Tennis elbow prevention during heavy grip training

Alex K

Hello everyone! I noticed that I occasionally experience a mild case of tennis elbow when doing heavy, and most importantly frequent grip work with grippers. Although it's nothing major, and usually disappears on its own within a few days, I was wondering what I could do to prevent it from appearing in the first place. Another exercise that seems to trigger it a bit are reverse curls.

I usually train extensors, but on a much less frequent and regular basis - could this be the key to solving the issue? I've seen some posts on this topic before as well, where some people did grip work with the grippers upside down and it somehow resolved the issue.

Just wanted to hear your opinions :)

Extensor training is the best to avoid it IMO.

Also, while doing the gripper closes hold your arm still and don't have it fully extended. If you're moving your arm and or have it fully extended while doing hard closes it will increase the risk for tennis elbow.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Alexander Koss said:

Hello everyone! I noticed that I occasionally experience a mild case of tennis elbow when doing heavy, and most importantly frequent grip work with grippers. Although it's nothing major, and usually disappears on its own within a few days, I was wondering what I could do to prevent it from appearing in the first place. Another exercise that seems to trigger it a bit are reverse curls.

I usually train extensors, but on a much less frequent and regular basis - could this be the key to solving the issue? I've seen some posts on this topic before as well, where some people did grip work with the grippers upside down and it somehow resolved the issue.

Just wanted to hear your opinions :)

High rep band pushdowns 50-100 reps per set with a light resistance band.

Works wonders.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DevilErik said:

High rep band pushdowns 50-100 reps per set with a light resistance band.

Works wonders.

Do you mean regular triceps pushdowns? Very interesting... maybe it stimulates blood flow in that area with that light resistance. I will definitely try it out!

16 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

Extensor training is the best to avoid it IMO.

Also, while doing the gripper closes hold your arm still and don't have it fully extended. If you're moving your arm and or have it fully extended while doing hard closes it will increase the risk for tennis elbow.

Definitely going to take it more serious now, and the suggestion on not having the arm extended! I sometimes did that on accident when doing some heavy closes, I'll make sure to be careful with that :)

Thanks guys!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alexander Koss said:

Do you mean regular triceps pushdowns? Very interesting... maybe it stimulates blood flow in that area with that light resistance. I will definitely try it out!

Definitely going to take it more serious now, and the suggestion on not having the arm extended! I sometimes did that on accident when doing some heavy closes, I'll make sure to be careful with that :)

Thanks guys!

I meant tricep pushdowns with a very light resistance band but regular ones are fine I guess.

Exactly! It's for the blood flow.

Tendons have poor blood supply that's why you need the ultra high reps to fix the problem.

Also don't pin your elbows to your side while doing them because that will only aggravate your tendonitis.

Edited by DevilErik
Clarity
  • Like 2

Heavy gripper closes/attempts with the arm fully extended is an almost guarantee for tennis elbow the day after.

• Like 3

I think the triceps pushdown effect also explains how extensor training helps a lot, rather not through the muscles growing from training heavily, but due to the major pump you get when training higher reps. It must hit the tendon related to tennis elbow with a ton of circulation! :)  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Alexander Koss said:

I think the triceps pushdown effect also explains how extensor training helps a lot, rather not through the muscles growing from training heavily, but due to the major pump you get when training higher reps. It must hit the tendon related to tennis elbow with a ton of circulation! :)  

dont forget to stretch your wrists.... get on your hands and knees and stretch them... makes a huge difference.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Fist of Fury said:

Heavy gripper closes/attempts with the arm fully extended is an almost guarantee for tennis elbow the day after.

Definitely this. Especially if you also do some heavy pulls around your grip training where full extension is almost unavoidable. 

Also, really high rep wrist exercises (all six directions) with bands tend to help a lot. 

And if you do reverse curls, it's the best to avoid full extension there as well. 

• Like 2

Extensor training for sure.  Rubber bands or even sand bucket training are two cheap tools to use.

• Like 3