Twisting Grippers

Digdogz

Dear All,

Still on the quest for my #2, I am now down to under 1/2 cm and am experiencing a new problem of the grippers seemigly 'twisting' in my hand.

I thought I had the setting of it locked down but as I intensify the level of my gripper work-out this twisting is becoming more apparent!

Any advice would be gratefully recieved as I can't seem to reason why its started to happen.

Kind regards,

Digz.

Chalk and work on the set even more. If you are going to set a gripper, you can never be to good at it. Plus, heavier gripper will twist until you have the strength to stabilize it.

Working on the set is what I'll do, I think this is a kind of hand conditioning unto itself, if my blisters of skin caught by the sping is anything to go by! :whacked

I do have chalk, I lay off it on the lighter grippers and pick it up when I progress.

I am just waiting for a delivery of my new RB180, which I believe will be the catalyst for me mashing that #2!

For all my training, get this, my twin picks up the #2 yesterday and despite his infrequent training gets it to just about as close as I ever have :blush

I've already changed my regime to lay off a bit more and get more rest.

Cheers for yo help guys.

Digz.

For all my training, get this, my twin picks up the #2 yesterday and despite his infrequent training gets it to just about as close as I ever have :blush

I know how you feel. My untrained brother picked up 143# on my 2.5" dumbell the other day. That is uncomfortably close to my PR, and he doesn't even lift weights, and on top of that has a sedentary lifestyle.

My brother has closed the #3 with about 5 weeks of real training! The only difference is I'm very happy about it. There has never been question about who is stronger. He's been around 300lbs ever since he wreseled heavyweight in college.

As far as twisting grippers goes: Bearcat is right on. Set is important, and as you get stronger the gripper will twist less.

-HH

When I started gripper training I experienced the same twist, and even now when closing the #3, the final close seemed to be more about preventing the twist than actually closing it.

As Heath said, the set is key. A good set will find the ideal placement in your hand, preventing most of the twist from distracting from your close.

I know how you feel. My untrained brother picked up 143# on my 2.5" dumbell the other day. That is uncomfortably close to my PR, and he doesn't even lift weights, and on top of that has a sedentary lifestyle.

The exact same thing happened with me and my twin. I loaded up my 2.5" handle to my PR after a good warm up and shakily lifted it a few inches. He then grabbed it, cold, lifted it to full lock out, and said "Yea, i see what you mean, that is hard". Doesn't lift weights, sedentary lifestyle... From this observation, i would conclude that beer and cigarettes are key to hand strength. :angry:

From this observation, i would conclude that beer and cigarettes are key to hand strength.  :angry:

LOL hahaha

Nah Bender, because if that was the case I would have mashed the WT by now! ;)

Identical or different, You and your bro.

This could be quite an interesting look at genetics and predetermined strength!

Digz.

A propoer set is very important to me. I have noticed that every time I start having trouble closing a gripper I previously mastered, it was because of poor setting technique. It seems like I have to actually practice my set every so often to keep it in good form. When I do that, my gripping peaks.

Tom

Identical or different, You and your bro.

We're identical, but he carries about 40lbs of non-lean body weight than I do, weighing a fluffy 240. Weight matters, apparently more than grip training? Who knows. I could have fried my hands from too much training too.

as everyone has said, work the crap outta your set technique.when your set is right, yoiull know its gonna closebefore you really bear down on it. also, i think your throwin your thumb forward really helps to keep the gripper where you want it.

just a guess :unsure

i read everyones posts and try theverythingi read here, and see what works for me