know that the "N" and "S" in TNS stands for No Set.

CCS doesn't require any particular setting strength either.

• Like 1

I've noticed my Silver Bullet lift improving as my Armlifting/GS training progresses. But my actual gripper closes suffer due to all the thick bar, pinch, v bar stuff. If I were looking for gripper accessory work I think plate curls and maybe pinch work may be beneficial. I'd say I had some carryover from my Ironmind Stacker to grippers but I'm not  100% sure. Also I think 50mm, 60mm & 76mm pinch likely helped out a bit. The challenge with rolling handle or thick bar work can be recovering and balancing it out with heavy gripper work.