Selling customizing grippers

LABZSTS

Well @Cannon, would you ever consider stone or wood grippers?

11 hours ago, LABZSTS said:

Well @Cannon, would you ever consider stone or wood grippers?

Sure. Stone would be really cool if the handles were stable (like not prone to shattering).

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/5/2022 at 8:59 AM, Cannon said:

Sure. Stone would be really cool if the handles were stable (like not prone to shattering).

Any idea on how to do that? And wood they be harder or easier to manufacture? I imagine harder because it'll probably require new and unique tools

To make a hollow cylinder from stone you use a core drill to get the main piece then drill through the center, no new tooling required this is not a unique object just difficult to make because the average person doesn't have these tools, and breakage will be a huge problem.

• Like 2

Wood would be easy as heck. I would say we’ll almost certainly do a bunch of matching hardwood sets at some point. Heck, I’ll call it for 2023. I was a woodworker before I was a gripster. I made a bass guitar completely from scratch. Handles would be easy.  

5D733A13-6D69-49BE-A236-A7FCA3058A11.jpeg

C5E2545A-0BB0-4C63-A5CC-A3A5187550FE.jpeg

FDD4BD9D-289A-475D-8339-1C8415D9AD06.jpeg

• Like 12

I work with metal most days. I have always found working with a nice hard wood to be a relaxing therapy. It would be interesting to see a decent wooden handled gripper.

• Like 2

On 12/23/2022 at 8:34 AM, Cannon said:

Wood would be easy as heck. I would say we’ll almost certainly do a bunch of matching hardwood sets at some point. Heck, I’ll call it for 2023. I was a woodworker before I was a gripster. I made a bass guitar completely from scratch. Handles would be easy.  

That makes me a happy gripster. Not only could you make a new set of wood handled grippers, but the adjustable set you sell with smooth and krurled handles could come with wood ones too! I  can't wait to see what you guys do.

• 5 months later...
On 12/23/2022 at 8:34 AM, Cannon said:

Any development on wooded products? And would you guys consider different kinds of gripper stands?

6 hours ago, LABZSTS said:

Any development on wooded products? And would you guys consider different kinds of gripper stands?

Gripper stands other than @Cannon's wood display stand?  Just curious about size/shape.

For what it's worth, I have two in walnut beside my recliner.  It's the one bit of "man cave" still left in the tv room.  Otherwise it's kid central.  😄

Only tweak I made was I put 1/4" vinyl black caps on the legs to keep from scratching my side table.  Well..scratching it any more than it already is...  🙄

Walnut Gripper Stand.jpg

• Like 6

Here are a couple samples of gripper stands that I have made

image.jpg

• Like 5

8 hours ago, John Knowlton said:

image.jpg

Very cool, I will also try to make stand for my grippers, I have dried walnut planks from my tree. Although I need to level up my non-existent woodworking skills 😄 but I bought planer, jigsaw and chisels just for this.

IMG_3017.jpeg

• Like 5

9 hours ago, John Knowlton said:

45 minutes ago, martincerven said:

Very cool, I will also try to make stand for my grippers, I have dried walnut planks from my tree. Although I need to level up my non-existent woodworking skills 😄 but I bought planer, jigsaw and chisels just for this.

Nice John!  Those are cool.  I like the incorporation of a tray for a set block (or chalk or silver bullet or whatever else you may want handy).

And Martin...those walnut planks look like great material.  Hope your DIY project goes well!

• Like 1

I have two walnut stands I use CONSTANTLY. It’s easy to line up grippers and grab the stand over the top by a set of legs (like a fishing pole?). I am constantly moving around grippers and shuffling things for orders. They are so useful. Mine are pretty beat up, but these weather nicely. :)

• Like 4

On 6/3/2023 at 2:29 PM, LABZSTS said:

We’re just trying to get Standard back right now. :)

• Like 4

On 6/3/2023 at 9:03 PM, Douglas Carney said:

Gripper stands other than @Cannon's wood display stand?  Just curious about size/shape.

For what it's worth, I have two in walnut beside my recliner.  It's the one bit of "man cave" still left in the tv room.  Otherwise it's kid central.  😄

Only tweak I made was I put 1/4" vinyl black caps on the legs to keep from scratching my side table.  Well..scratching it any more than it already is...  🙄

Walnut Gripper Stand.jpg

They look great. I Mean, anythings better than what I built. It's very shotty and not put together well. At least it's long enough to hold all of my grippers and a few new ones. 

20230607_000325.jpg

20230607_000337.jpg

20230607_000345.jpg

20230607_000351.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, LABZSTS said:

They look great. I Mean, anythings better than what I built. It's very shotty and not put together well. At least it's long enough to hold all of my grippers and a few new ones. 

20230607_000325.jpg

Wow, I really like those colorfull grippers, care to give a source?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scottex92 said:

Wow, I really like those colorfull grippers, care to give a source?

Most of them are Grip Genie. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, LABZSTS said:

Nice gripper collection!  Looks like a good range for incremental increases.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Cannon said:

Most of them are Grip Genie. 

Correct. The other half are COC (painted or unpainted) with standard grippers and 2 Chinese Amazon ones with no real rating. Unrated ones are lined up by feel

I have a suggestion regarding customizing Standard grippers; I was speaking with a friend and he said he owns GHP's but never uses them because of how sharp they are and that they can cause skin tearing, and I mentioned that Standard is slightly sharper than GHP; while you can just file down the knurling on your own to your liking no problem (which I do), a lot of people such as my friend don't own a bench/vice to be able to hold a gripper in place to be able to file it with the force necessary, so for instance, this particular friend would not be interested in buying Standard grippers because it would be sharp and they would have no way of adjusting it (this friend is not local to me). If there was an option of purchasing them with knurling filed down so that it is "like/similar to CoC" etc etc I think that would make a lot more buyers; not that it needs to get overcomplicated with multiple knurling options, but even if there was just one single other knurling option for people that would prefer something softer more similar to CoC, I think there could be a lot of use in that. Maybe this could even be provided for GHP as a service, to make the back handle as smooth as the front handle - just an idea of another service you could add and charge for for people without tools at home.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, C8Myotome said:

I have a suggestion regarding customizing Standard grippers; I was speaking with a friend and he said he owns GHP's but never uses them because of how sharp they are and that they can cause skin tearing, and I mentioned that Standard is slightly sharper than GHP; while you can just file down the knurling on your own to your liking no problem (which I do), a lot of people such as my friend don't own a bench/vice to be able to hold a gripper in place to be able to file it with the force necessary, so for instance, this particular friend would not be interested in buying Standard grippers because it would be sharp and they would have no way of adjusting it (this friend is not local to me). If there was an option of purchasing them with knurling filed down so that it is "like/similar to CoC" etc etc I think that would make a lot more buyers; not that it needs to get overcomplicated with multiple knurling options, but even if there was just one single other knurling option for people that would prefer something softer more similar to CoC, I think there could be a lot of use in that. Maybe this could even be provided for GHP as a service, to make the back handle as smooth as the front handle - just an idea of another service you could add and charge for for people without tools at home.

Couldn't he just sand it down with paper? No crazy tools needed. Cannon did used to sell smooth handles for their standard line that was meant for the adjustable set. 

16 minutes ago, C8Myotome said:

Yes @LABZSTS.

It is very easy to make the knurling less sharp. If you buff the handles with very light sandpaper (same as used for wood, maybe 120 grit) then you can adjust to whatever you like. GO EASY, you can always take more. You don't need a bench or a vice or a file. Just a small little square of sandpaper. :) Again, go easy, it happens almost instantaneously and the bite is gone never to return. It's easy to go smoother, but after the handle is manufactured you cannot go sharper. 

Standard will always come with deadly knurling. :devil 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Cannon said:

Yes @LABZSTS.

It is very easy to make the knurling less sharp. If you buff the handles with very light sandpaper (same as used for wood, maybe 120 grit) then you can adjust to whatever you like. GO EASY, you can always take more. You don't need a bench or a vice or a file. Just a small little square of sandpaper. :) Again, go easy, it happens almost instantaneously and the bite is gone never to return. It's easy to go smoother, but after the handle is manufactured you cannot go sharper. 

Standard will always come with deadly knurling. :devil 

Amen. It's also why I'm excited about future wood handles. Sharp knurling is my favorite 😍