Lightest person certified on COC #3?

LABZSTS

From what I heard from Iron mind specifically on twitter, they said Satohisa Nakada was the lightest guy to do it. However, in their tweet they only said less than 150 lbs. I've seen some sources and even people on here say he weighed as low as 137lbs. I wanna know just as confirmation, but also because I wanna be lightest person to close the 3 and certify.

It seems well referenced that it’s Nakada including this post from Heath Sexton that 137lbs was confirmed in MILO magazine. 

In 1998 Nakada would have been able to use his own gripper and no credit card set. He reportedly had smaller hands.  

The credit card rule was announced on March 12, 2004. At this time you could still certify on your own gripper.

Then on June 27, 2006, Tex Henderson was the first to certify on the #3 with a credit card AND a new gripper out of the package.

• Thanks 2

14 hours ago, LABZSTS said:

From what I heard from Iron mind specifically on twitter, they said Satohisa Nakada was the lightest guy to do it. However, in their tweet they only said less than 150 lbs. I've seen some sources and even people on here say he weighed as low as 137lbs. I wanna know just as confirmation, but also because I wanna be lightest person to close the 3 and certify.

What do you weigh?  And, if more than 137, you might still be lightest under "new" rules, which of course aren't that new anymore.  FYI, I was about 180 for my cert in November.   I'm just guessing, but I bet someone lighter than me has probably certed under the new rules, so you'd at least have to be lighter than 180 -- but you probably are, or you wouldn't be asking about 137.  Good luck!

Edited by Vinnie
  • Like 1

I was looking at the CoC list since Tex Henderson for a probable "lightest" under the current rules.

My guess is Teemu Ilvesniemi. He is listed as 82kg or 181 lbs in his Mash Monster 2 profile which was only 10 days apart from the date of his CoC3 cert in 2007.

Ivan Cuk is also light, but listed at 185 lbs in his profile. Heavier than Teemu. 

I looked at A LOT of profiles and will comb through a few more later. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Vinnie said:

What do you weigh?  And, if more than 137, you might still be lightest under "new" rules, which of course aren't that new anymore.  FYI, I was about 180 for my cert in November.   I'm just guessing, but I bet someone lighter than me has probably certed under the new rules, so you'd at least have to be lighter than 180 -- but you probably are, or you wouldn't be asking about 137.  Good luck!

Then I hope I do get their soon. My weight is only 120lbs (54kg). So far I've only closed a COC #2 and Grip genie 4, but not with a card. I still have a long way to go to even closing a 2.5, let alone a 3

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LABZSTS said:

Then I hope I do get their soon. My weight is only 120lbs (54kg). So far I've only closed a COC #2 and Grip genie 4, but not with a card. I still have a long way to go to even closing a 2.5, let alone a 3

How long have you been doing grippers?  Do you know about the Mash Monster certifications?  Getting the first one, MM0, is a lot easier than getting the COC certification from Ironmind because you can use your own COC 3 or GHP 7 and close it from parallel, without passing anything through it.  It is a good goal to have now, while the IM cert is still far off.  Then MM1 and MM2, which are harder than MM0, are still easier than the COC 3 cert, so you will have good goals along the way.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Cannon said:

I was looking at the CoC list since Tex Henderson for a probable "lightest" under the current rules.

My guess is Teemu Ilvesniemi. He is listed as 82kg or 181 lbs in his Mash Monster 2 profile which was only 10 days apart from the date of his CoC3 cert in 2007.

Ivan Cuk is also light, but listed at 185 lbs in his profile. Heavier than Teemu. 

I am usually a little under 181, but I don't think we did a weigh-in right around the cert.  I certed in November after I had been sick for two weeks, so I could have been under 180.  I am 180 today.

Edited by Vinnie
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

I am usually a little under 181, but I don't think we did a weigh-in right around the cert.  I certed in November after I had been sick for two weeks, so I could have been under 180.  I am 180 today.

When I did my MM2 I was 185, but that was in 2020, early COVID time, and I had ballooned up to my heaviest ever in part because I had no arm lifting comps (where I have to make 175) and in part because I was developing heart failure that presented in March 2021.  After my hospital stay I was down to 172 and have not been much over 180 since - I made 175 for an arm lifting comp in July 2021, made 83kg easily for grip comp in December 2021 without worrying about cutting, so I think 180 is a fair estimate.  Too bad they don't ask for exact weight, but then again, it would always be self-reported and it is more about hand size and forearm size and training anyway.  But interesting.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Cannon said:

I'm pretty sure 120s would be the lightest MM0 ...

4 hours ago, LABZSTS said:

I just checked your profile and I see you are only 19!  You will likely get stronger just with age (but obviously even moreso with training).  Grip does not seem to max out young.  And it outlasts other more youthful strengths, like speed and stamina.  People like Tanner Merkle who were very strong already in their 20s are even stronger at 30, and oldsters like me are still improving at grip in their 50s, at least with training.

I would suspect that at 19, you are likely still going to put on some weight just because you are still filling out as an adult, and you could put on weight and still be the lightest, so I would focus more on the training and let yourself beef up aa little if that seems natural and healthy for you otherwise.

Good luck!

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

It could be you Vinnie!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cannon said:

It could be you Vinnie!!!

Maybe, but I know I am not the oldest!  Sorin did it at around 56.  I was only 52.  Not sure if anyone else in their 50s did it, although I am pretty sure there are guys who did it younger and still could now that they are older, but already did it so they don't have to.

Edited by Vinnie
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, Vinnie said:

How long have you been doing grippers?  Do you know about the Mash Monster certifications?  Getting the first one, MM0, is a lot easier than getting the COC certification from Ironmind because you can use your own COC 3 or GHP 7 and close it from parallel, without passing anything through it.  It is a good goal to have now, while the IM cert is still far off.  Then MM1 and MM2, which are harder than MM0, are still easier than the COC 3 cert, so you will have good goals along the way.

I've been doing them since the December of 2020. That's when I bought my own Chinese brand gripper that claimed 150lbs. I know nothing of the mash monster set tho. 

10 hours ago, Vinnie said:

I just checked your profile and I see you are only 19!  You will likely get stronger just with age (but obviously even moreso with training).  Grip does not seem to max out young.  And it outlasts other more youthful strengths, like speed and stamina.  People like Tanner Merkle who were very strong already in their 20s are even stronger at 30, and oldsters like me are still improving at grip in their 50s, at least with training.

I would suspect that at 19, you are likely still going to put on some weight just because you are still filling out as an adult, and you could put on weight and still be the lightest, so I would focus more on the training and let yourself beef up aa little if that seems natural and healthy for you otherwise.

Good luck!

Thank you! And good to know. I plan on getting much stronger. I'll probably stay a similar size since I have a hard time gaining and have been the same weight for 4 years.

14 hours ago, LABZSTS said:

Thank you! And good to know. I plan on getting much stronger. I'll probably stay a similar size since I have a hard time gaining and have been the same weight for 4 years.

I promise you -- and I think others who are older than you will be constrained to agree -- that (for most people) it gets easier and easier to gain weight the older you get lol.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

I promise you -- and I think others who are older than you will be constrained to agree -- that (for most people) it gets easier and easier to gain weight the older you get lol.

Easier to gain the bad weight and harder to gain the good weight. Life isn't fair :D

Seriously tho, that's why I advice everyone who's looking to do certifications to do them as quickly as they can. You never know what happens in the future. Get all the certs you can while you can, don't wait.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Then I have a question for you grip vets. How long do you think it'll take me to close a 3 specifically? 

6 minutes ago, LABZSTS said:

Then I have a question for you grip vets. How long do you think it'll take me to close a 3 specifically? 

I would say the average amount of time it takes is 2-3 years. It can take a week or it can take 10 years or more. 2-3 years is just the average time based on the observations I've done.

For a light person it might take longer than average, unless you have very good genetics for crush strength. That's the most important factor as long as you put in the work.

• Like 1

Probably not that great genetics. A lot of my family members are mechanics or have done construction related jobs. Probably doesn't mean much. However I will definitely put in the work for it

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LABZSTS said:

Probably not that great genetics. A lot of my family members are mechanics or have done construction related jobs. Probably doesn't mean much. However I will definitely put in the work for it

I'd say most men at around 200 lbs or more can reach #3 level at least with a parallel set if they put in the work. For lighter people maybe not the majority. Hard to say at what BW it starts to get harder but it will get harder and harder the lighter you get, that's for sure.

A reasonable time frame is three years I would say. It can go faster of course but it can also take much longer. I was stuck at around 125-130 lbs RGC closes for more than a year. So don't give up if it takes a long time. You can still find a way to progress even if it doesn't seem like you will.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

I'd say most men at around 200 lbs or more can reach #3 level at least with a parallel set if they put in the work. For lighter people maybe not the majority. Hard to say at what BW it starts to get harder but it will get harder and harder the lighter you get, that's for sure.

A reasonable time frame is three years I would say. It can go faster of course but it can also take much longer. I was stuck at around 125-130 lbs RGC closes for more than a year. So don't give up if it takes a long time. You can still find a way to progress even if it doesn't seem like you will.

Hopefully soon then

3 hours ago, LABZSTS said:

I'm new to the game as you, but what I can tell you is that MMS/parallel and CCS are completely different. I can full effort MMS a #3 now, but nowhere near to a CCS.

I would follow @Vinnie's advice and go after the MashMonster certs. This is my plan as well. It's better anyway than the arbitrary CCS (that being said, I also want to certify in the future...)

• Like 2

For me, 180 pounds, always had strong arms but never worked out. 

I was closing the 1.5 when I discovered grippers (at age 47!), with no set, and when I realized you could set them (after I googled around and saw this forum for example), I closed the 2 with a pretty wide set, more than parallel but maybe not credit card wide.

From there it took me 6 months of over-training (wasn't a great idea) to close a hard 2.5 (rated 132) from a wide set.  My elbow was hurting and I quit.  I still didn't know parallel was a way to close.

After maybe another year I started working back up to the 2.5 again, didn't take as long and I was more careful, and I got more active on the grip board and met some real life gripsters to train with them.  From there it took another few months to close an easier 3 from a little wider than parallel.  Maybe 2 years from the 1.5/2 to the 3, with a little break in the middle where I didn't train.

Then it took another two years to start pushing past closing a 3 from parallel, and another year after that to close a 3 from a credit card set.  Now about 5 years into grip, my best close from parallel is a very easy 3.5 rated 165, and my best credit card set is a hard 3 rated 152.  I can't do either of those things all the time though, like if you asked me today I can't, but that's what I was up to at my best and I think I could get to that again if I had to with a few weeks training.   Not sure if I could go much farther, but who knows!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 10 months later...

I never asked, but how DO I certify on MM0 and where? Also what're the rules? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LABZSTS said:

I never asked, but how DO I certify on MM0 and where? Also what're the rules? 

• Like 2