Assuming Equal RGC Rating, which do you find are a more Difficult close, GHP or COC grippers?

mcalpine1986

In your opinion, Which do you find are a more difficult close if the RGC ratings are equal, GHP or COC? 

The one with a wider spread. The rating would go down if it wasn’t wide. There is potential for a wide gripper to be perceived as “harder” if your set is not up to snuff. 

• Like 1

GHP easily

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Chez said:

GHP easily

Same for me!

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Cannon said:

The one with a wider spread. The rating would go down if it wasn’t wide. There is potential for a wide gripper to be perceived as “harder” if your set is not up to snuff. 

Thanks for chiming in. Wider grippers sure feel harder. I find the sweep harder on GHPs but smooth all the way through whereas COCs seem to ramp up harder towards the end. 

How about say you had a coc 3 and a GHP 7 both say 145 RGC and an equal spread?

21 minutes ago, Chez said:

GHP easily

5 minutes ago, Stephen Anderson said:

Same for me!

Thanks Guys. Any particular reason? Is it because GHPs are generally wider? 

39 minutes ago, mcalpine1986 said:

How about say you had a coc 3 and a GHP 7 both say 145 RGC and an equal spread?

I would say there will always be an identifiable reason. And almost always width.  

Next I would say the one with smoother handles will be perceived as harder. After that I would say the one with the deeper mount will be perceived as harder. But we're really getting down to differences that would be hard to detect IMO and definitely attribute to the grippers themselves. What I mean by that is that these differences are so fiddly that it's just as likely the second gripper would be perceived as harder because you already did the first one and are not 100% fresh. Or it is an unquantifiable mix of spread/knurling/mount/condition. I think this would take a lot of testing with the SAME grippers over numerous workouts to arrive at an unsure conclusion such as "most of the time this one feels harder". I do not necessarily agree that you can say GHP always feels harder.       

And I would say the place where this expert eye matters the most is a table of contest grippers that is a hodgepodge of numbers/brands/condition. Usually the promoter's personal collection. If I'm on my 3rd attempt--my goal before a stretch 4th attempt--I'm not picking any HG. I'm also not picking anything wide if I can help it. I would also avoid RB if possible because the larger diameter handles do not suit my average hands. I'm going to look for a CoC or GHP near my known max and may skip easier choices as a strategy even if they were the number I was thinking. This matters less in a set like CPW offers with is 5lbs jumps and 100% CoC grippers. We did 5lbs jumps for exactly this reason. You better believe the 185 #3.5 is a wider gripper than the 165 #3.5. But with 5lbs jumps and near your limit, you're not likely to pick the 190 #4 just because the 185 #3.5 is slightly wider. The 190 will feel harder for sure.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Another element to consider is coil diameter. Both RB 240 and RB 260 average 136, but all other things equal I bet many would say the 260 "feels" harder. The 260 has a crazy small, tight coil which results in a very stiff ride from start to finish. If you have tons of open hand strength to accompany your crush then maybe you won't notice. 

Many do not know that RB 210, 240 and 260 is all the same wire size, just with different coil diameters. The 210 coil looks absurdly huge next to the 260. 

This is also actually how we "adjusted down" the ratings on Standard grippers (aside from carefully controlling the mounts). Standard Iron is the same spring size as GHP 7 and CoC3 but averages 137 because the coil is just slightly larger. Nothing innovative, we just wanted them to fill a gap not readily serviced by other brands. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Cannon said:

I would say there will always be an identifiable reason. And almost always width.  

Next I would say the one with smoother handles will be perceived as harder. After that I would say the one with the deeper mount will be perceived as harder. But we're really getting down to differences that would be hard to detect IMO and definitely attribute to the grippers themselves. What I mean by that is that these differences are so fiddly that it's just as likely the second gripper would be perceived as harder because you already did the first one and are not 100% fresh. Or it is an unquantifiable mix of spread/knurling/mount/condition. I think this would take a lot of testing with the SAME grippers over numerous workouts to arrive at an unsure conclusion such as "most of the time this one feels harder". I do not necessarily agree that you can say GHP always feels harder.       

And I would say the place where this expert eye matters the most is a table of contest grippers that is a hodgepodge of numbers/brands/condition. Usually the promoter's personal collection. If I'm on my 3rd attempt--my goal before a stretch 4th attempt--I'm not picking any HG. I'm also not picking anything wide if I can help it. I would also avoid RB if possible because the larger diameter handles do not suit my average hands. I'm going to look for a CoC or GHP near my known max and may skip easier choices as a strategy even if they were the number I was thinking. This matters less in a set like CPW offers with is 5lbs jumps and 100% CoC grippers. We did 5lbs jumps for exactly this reason. You better believe the 185 #3.5 is a wider gripper than the 165 #3.5. But with 5lbs jumps and near your limit, you're not likely to pick the 190 #4 just because the 185 #3.5 is slightly wider. The 190 will feel harder for sure.  

Thanks and id agree on smoother handles feeling harder, i dont have the meatiest palms so i love harsher knurling like on GHPs and your standards to keep the gripper in place. 

Im just curious to peoples opinions tbh. Now i have a GHP 6 at 125lbs and my coc 2.5 is 126lbs that im about 3mm away from closing it will be interesting to see how i do with this GHP 6 when i try it. I know that 1lb can make a difference though and also th3 GHP 6 is 76mm spread and the coc 2.5 72mm spread so on paper the COC should be easier in that way. 

Edited by mcalpine1986
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Depends on the gripper, but in general COC are harder for me becuase GHP's have way better knurling.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

Depends on the gripper, but in general COC are harder for me becuase GHP's have way better knurling.

I dont have a coc and GHP of the same RGC but i agree that the knurling on the GHP helps a lot. I find once you have trained on GHPs that Cocs feel almost slick. 

1 hour ago, mcalpine1986 said:

Thanks Guys. Any particular reason? Is it because GHPs are generally wider? 

Wide and the set and sweep just feel stiffer. They always feel harder than their rating 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great topic. I asked a similar question maybe 8-12 months ago on the Grip Board. I agree 100% with Chez and Stephen that for me by far the GHP's are harder. My best guess as to why that is...

wider spread

closing it feels hard from beginning to end with no real "easy part"

At least with the CoC's I find they flex a bit more or have more give at the very initial part of the sweep and I think this allows me to harness some extra power heading into the close(which I do agree does ramp up as opposed to GHP's). I do have a thick thumb pad and hand so perhaps that plays a role 🤔 

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Bigfoot Grip said:

Great topic. I asked a similar question maybe 8-12 months ago on the Grip Board. I agree 100% with Chez and Stephen that for me by far the GHP's are harder. My best guess as to why that is...

wider spread

closing it feels hard from beginning to end with no real "easy part"

At least with the CoC's I find they flex a bit more or have more give at the very initial part of the sweep and I think this allows me to harness some extra power heading into the close(which I do agree does ramp up as opposed to GHP's). I do have a thick thumb pad and hand so perhaps that plays a role 🤔 

I must of missed that one. GHPs are wider but i have some pretty wide cocs. All my GHPs are 3" or 76mm yet i have 2 cocs 3s at 77 and 78mm wide. 

I agree on the GHPs being consistent throughout the close, tough from start to finish. 

I also think that hand or palm thickness and thumb pad size plays a part yes. I have large but not that thick palms so i need harsher knurling to help the gripper stay in place so in that respect GHPs feel easier but i find the final few mm of the close harder on cocs. 

• Like 1

Like so many other things, I feel this is a matter of personal preference/experience. It's tough to make generalizations that hold up. As you guys are touching on, I think there are more compelling reasons about how people are different.  

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, mcalpine1986 said:

I must of missed that one. GHPs are wider but i have some pretty wide cocs. All my GHPs are 3" or 76mm yet i have 2 cocs 3s at 77 and 78mm wide. 

I agree on the GHPs being consistent throughout the close, tough from start to finish. 

I also think that hand or palm thickness and thumb pad size plays a part yes. I have large but not that thick palms so i need harsher knurling to help the gripper stay in place so in that respect GHPs feel easier but i find the final few mm of the close harder on cocs. 

Link to my thread 

Yeah what your saying makes alot of sense about knurling. I'm not a fan of the GHP knurling because I find it's over kill for what I need. I like CoC and don't find they move around in my hand, but my hands are thick from GS training and maybe my occupation to an extent so this probably plays a role. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cannon said:

Like so many other things, I feel this is a matter of personal preference/experience. It's tough to make generalizations that hold up. As you guys are touching on, I think there are more compelling reasons about how people are different.  

Agreed. I just like to discuss training and see what others opinions are on this matter, i just find it interesting. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bigfoot Grip said:

Link to my thread 

Yeah what your saying makes alot of sense about knurling. I'm not a fan of the GHP knurling because I find it's over kill for what I need. I like CoC and don't find they move around in my hand, but my hands are thick from GS training and maybe my occupation to an extent so this probably plays a role. 

Thats a great thread, some greats views on it in there.

Everyone has there preferences but i think the the GHP is spot on for me. My hand thickness is increasing but its slow going. The meatier they get the more i may find the knurling less of a benefit as time goes on. 

Hopefully others may chime in with their thoughts. I find it interesting, im pretty addicted to grippers atm. I used to find them my least favourite aspect of grip and now they are my favourite 🤣

• Like 1

At this early stage in my journey, CoCs are by far the easiest to close for me. They just feel the best in my hands, all around, from set to close, even with the relatively smooth knurling. Perhaps this will change with time and experience, including growth and adaptation in the hand and forearm strength and size.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Jared P said:

At this early stage in my journey, CoCs are by far the easiest to close for me. They just feel the best in my hands, all around, from set to close, even with the relatively smooth knurling. Perhaps this will change with time and experience, including growth and adaptation in the hand and forearm strength and size.

Thanks for chiming in with your thoughts. I see you have a GHP 10 rated 260lbs! That must be a great paperweight 🤣 what does it feel like to try to close it? 

Edited by mcalpine1986
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, mcalpine1986 said:

Thanks for chiming in with your thoughts. I see you have a GHP 10 rated 260lbs! That must be a great paperweight 🤣 what does it feel like to try to close it? 

Haha, my 260 GHP 10 is little tough - must be the width! 🤣

On a serious note, it feels like a brick. I can maybe budge it a 1/2". It sure looks nice on my gripper stand though. I cannot fathom that people like David Shamey and Nathan Holle can even get as close as they have.

3 hours ago, mcalpine1986 said:

I dont have a coc and GHP of the same RGC but i agree that the knurling on the GHP helps a lot. I find once you have trained on GHPs that Cocs feel almost slick. 

Yup, this was the main reason I was able to close GHP7's before COC#3's on every level.

Knurling is super important for me. With GHP's I don't even need to use chalk. I used a really old double stamped #3 when training for MM1 (because I heard that the MM1 had really smooth handles) and I don't regret doing that. I think the GHP7 I had at the same period was easier than the MM1.

On 4/21/2022 at 7:00 PM, Jared P said:

Haha, my 260 GHP 10 is little tough - must be the width! 🤣

On a serious note, it feels like a brick. I can maybe budge it a 1/2". It sure looks nice on my gripper stand though. I cannot fathom that people like David Shamey and Nathan Holle can even get as close as they have.

I bet it does, most would barely move it i bet 🤣. Nathan holle said he as closed a GHP 10 before but not sure of the rating. Shamey is like a cyborg lol. 

• Like 1

On 4/21/2022 at 7:24 PM, Fist of Fury said:

Yup, this was the main reason I was able to close GHP7's before COC#3's on every level.

Knurling is super important for me. With GHP's I don't even need to use chalk. I used a really old double stamped #3 when training for MM1 (because I heard that the MM1 had really smooth handles) and I don't regret doing that. I think the GHP7 I had at the same period was easier than the MM1.

Agreed id say that GHPs are the only grippers that the knurling is aggressive enough for no chalk. CPW Standards are not far behind though, they have some nice bite to the knurling but ive not tried with no chalk. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mcalpine1986 said:

Agreed id say that GHPs are the only grippers that the knurling is aggressive enough for no chalk. CPW Standards are not far behind though, they have some nice bite to the knurling but ive not tried with no chalk. 

I've never tried those. I've had many GHP's and knurling actually varies on them. Some older ones I've had (bought new) had just the standard aggressive knurling GHP's are known for but one of them had super aggressive knurling, even more than usual.

Tetting grippers usually have aggressive knurling as well.

I think there's some variations on COC's as well, however, even when they have good knurling they are still not even close to GHP and Tetting.

• Like 1