Bought two horse shoes 4 G5 bolts and one G8

Blacksmith513

I went to Tractor Supply Store, I got 2 5/16x5” G5 2 1/4x5” and one G8 5/16x5”.    They had no 6” ones. I also found St Croix horse shoes and figured I’d give it a go. 

Unfortunately, it’s gonna be a month or so until I can try. I got lasik and i can’t do anything heavy yet. I bent a couple 60d spiral last week and it made my eyes really hurt and it gave a me a good scare.  But I’m using my Wrist Developer on lower settings with low reps, that seems to be ok.

2C4B9075-2AD3-49A0-AD71-B207D160200B.jpeg

• Like 4

LOOKING GOOD

• Like 1

Those 5/16 bolts are heavy duty! Is your goal to bend then braced or unbraced?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bruce1337 said:

Those 5/16 bolts are heavy duty! Is your goal to bend then braced or unbraced?

My goal is unbraced, but i'd imagine I'll be doing it braced.. If I can even bend them yet. I will start with reverse, hopefully put a kink in it, then crush it braced somehow.

16 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

My goal is unbraced, but i'd imagine I'll be doing it braced.. If I can even bend them yet. I will start with reverse, hopefully put a kink in it, then crush it braced somehow.

I don't know how much experience you have with bending but a 5/16 G5 is a hard bend DOH, even at 7". And at 5" making it extremely hard!

The 5/16 G8 at 5" I think is unheard of at 5" unbraced. But will be a great braced bending goal. 

• Like 2

You should start with easier steel and progress gradually such as 60d (non spiral), Blue Nail, 1/4" G5, 1/4" G8, then some 5/16" CRS before you attempt any 5/16 bolts

• Like 3

1 minute ago, bruce1337 said:

I don't know how much experience you have with bending but a 5/16 G5 is a hard bend DOH, even at 7". And at 5" making it extremely hard!

The 5/16 G8 at 5" I think is unheard of at 5" unbraced. But will be a great braced bending goal. 

I'm still trying to learn the the size stock used for bending.  I figured at the very least I can get a good isometric workout.  

1 minute ago, bruce1337 said:

You should start with easier steel and progress gradually such as 60d (non spiral), Blue Nail, 1/4" G5, 1/4" G8, then some 5/16" CRS before you attempt any 5/16 bolts

Yes you are right....I've done a decent amount of 60d galvanized and some  60d spirals (those ones I snap).  I have absolutely no expectations with this stock. I'm going to buy some the beginners bag from FBBC soon. 

Plus the WD 2..

• Like 1

Here's a good reference on all typesx of steel for bending made by @devinhoo 

https://eatchalkgetbig.square.site/estimations

But what @bruce1337 said was very accurate and the actual progression I took . Best of luck !

• Like 4

8 hours ago, stranger said:

Here's a good reference on all typesx of steel for bending made by @devinhoo 

https://eatchalkgetbig.square.site/estimations

But what @bruce1337 said was very accurate and the actual progression I took . Best of luck !

Thanks... I actually tried to go on his site while I was in the store to see that chart, but I had no service there.  I sorta thought they would be real hard. But I was there and just bought them anyways.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

I'm still trying to learn the the size stock used for bending.  I figured at the very least I can get a good isometric workout.  

Don't attempt the hard bolts like that you will most likely just hurt yourself. Use a progression until you get experienced then you can start to attempt really hard isometric exercises.

Mcmaster.com is a good seller in the US who has a lot of bolts in different sizes. There you can find grade 5 and grade 8 bolts in many different lengths and you can also find drill rod in very small increments.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fist of Fury said:

Don't attempt the hard bolts like that you will most likely just hurt yourself. Use a progression until you get experienced then you can start to attempt really hard isometric exercises.

Mcmaster.com is a good seller in the US who has a lot of bolts in different sizes. There you can find grade 5 and grade 8 bolts in many different lengths and you can also find drill rod in very small increments.

Thank you.

would you guys recommend I buy the Iron Mind Tough as Nails bag, FBBC beginners bag or just buying individual stock from McMaster.

I have around 2000 60d nails. Maybe I should just focus on those for awhile and cut and inch off them.

48 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Thank you.

would you guys recommend I buy the Iron Mind Tough as Nails bag, FBBC beginners bag or just buying individual stock from McMaster.

I have around 2000 60d nails. Maybe I should just focus on those for awhile and cut and inch off them.

Go with Mcmaster. Don't bother with IM, they have no reasonable progression. going from blue to red is like going from #2 gripper to #3. Going from red to gold is like going from #3 to #4.

FBBC don't even do certs anymore so I don't see much reason to buy from there. @devinhoo has some steel. Contact him, I'm sure he can put together a good progression for you and you can also do certifications with the bars he sells.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

Go with Mcmaster. Don't bother with IM, they have no reasonable progression. going from blue to red is like going from #2 gripper to #3. Going from red to gold is like going from #3 to #4.

FBBC don't even do certs anymore so I don't see much reason to buy from there. @devinhoo has some steel. Contact him, I'm sure he can put together a good progression for you and you can also do certifications with the bars he sells.

Thanks again. Personally there’s always been some things that rubbed me the wrong way with  Ironmind and after that stuff with Graybill and the gold nail cert, they really made me dislike them even more. Didn’t really want to give them my money anyways.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/1/2022 at 8:53 AM, Blacksmith513 said:

Thanks again. Personally there’s always been some things that rubbed me the wrong way with  Ironmind and after that stuff with Graybill and the gold nail cert, they really made me dislike them even more. Didn’t really want to give them my money anyways.

What happened with someone trying to cert the gold?

7 hours ago, king crusher said:

I feel I don't have enough experience with bending to really have an opinion ... But on one of the Beyond the Bend podcasts and this is what I took out of it.. One of the guests got a got wise with  Ironmind....I guess he had good reason to though.. Anyways he sent in his gold nail cert video and they changed the rules so he couldn't cert. You can listen to the podcast to get the full story. I don't want to get accused of slander.

I don't know all the rules and requirements for certifying or who was really right or wrong.. But from what I took out it, they changed the rules because he pissed them off.. Which is real crappy on Ironminds account. A cert is a cert. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, king crusher said:

Yeah listen too Dereks latest episode on beyond the bend.

Short story: Derek precerted the gold nail, Ironmind didnt want Derek to cert so they stopped the certs and changed the rules so now its impossible.

I was also closing in on gold nail with a 15 degree kink on it in IMPs and I couldn't probably bend a red nail with their new rules.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Lennix said:

Yeah listen too Dereks latest episode on beyond the bend.

Short story: Derek precerted the gold nail, Ironmind didnt want Derek to cert so they stopped the certs and changed the rules so now its impossible.

I was also closing in on gold nail with a 15 degree kink on it in IMPs and I couldn't probably bend a red nail with their new rules.

Iron mind and their rule changes for certs. So low. Grippers and now bending. I’ll have to check their site for the new rules. 
where can I check out this podcast?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, king crusher said:

Iron mind and their rule changes for certs. So low. Grippers and now bending. I’ll have to check their site for the new rules. 
where can I check out this podcast?

Yup, it’s BS… Spotify or other streaming websites. Just type in beyond the bend and you will find a place to stream. A lot of members here have been interviewed. It’s a great podcast.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Yup, it’s BS… Spotify or other streaming websites. Just type in beyond the bend and you will find a place to stream. A lot of members here have been interviewed. It’s a great podcast.

I’m old school, I’ll have to see about downloading that. I think it’s free right?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, king crusher said:

I’m old school, I’ll have to see about downloading that. I think it’s free right?

It's on Youtube as well and I saw you use the platform for your own videos so it should be ok.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0md_BXZ4fsM

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, matek said:

It's on Youtube as well and I saw you use the platform for your own videos so it should be ok.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0md_BXZ4fsM

So I just watched the 1 hour video. That’s really insane to see the rules being changed as someone is trying to cert. it’s really unfortunate because Ironmind does make quality products but it’s hard to want to support them with the way they have handled themselves as it pertains to certs, both grippers and now nails. 

• Like 1