2022 US Grip Sport National Championship - 6/18/22

Jedd Johnson

Predictions/goals for Nationals anyone?

I will be in the 83kg weight class as I have always been.  I expect something like:

block set grippers: RGC 150 (this is my comp PR and I think I can match it because I did it a couple days ago)

saxon bar (if 3 inch): 175-185 (my comp PR is 187 but I haven't touched any pinch in months)

2-inch NN: 345-355 (my comp PR on this is 325, but it was the first time I had ever tried it and I didn't stand on plates then; I eked out 385 once in training, a long time ago and when I was at my best, so I think in between those marks is most likely)

LBH: 160ish (my comp PR is 167)

I am pretty sure I won't break any of my own PRs because of the lack of training, so I will hope for better than the above but happy with anything and I'll get a good idea of where I am when not training.  Then maybe I can ramp it up for King Kong.

Can't wait for next weekend, guys.  Bro bonding with my almost-grown son among gripsters, on Father's Day weekend, and then maybe drive by a couple of colleges to take a look since he has to think about applying soon (he will be a junior in high school next year).  Good times.

• Like 5

On 6/11/2022 at 6:12 PM, Vinnie said:

I will be in the 83kg weight class as I have always been.  I expect something like:

block set grippers: RGC 150 (this is my comp PR and I think I can match it because I did it a couple days ago)

saxon bar (if 3 inch): 175-185 (my comp PR is 187 but I haven't touched any pinch in months)

2-inch NN: 345-355 (my comp PR on this is 325, but it was the first time I had ever tried it and I didn't stand on plates then; I eked out 385 once in training, a long time ago and when I was at my best, so I think in between those marks is most likely)

I am pretty sure I won't break any of my own PRs because of the lack of training, so I will hope for better than the above but happy with anything and I'll get a good idea of where I am when not training.  Then maybe I can ramp it up for King Kong.

Can't wait for next weekend, guys.  Bro bonding with my almost-grown son among gripsters, on Father's Day weekend, and then maybe drive by a couple of colleges to take a look since he has to think about applying soon (he will be a junior in high school next year).  Good times.

Great numbers Vin! I just got the green light so I'll be there and this'll be my first comp but I'll give some predictions a shot

Weight class 120k

Block set- 150-155. Haven't trained block set but got my 158 a few times and I think I got my 164 so we'll see.

Saxon bar- 160?- never used one but I tried to simulate it with a 3x4 pinch block off a 8" pin and stood on bumper plates

2" NN- 350?- I've never used this either but I got 185 one hand righty and broke it off the ground a good bit lefty. 

LBH-160~ my PR is 170 but I got super close to 178. We'll see how my hand holds up after the other events. The real goal is to not have @temmmeeee beat me by 100lbs. 😂

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, stranger said:

Block set- 150-155. Haven't trained block set but got my 158 a few times and I think I got my 164 so we'll see.

Saxon bar- 160?- never used one but I tried to simulate it with a 3x4 pinch block off a 8" pin and stood on bumper plates

2" NN- 350?- I've never used this either but I got 185 one hand righty and broke it off the ground a good bit lefty. 

LBH-160~ my PR is 170 but I got super close to 178. We'll see how my hand holds up after the other events. The real goal is to not have @temmmeeee beat me by 100lbs. 😂

I saw the vid of your 158 closes, and I think you may well get the 160 and win Kluv's $25 prize.

Saxon bar - I find the 3 inch width way harder than the 2 and 2.5, but based on your other numbers (which I realize may not correlate with pinch numbers), I would bet on you for over 170.  Just a guess, no clue of course.

If you do 185 in one hand I think you will top 350 with two.  Also just a guess of course.

LBH - Jedd's is probably VERY well-seasoned, so you may be surprised at how well you do.  But Tim might beat EVERYONE by 100 pounds lol.  I believe he has unofficially beaten the world record (maybe that's in the 270 range?  But too lazy to look it up now).

GLAD YOU CAN MAKE IT!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/19/2022 at 12:01 PM, Jedd Johnson said:

Here is the link to the Entry Form:   https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hCYI7uz3A_Dge1T-w6T2z4Nokt86-GR5/view?usp=sharing

I had to use Google Docs, because I'm having some difficulties uploading to my site, but this should work fine.

Please print and return the first two pages.

The order for the first event will be the Reverse Order of entries received.

I will keep an updated list of entries received, here:

Jedd Johnson
Josh Culpepper
Vinnie Rivellese
Nick Spencer
Pat Maizels
Vickie Spencer
Jason Dingey
Melissa Dingey
Vincent James Rivellese
Chez
Tim Butler
Nick Sanders

Good luck everyone!!

• Like 2

On 6/11/2022 at 5:12 PM, Vinnie said:

120+ class here. 
Saxon bar I’d like to see 260ish. 
NN I am shooting for 500 but will be happy with 475. 
LBH I am shooting for 220. 
I have no idea on grippers. None of mine are rated. So that should be fun. I think my best in 2017 was 132 so as long as it’s higher than that. 
Can’t wait to see everyone!

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Nick Sanders said:

120+ class here. 
I have no idea on grippers. None of mine are rated. So that should be fun. I think my best in 2017 was 132 so as long as it’s higher than that. 

Huge numbers! I'd like to see you pull 500 on NN! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nick Sanders said:

120+ class here. 

Wow!  Well, now you will know what gripper you can close.  Those other numbers - insane!  Good luck, see you tomorrow.

On 6/11/2022 at 6:12 PM, Vinnie said:

Vin, I don’t really feel like doing LBH, so I’m going to try and wrap it up with three events. Grippers go up to what, like 205, 210? I’ll do that, however many plates will fit on the pin for NN, and 300-something on the Saxon bar.😂🤣👊

• Haha 2

On 6/17/2022 at 10:31 PM, JasonD said:

Vin, I don’t really feel like doing LBH, so I’m going to try and wrap it up with three events. Grippers go up to what, like 205, 210? I’ll do that, however many plates will fit on the pin for NN, and 300-something on the Saxon bar.😂🤣👊

Almost!  Good thing you did the LBH.  Hate that implement lol.

On 6/7/2022 at 3:34 PM, Kluv#0 said:

The ladies 20 MM gripper winner I will give $50. In men's division 20 MM grippers, $25 to each athlete who closes gripper rated 160 or higher. All the best!

You know, I was thinking I had no chance at your prize, and that I'd be lucky to close 150 (I haven't trained in months other than an occasional few MMS reps here and there).  And I was right that I missed it, but it was pretty darn close after all.

So I got the 150 like butter in warm-ups, and the 155 also not too bad.  But the 160 I thought was really hard and left like a quarter inch.  So I figured I would get on the board with 150, do 155 for my second, and then have two shots at that 160.  Sure enough, 1st and 2nd attempt I got 150 and 155, no prob.  Already better than I thought I'd do, but now getting greedy.  So I went for the 160, and again, missed by like a quarter inch.  I hadn't tried the 165 because that's the most I ever MMS closed even without a block, and I was sure I was not in my top form, as confirmed by having so much trouble with the 160.  But I also noticed that Jedd and Luke had OPENED with the 165 (I think, or at least they had both done it by round 3 and were attempting 170 already).  So I thought, hey, I know they are both stronger than me, but I'm good on grippers and I've beaten both of them at individual gripper events before, so if they are closing 165 at an early attempt maybe I should just skip that rough 160 and try it.

Well I did, and I missed, but barely.  I was much closer than on the 160, and in fact I had to look at Jedd to know I didn't get it, and he had to peer closely at the handles to say so.

So I did miss it, but it was a PR performance for me anyway since I never closed even 155 with a block.  And a lot of guys did make the 165 and above (I don't think anyone actually closed the 160; the guys who got more started higher I believe).

Your name came up a few times as a sponsor and that was a really cool thing to do.  It was a great comp, and I will do a write-up of my overall experience with the above pasted into it, but I wanted to mention to you that you added a fun twist to it and people appreciated that.

Cheers!

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

You know, I was thinking I had no chance at your prize, and that I'd be lucky to close 150 (I haven't trained in months other than an occasional few MMS reps here and there).  And I was right that I missed it, but it was pretty darn close after all.

So I got the 150 like butter in warm-ups, and the 155 also not too bad.  But the 160 I thought was really hard and left like a quarter inch.  So I figured I would get on the board with 150, do 155 for my second, and then have two shots at that 160.  Sure enough, 1st and 2nd attempt I got 150 and 155, no prob.  Already better than I thought I'd do, but now getting greedy.  So I went for the 160, and again, missed by like a quarter inch.  I hadn't tried the 165 because that's the most I ever MMS closed even without a block, and I was sure I was not in my top form, as confirmed by having so much trouble with the 160.  But I also noticed that Jedd and Luke had OPENED with the 165 (I think, or at least they had both done it by round 3 and were attempting 170 already).  So I thought, hey, I know they are both stronger than me, but I'm good on grippers and I've beaten both of them at individual gripper events before, so if they are closing 165 at an early attempt maybe I should just skip that rough 160 and try it.

Well I did, and I missed, but barely.  I was much closer than on the 160, and in fact I had to look at Jedd to know I didn't get it, and he had to peer closely at the handles to say so.

So I did miss it, but it was a PR performance for me anyway since I never closed even 155 with a block.  And a lot of guys did make the 165 and above (I don't think anyone actually closed the 160; the guys who got more started higher I believe).

Your name came up a few times as a sponsor and that was a really cool thing to do.  It was a great comp, and I will do a write-up of my overall experience with the above pasted into it, but I wanted to mention to you that you added a fun twist to it and people appreciated that.

Cheers!

Great job Vinnie! You went big gripper and only missed by a fraction is awesome. #155 20 MM block set is terrific and a PR for you- incredible year you have had in grip! I have always said that you are pound for pound the finest at grippers in America. The best part is you did this contest with your son and those memories will never fade. I look forward to your always well-written contest write-up.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Vinnie said:

Cheers!

I got the 160, felt harder than the 165 to be honest.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, stranger said:

I got the 160, felt harder than the 165 to be honest.

Congrats, very impressive crush!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Kluv#0 said:

Congrats, very impressive crush!

Thank you! I went for the 170 after the 165 . It was an unofficial attempt but wayyyy harder than the 165. Maybe next time!

• Like 4