Bending feat from the Past - Clay Edgin

gripmaniac

Thought I’d dig up an obscure feat that most current benders are probably unaware of.

Despite the extensive use of our clunky search feature, I couldn’t find a discussion thread (fairly sure there was one though), but back in early 2005 Clay Edgin posted the below pic in his gallery:

Clay's 8" by 1/4" Grade 2 Bolt

gallery_2135_17_1104714242.jpg

GB Gallery Link

This impressed the heck out of me back then – and it still does now.  I’m not sure how to best define it . . .Scrolled?. . .Looped?. . . .Fish Tailed?  What do you think?

You guys in North America are truly spoilt for choice when it comes to bolt grades and lengths as 7" or 8” by 1/4” bolts (of any grade) don’t seem to exist in most other places – including Australia. Not suggesting I could have (ever) managed to do it - the technique/strategy required bamboozles me (anyone have a theory?), and the crushdown strength required would definitely have stopped me dead. 

It’s only a 1/4” mild steel bolt. . . . .surely 17 years later someone out there with access to these length bolts could do justice to replicating the feat?

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Wannagrip said:

I wonder where he is today?

He is really active on Instagram under the handle @edgindary. Also active in Armlifting and powerlifting. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, gripmaniac said:

Thought I’d dig up an obscure feat that most current benders are probably unaware of.

Despite the extensive use of our clunky search feature, I couldn’t find a discussion thread (fairly sure there was one though), but back in early 2005 Clay Edgin posted the below pic in his gallery:

Clay's 8" by 1/4" Grade 2 Bolt

gallery_2135_17_1104714242.jpg

GB Gallery Link

This impressed the heck out of me back then – and it still does now.  I’m not sure how to best define it . . .Scrolled?. . .Looped?. . . .Fish Tailed?  What do you think?

You guys in North America are truly spoilt for choice when it comes to bolt grades and lengths as 7" or 8” by 1/4” bolts (of any grade) don’t seem to exist in most other places – including Australia. Not suggesting I could have (ever) managed to do it - the technique/strategy required bamboozles me (anyone have a theory?), and the crushdown strength required would definitely have stopped me dead. 

It’s only a 1/4” mild steel bolt. . . . .surely 17 years later someone out there with access to these length bolts could do justice to replicating the feat?

Trade off is we dont got the cool metric sizes and no one over here rates steel. So to get any sort of number on your bends and be a cool kid you gotta buy from David Horne and pay that absolutely abysmal UK shipping charge. 

• 4 months later...

Agreed, an amazing bend for sure! 
Clay was big inspiration to me as well when I started bending about 10-years ago! 

The grade-5 bolt named after him is still a huge bend!!  I bent a 6x 5/16 Edgin years ago & the crush was a beast… one of my hardest bends ever! 

Cheers! 👊🏼💯

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

His episode of Beyond the Bend was really interesting too. It would be cool to see him come back to bending at some point. 

• Like 5

• 1 year later...

That really was a great bend, super strong.