How is my gripper technique?

EmilBB

So I've been training with HG grippers for 2 months, the 150, 200 & 250 models. I ended up being able to close the 250 for five sets of five, so I thought I would buy the captain of crush #2, #2.5 & #3 to see where I was at. Closing the #2 & #2.5 went well, however with the #3 I got 1-2mm from closing it. I feel like I have the strength for the #3, maybe just lacking technique to getting it closed. Which would make sense, since I'm only 2 months in. I have of course watched a ton of technique videos but maybe I'm missing something. Here's the videos of my closes & attempt. The camera angle is pretty bad, so I hope you can see what's going on.

#2 Close: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d23dUwfKRCA

#2.5 Close: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OmE2Pyu_XM

#3 Attempt: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUxJmZlT_s8

Edited by EmilBB
  • Like 3

As far as placement of the gripper it looks fine but that's all I can say because that's the only thing the videos show.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply! What's other things I should consider other than the placement? I can get a better video, just let me know what you need to see. 

I think your technique and everything is fine. You set a gripper better than I do. Probably just need to build up some more strength the captains of crush 3 really ramps up at the very end the last couple mm are always going to be the hardest part of the close. Just keep getting stronger and you’ll get touch the handles on the 3 soon.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fist of Fury said:

Do this...

Thanks, I'll check it out.

58 minutes ago, Nuttgens said:

I think your technique and everything is fine. You set a gripper better than I do. Probably just need to build up some more strength the captains of crush 3 really ramps up at the very end the last couple mm are always going to be the hardest part of the close. Just keep getting stronger and you’ll get touch the handles on the 3 soon.

Great to hear I'm doing it correctly. Just gotta get stronger for that 3 then, thanks for the reply.

58 minutes ago, Hubgeezer said:

I have no comment, except to say Very Nice Work!

Appreciate that, thanks.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mikhael said:

Heavy Grip Grippers? 

Yes, exactly.

@mikhaelMy 200 and 250 are miles apart, the 250 is twice as hard as the 200. Even my 150 is harder than the 200, that's one of the reasons I got the COC grippers instead. They seem to be more consistent, atleast the few I've bought.

• Like 1

Cannot say the same, but I understand. Unfortunately the CoC are quite expensive, so I will have save some money to get them. Which one would you recommend for someone who can close HG200 3-5x? 

Edited by mikhael

3 hours ago, mikhael said:

Cannot say the same, but I understand. Unfortunately the CoC are quite expensive, so I will have save some money to get them. Which one would you recommend for someone who can close HG200 3-5x? 

If you don't care about certifying... Just buy the Vulcan V2 from David Horne.. Great gripper, great guy, the money goes to him and his wife, buy the crom and orange spring plus some thumbscrews.  

• Like 2

Just closed the number 3, the Paul Knight video definitely helped my set a ton. Thanks for that @Fist of Fury

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, EmilBB said:

Just closed the number 3, the Paul Knight video definitely helped my set a ton. Thanks for that @Fist of Fury

Nice, yes Paul is the king for that video in my opinion. There are some different ways some strong people are setting but for me and for most people I've seen this method is the best.

• Like 2